Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2002 12:25:07 AM EDT
What does a guy have to do to get a serious response here? I've posted several topics and have been greeted by what I would classify as "stoney silence". What gives? Is the general level of elitism so high that you won't respond seriously to anyone with under 500 posts? In one post I asked for advice on a problem I had with a rifle failing the basic function check (Hammer catching the collar on the firing pin when trigger held to rear). The most was read over 100 times with the only response coming from a board member (with a very high post count)stating that the weapon was designed that way. Posted a question about where to get a specific type of bolt carrier.....post has been read dozens of times and the only response has been to ask if I was looking for an M16 bolt carrier. I was going to pay the membership fee to use these boards when GoatBoy first started posting about them, but after the assnine way some very simple questions were answered I figured I would hold off and see if things would get better. I really didn't see the sense of paying $60.00 a year to be ignored and lied to. I even went so far as changing my profile because reading it made it obvious that I'm a cop, and there was a lot of LEO bashing going on around here at the time. I guess the long and the short of it boils down to one simple question: Is this strictly a forum for the "good ol' boys" with astronomocal post counts, or is this a forum for ALL AR and firearms enthusiasts? I know that some of you are going to take this personally, but I really don't care. How many good people that could have been active contributors to this site have been put off by the elitism. Might be interesting to get GoatBoy to drum up the number of users with less than 50 or 100 posts that haven't logged on in over 6 months. I'd be willing to bet that whatever the number is, over half of them have the same complaint.

Feel free to flame away at this point. It won't matter to me because I'm probably not coming back.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Dude, you need to chill out.  I have only been posting here for a few weeks and am very satisfied with the number of knowledgeable responses to my posts.  Did you ever stop to think maybe it's in the way that you word your posts?  Seems like you have a chip on your shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think people are ignoring you on purpose.  It might be that you are asking your questions in the wrong forum or that you are asking a question that has been asked many times before.  It's always good to do a search before asking a question to see if it's been discussed recently.  Also, I have found that when you ask a question in the right forum, for example asking about that bolt carrier in "Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, and more" or "Wanted To Buy / Wanted To Trade", might get more responses than in the "General Firearm Discussion" forum.  Many times the moderator of that forum will answer as he/she is an expert or at least very knowledgeable in their forums subject.

While cop bashing does happen, I think the overwhelming majority of members here support cops.  Quite a few of them are cops.

I personally think most of the active membership are good people.  Down to earth and definitely not elitist.  Stick around.  I've posted many times with few or no responses.  It's no big deal.

It's up to you, but I hope you stay.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#5]
A few thing could have contributed to the lack of responses...

What forum did you ask the questions in ?
Sometimes some of the guys here stick to only certain areas of the site...

Just because 100 people read the topic, doesn't mean ANY of them had an answer to your question...

Is it possible your question sounded a bit "questionable"
like:  M16 Bolt carrier ???

Most folks here do not own class 3 firearms, and aggressivly attack, or ignore any questions related to a possible illegal part source, or Machinegun conversion advice...

I don't know the nature of your question, so I don't know why it wasn't answered...

I did see you were asking about the hammer catching on the firing pin...

This is NORMAL in a AR equipped with the correct SEMI-auto AR15 bolt carrier...

I too had this problem, and didn't like it at all...
I modified a M16 bolt carrier so as to not EVER be able to function as full auto...
The M16 carrier has a longer hammer ramp that shrouds the firing pin...

You absolutely MUST cut back, or grind off the lower rear part of the carrier so it is unable to be used as a full auto part...

Any of you guys that say this is illegal, you are WRONG...

All Proffessional Ordnance guns come with the longer shrouded hammer ramp, and no provison for full auto use...
So in other words, the extended hammer ramp characteristic is not the illegal part of the bolt carrier, only the tail end of it...

I got tired of replacing beat up and bent firing pins, so that is what I did to correct it...

Good luck on your quest for answers...

Another bit of advice...
Try joining in on a few topics, just to be noticed...
Might make a few friends that way...

Oh, lose the chip on your shoulder too...
You're not the only cop in here...

Most of the cops in here go unnoticed and fit right in with the rest of us "civilians"

Many of us may not be cops ourselves but do come from the LE background...

My Dad was a cop for 35+ years, retired as Cheif in '95 (passed away 10/01/01)

One of 3 brothers is soon to be hired on a local PD...

This Summer I will be attending a PA police academy to open up my career options...

I think you wold be surprised at how many LEO's are here regularly...

Hang in there...
It ain't tht bad...

You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by staying, and learning...
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:40:06 AM EDT
[#6]
You have yet to learn the "secret handshake".[peep]

Once I posted a question on the "Rolex-Timezone.com" forum and I only got a couple replies.  What a bunch of elitist !@#$%^&*!!!!  Guess I'm one because I too own one.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:51:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:33:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once I posted a question on the "Rolex-Timezone.com" forum and I only got a couple replies.  What a bunch of elitist !@#$%^&*!!!!  Guess I'm one because I too own one.  
View Quote

[i]Rolex?[/i] Good grief, man!  You simply [i]must[/i] obtain a [i]proper[/i] wrist-chronometer, such as a Patek Philippe.  
Good Gawd, man!

[:D]
View Quote

I know, I know.  Rolex is not the best in the world but me thinks every watch collector should have at least one.  It's just funny how people get mad on message boards and call everyone an elitist 1@#$%^& when their question goes unanswered.

Fear not, Patek Philippe Ref. 3998 is on my list.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:49:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Just learned two more things about the AR. Thanks! I never knew how much I didn't know till I got here.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:55:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Nobody answered the obvious...

GOOD F'ing riddence!!!!

Twit!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Easily frusrated........aahh...the early stages of alzhiemers!!!............[frag]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#14]
U mus rearn patience grasshopper.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does a guy have to do to get a serious response here? [...]

View Quote

(You should see some of the emails and IMs I occasionally get from AR15.com members- boys will be boys...)
View Quote

hey, that could be fun! how about you remove incriminationg ids and start a thread?

and dc, give it a chance. i didnt know you existed, nor would i have known the answer, so it's not elitism, just simple ignorance. i keep an eye open for people i can help, but if i dont know, i try to keep it to myself.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:43:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What does a guy have to do to get a serious response here? I've posted several topics and have been greeted by what I would classify as "stoney silence". What gives? Is the general level of elitism so high that you won't respond seriously to anyone with under 500 posts? In one post I asked for advice on a problem I had with a rifle failing the basic function check (Hammer catching the collar on the firing pin when trigger held to rear). The most was read over 100 times with the only response coming from a board member (with a very high post count)stating that the weapon was designed that way. Posted a question about where to get a specific type of bolt carrier.....post has been read dozens of times and the only response has been to ask if I was looking for an M16 bolt carrier. I was going to pay the membership fee to use these boards when GoatBoy first started posting about them, but after the assnine way some very simple questions were answered I figured I would hold off and see if things would get better. I really didn't see the sense of paying $60.00 a year to be ignored and lied to. I even went so far as changing my profile because reading it made it obvious that I'm a cop, and there was a lot of LEO bashing going on around here at the time. I guess the long and the short of it boils down to one simple question: Is this strictly a forum for the "good ol' boys" with astronomocal post counts, or is this a forum for ALL AR and firearms enthusiasts? I know that some of you are going to take this personally, but I really don't care. How many good people that could have been active contributors to this site have been put off by the elitism. Might be interesting to get GoatBoy to drum up the number of users with less than 50 or 100 posts that haven't logged on in over 6 months. I'd be willing to bet that whatever the number is, over half of them have the same complaint.

Feel free to flame away at this point. It won't matter to me because I'm probably not coming back.
View Quote

Oh! Chill up will ya?....Look at my post number and I still don't get the response or answer I want.....SO WHAT?  

Are you another cry baby?  [>Q]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:47:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Aaaaah  we hardly knew ya!  AMF
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#18]
It took me quite a while to figure this out but... you have to be part of the "In crowd."  There are apparently a lot of unwritten rules for you to actually be accepted here.  I think that tatjana hit most of them.  There is apparently a certain number of posts that you must hit to be see as a serious member.  The best advice that I can give you would be to ask a friend to sign up & then use these boards to send cryptic messages to each other, ones that only you guys understand.  This will make everybody else jealous & then they will want to join you.

This is not just the answer for "you might be a redneck if" but you also have to be able to say with great sincerity that "AR15.com has changed my life!"

BTW, no one ever replies to my posts either.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I see your problem- you posted in Troubleshooting...

Nobody reads the Troubleshooting forum! It's nothing but problems, problems, problems!  Everybody over there seems to have something wrong with their rifles.  What's the matter with those guys?  Now take a look at Meetings and Events- now THOSE guys have fine functioning firearms, never miss a beat!  Plus, they have a social life. How DO they do it?!!?

Oh, wait...

[:P]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:39:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I stop reading after a sentence or two when it is obvious the poster doesn't know when to mix in a paragraph break.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:48:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Post counts don't mean squat.  If anyone out there treats posters differently because of their post count, then that is pretty sad.

I felt I was accepted here from day one.  Its not about post counts, its about how you act and how you contribute.  Being a "newbie" is the best possible position to be in since it is totally up to you what people's impressions of you are.

As for your being offended that nobody answered your posts, ask a reasonable question, you WILL get several reasonable answers.  Sometimes it takes a while but somebody here will help you.  If nobody that happens to see the post knows, well, what am I supposed to say?

Changing your profile to hide the fact that your a cop because of how you THINK people are here?  First off, that is really sad.  Are you not proud of who and what you are?  Second off, have you not seen any of the thousand or so posts about the Hero Rifles?  Do a search for Hero Rifle and you will see what our attitude towards LEOs is.

If you go away, its because YOU quit and walked away for some perceived slight.  No one here made or asked you to leave.  

[b]I personally don't want to see any member leave, especially feeling slighted but, what can I do?  Goodbye rants are stupid.  Shit blows over and you feel better tomorrow and then what?  I guess everybody gets one free do-over.  After all, Steyr is back! (Glad to see you posting again BTW!![beer])[/b]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#23]
ahh, it's a shame- it looks like this guy is gone for good...  
 now, to add to my post count... :)
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:55:34 AM EDT
[#24]
OH well, I think he's gone.
I know what he means though. I would just reword my question or ask agian. Stupid question or not we still need the answer. I have learned a lot from AR15 board members, and theres plenty more to learn.
Firepower
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OH well, I think he's gone.
I know what he means though. I would just reword my question or ask agian. Stupid question or not we still need the answer. I have learned a lot from AR15 board members, and theres plenty more to learn.
Firepower
View Quote

Absolutely!....Got to learn to be patient.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I see your problem- you posted in Troubleshooting...

Nobody reads the Troubleshooting forum!
View Quote

The Troubleshooting forum is a PIA for several reasons:

1.  it's usually the Frankenguns that aren't working right.  Well, you get what you pay for.  Silk purse, sow's ear, that type of thing.

2.  the owner often ignores the TM on cleaning, lubing, troubleshooting, then bitches the rifle won't function.  When somebody tells them to follow written procedure first, they get shouted down as "CLP Nazis"
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Whats a "post count?".........[spank]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Maybe someone should start a thread where everyone could increase thier post count?  That way everyone has a chance to gain instant respect?

TheRedGoat

PS.  Only kidding, DonR, play nice!  [;)]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey,I've been a member since the early part of last year.I have a low number of post,only because I never really knew how to post,but I'm learning.I have picked up lots of info just by reading other's responce's,and for that I say thanks....
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
(I say that because, at least on this board, there are only girls, and women, it seems.  Women wear wedding bands, girls don't).
View Quote

Hello tatjana,

I know that this is a little off-topic here, but I just wanted to make things clear. According to [i]The Official Staff and Moderator Handbook[/i] (hardcover, 3rd edition, page 856, paragraph 2), the guidelines clearly proclaim that "The female human species, regardless of age, race, religious faith, sexual orientation, or marital status, shall be recognized as "[b]Womenz[/b]", and shall be treated with the upmost respect at all times."

Hope this helps. [:D]

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As you might guess by my name (and my picture), I'm a girl.  (I say that because, at least on this board, there are only girls, and women, it seems.  Women wear wedding bands, girls don't).
View Quote

Imbroglio could change that if you're ready! [;)]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#33]
As a two year reader and lurker,and a three month member, I understand a little of the poster's comments. To add to my post count, Ill
say, "Dont take it all so seriously". I like this place because among other aspects, it makes me laugh(remember the tinfoil hat thread?), and gives me certain insights into a diverse group of people who share an interest.
As a pre-internet adult,still dealing with the "computer revolution", I have a blast reading the rants of people who reveal certain things here and probably nowhere else.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
(I say that because, at least on this board, there are only girls, and women, it seems.  Women wear wedding bands, girls don't).
View Quote

Hello tatjana,

I know that this is a little off-topic here, but I just wanted to make things clear. According to [i]The Official Staff and Moderator Handbook[/i] (hardcover, 3rd edition, page 856, paragraph 2), the guidelines clearly proclaim that "The female human species, regardless of age, race, religious faith, sexual orientation, or marital status, shall be recognized as "[b]Womenz[/b]", and shall be treated with the upmost respect at all times."

Hope this helps. [:D]

Tyler
View Quote

I have multiple violations to report!  Please send me the required forms!  ;)
View Quote

I haven't been here all that long but I was under the impression that there were girls (unmarried females), women (married females) and  [i]womenz[/i] (do-able females, and from the tastes of some of the guys here it's a pretty broad classification, i.e. in some cases a breathing female suffices...) [V]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#37]
BULLSHIT! Human curiousity(sp) being what it is, this person is reading everyone of these post but is ashamed to come back on and admit he/she was wrong. Grow a pair!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

A rolex?  With a screen name like yours?  What is this world coming to?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Time for me to get post count up so I can be cool, too. Well, is it working? Am I cool now? Am I? Huh? Well?
I want my secret handshake!

Not cool in   Oregon
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Your cool Commando_Guy, just not quite as cool as me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't know about anyone else but for the last past 3 months you have had three post and 20 replies to them most of them where good ones also. That comes out to 6.666666666666 average per post
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Thx, Pangea. Now I feel better, and have something to aspire to   lol

Nick
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#43]
FWIW, I don't respond to posts unless I have a legitimate answer. There is nothing personal in members' refusal to respond. Often, when I see an interesting question that I'm also ignorant of (I mean this in the politely sense), I will check on it to see if someone more knowledgable has replied. Passive observation is how I learn the most from the forums. I'd estimate that  I've accumulated roughly 80% of my AR knowledge this way.

If someone has a personal probolem, then that's exactly what it is - a [i]personal[/i] problem. Since you're in LE, I'd think you would understand, short of being directly, physically attacked, not to take things personally. A few [LE bashers] don't spoil the whole bunch, to borrow a pun. You'll find that you have quite a few supporters of your field of endeavor. Check out the section devoted to LE/Mil/EMS/Paramed/et al.

I've found that, even when folks here disagree, they will still come back to civility and show the proper decorum. In the end, we're all on the same team.

Respectfully,
Spence
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Well, ya got 25 + replies so far. ;-)

BTW, I'm a newbie too but mostly lurk until I figure the place out.  Stick around.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Although I hunted, shot, and reloaded for years, I knew nothing about the AR except to load it, shoot it and clean it.  Reading posts here opened up many options.

I learned the Marine manual is the one to use; Glen Zediker's book contains a wealth of information;  and the posts many times answer the questions not in the books.

I put a top end on, should have said upper huh, and changed out the trigger, and will put together some kits when time allows.  Before I would have had no trouble getting them apart, but putting them back together is sure easier when you know how.

If I can offer some information or advice, I'll type out a reply.  If not I'll go on.  The suggestion to use the search feature is one thing I learned from reading the replies to this post.

Had I seen your post, I would have replied that I had seen something on that question, probably in Zediker's book and would confirm such and advise.  Haven't hit troubleshooting for 5 months because haven't had a problem.

Hang in there, you'll learn mucho.

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#46]
I think the topic poster is a testimony to 1) how thin-skinned and easily offended some people are and 2) how many folks think the WWW is a well-ordered discussion mechanism, or ought to be.

The Internet is a wonderful illustration of the impossibility of evolution: a bazillion monkeys typing at keyboards produce nothing resembling Shakespeare.

Good grief!  How can any reasonable person expect that in the random ebb-and-flow of AR15.com, that you'll get 100% hits on your enigmatic posts?  Get real!

[b]I love this place![/b]  I have learned SOOOO MUCH about my favorite rifle, I'm now on the road to building my own.  And the General Discussion forum is like watching the crowds at your favorite shopping mall.  Dive in and get involved, or sit back and watch the fun.  And who gives a hoot about post counts?!?!?!

[b]Mall ninjas and 1,000 AR-toting monkeys, AR15.com has it all![/b]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#47]
DC , you are not the only LEO in the bunch.
Give it a chance, you may be surprised. Search your topic first. This site has the most experienced folks in the GREAT U.S.A.

TNT
                       [50]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#48]
look at my sorry  # of posts
[50][50][50][50][50][50] just have a good time man.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Too bad you feel that way fella.

Looks like you've already been given some pretty sound advice so I won't muddy the waters with more.

I have felt at home from day one on this forum.  Additionally, I have met and not met folks that I consider to be pretty top-notch people.  Through phone calls, e-mails and direct contact I have found most eveyone herein to be quite friendly and eager to help when called upon.

As time goes by and as you become more familiar with us and we you......as you "learn" the other members and likewise, and as your posting style gets into sycn, you will feel more at home.

To me, this forum is only a microcosmic example of the real world we grind through everyday.

The same ups and downs as it has the same folks.

FWIW, I'd hate to see any member leave over something like this.  Heck, I had to get up to 1000 posts before anyone would talk to me......Imbroglio did, but that is another story all together.

[beer]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top