Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2002 12:30:44 PM EDT
I know this is not news, but I came across this link.
[url]http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2002/tst032502.htm[/url]

April 15th is coming, and you’re getting ready to file your tax return. Throughout the year you paid federal taxes through withholding, including Social Security payroll taxes. You also paid state income taxes, unless you’re fortunate enough to live in Texas or another state without an income tax. You paid local property taxes. You paid local sales taxes every time you bought something, and you paid numerous miscellaneous taxes such as vehicle license fees and federal gas taxes. Like most people, you probably feel taxed to death by all these city, county, state, and federal taxes. Well, hold on to your wallets, because the United Nations now wants to impose a whole new level of global taxes on us.

The UN is meeting this week in Monterrey, Mexico to discuss exactly such a tax. The meeting is billed as a "Conference on Financing for Development," which is a nice way of saying it’s a conference to consider the best ways to shake down rich nations for money. UN bureaucrats think rich nations like America ought to give more money to poor nations- a lot more- simply because we’re rich. Never mind the billions of foreign aid tax dollars we send overseas every year; never mind the billions donated to overseas charities by Americans, the most charitable people on earth. The UN mindset blames the western world for poverty everywhere, assuming that our relative wealth must have come at the expense of the third world. The poor countries themselves are never deemed responsible for their own predicaments, despite their often corrupt governments, lack of property rights, and hostility toward wealth-producing capitalism. Somehow, it’s always our fault. So the UN holds conferences to talk about how we should pay to make things right, and the idea of a UN tax naturally arises.

Understand that the UN views itself as the emerging global government, and like all governments, it needs money to operate. The goal, which the UN readily admits, is to impose a comprehensive set of global laws on all of us- laws that supersede sovereign national governments. To do this, the UN needs a global military, a global police force, international courts, offices around the globe, and plenty of highly-paid international bureaucrats. All of this costs money.

Rest assured that the UN is absolutely serious about imposing a global tax. In fact, it has been discussing a global currency tax for years. The "Tobin tax," named after the Yale professor who proposed it, would be imposed on all worldwide currency transactions. Such a tax could prove quite lucrative for the UN, given the vast amount of currency that trades hands at certain times. It also might be a politically acceptable starting point, because most average people do not engage in cross-border currency transactions. A dangerous precedent would be set, however: the idea that the UN possesses legitimate taxing authority to fund its operations.

The Tobin tax is not the only idea being considered. Some have suggested taxing all airline travel or carbon emissions. The ultimate goal is an income tax, which will be imposed after we’ve all swallowed the concept of UN taxing authority.
 continued...
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
They are welcome to come and try to collect, I have no problem with killing them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn U.N. BASTARDS. I get so FUCKIN tired of people trying to take away MY hard earned money. Everytime I turn around somebodys got thier hand out. The government is always thier to take your money and limit your rights. It proves the old saying true " The only definits in life are death and taxes". We should pull out of the U.N. Everytime the U.S. askes for help from any other nation but England they balk about helping us. They are always open to free American Aid though. Its enough to make any Patriotic American sick. CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They are welcome to come and try to collect, I have no problem with killing them.
View Quote

Unfortunately, you and I won't have anything to say about it. Agents of the US government will collect it, and happily fork it over to the UN in the form of "dues money"
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
POTUS said that he would assist the UN's efforts in starting a world wide tax on tobacco if I understand correctly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]
if Texas has no income tax, how do they fund state government?
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
if Texas has no income tax, how do they fund state government?
View Quote

Property taxes, sales/use taxes, lottery, various fees.

There are some public funds/services that other states offer that we don't.  We also have a small bueraucracy for a state our size.

Because we don't have an income tax, we don't lose out a lot on illegal or other under-the-table labor.  If a non-taxpaying (federally) worker buys anything beyond staples or rents/owns property, then he's still contributing taxes.

It's got it's good and bad side.  When property values are high or consumers are buying a lot, then the state rakes in the cash.  Texas was doing really well in the mid-to-late 90s.

When property values drop or consumers slow buying, then returns fall also.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
We will never agree to this, ever, it would be the begining of the end of our soverignty.

I feal that we are begining the long march out of the UN anyways, the small arms confrence, with us basically walking out on it was a good first start.

Dirty UNdies
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Not only should we stop feeding 1/2 the ungrateful world, but stop exporting AIDS medication as well.  It is slow but it DOES work!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#11]
that's almost inconcievable, no income taxes. I'm from NYC and I've been paying taxes since I was I think 14. I should move to Texas at the first opportuniy, what's the other state?
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Great, just what I want, another group of people trying to assert their authority over me.  

To answer your question about income taxes, no matter where you live, the government gets their money.  I used to live in VT, we had income taxes, now I live in WA and don't have them.  The catch is the higher sales tax and gas tax etc.  Some states like NH take less money from you, but you lose some valuable services.  NH schools are notoriously bad.  

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't mind paying a lot more taxes if I got more back.  If it meant, better schools, public transportation, health care for everyone and lower tuition it would be worth it.  I think certain European countries really have their act together.  I wouldn't mind getting paid paternity leave from work and good benefits if I got laid off.  Plus, many European countries have much less ridiculous class 3 laws.  Oh man, to be able to buy an MP-5 for less than $1500 would be great.  There are lots great things about this country, but we are sorely lacking in some departments.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
that's almost inconcievable, no income taxes. I'm from NYC and I've been paying taxes since I was I think 14. I should move to Texas at the first opportuniy, what's the other state?
View Quote

We still pay Federal income tax just not state income tax. I can't remember what the other state is.
Nothing but you is stopping you from moving...
View Quote

There are actually 4 or 5 states with no state income tax.  Tennessee is one of them (if you remember back to last year, we almost had riots in Nashville when the state legislature tried to enact one (against our constitution, FYI))

New Hampshire is another one (it also does not have SALES TAX, I believe.)
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I pray everynight: "Please God, let the U.S. be invaded by blue bereted U.N. troops, preferably French and Italian." Does that make me a bad person?

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I pray everynight: "Please God, let the U.S. be invaded by blue bereted U.N. troops, preferably French and Italian." Does that make me a bad person?

View Quote

Sounds like good target practice to me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#18]
No income tax here in Florida either. I know of 3 states: Florida, Texas, and Tennessee who don't have state income taxes.

We have a 6% Base sales tax with a county option for an additional 1%. But, somehow Escambia has gotten away with 7.5%.

Seminole, Osceola, and Saint Lucie Counties have a 7% Sales Tax. Santa Rosa has a 6.5% Sales Tax and most the rest of the state has a 6% Sales Tax. But, I have heard Santa Rosa Island has an 11.5% Sales Tax. I haven't purchased anything on the Beach (Santa Rosa Island), so I cannot confirm the accuracy of that rumor.

We also have a thriving lottery which also pays for the Florida Bright Futures scholarhip which covers 75% of my tuition. I was told that Texas Communtiy Colleges are/were free to Texas Residents. Again, I have not confirmed this.

We also have a thriving tourist industry. As much as I despise yankees, they do spend alot of money (6% of which goes to the state).
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#19]
French and Italian UN troops invading the US? That would be too funny! You would see them surrendering to mailmen, boyscouts, girlscouts, crossing guards and especially mall ninjas!

Wonder what you can do with a bloody blue beret?
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh, and in South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade) we also have voters dumb enough to punch "YES" beside the ballot issue "Do you authorize unlimited ad valorum property taxes for the children, parks, etc..." and not only once, but every election cycle.

I am not kidding about the "For the Children" part. I'll have to pull out my practice ballot and see, but it said something along those lines.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#21]
In the past, when deciding where to relocate, I've used these two sites as primary references:

[url=http://taxes.yahoo.com/statereport.html]Yahoo's State Tax Profile Reference[/url]

and

[url=http://www.packing.org]Packing.org[/url]

-kill-9
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I was told that Texas Communtiy Colleges are/were free to Texas Residents. Again, I have not confirmed this.
View Quote

I had to pay when I attended community college.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top