Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2002 6:39:18 AM EDT
Why do only “Tactical” shotguns and rifles have pistol grips?  I would prefer a rifle and shotgun with a pistol grip for all situations, especially for carry in the field while hunting.  What which do you prefer?  Why do manufacturers only sell hunting models with “standard” stocks and grips?  Can anyone explain it for me?
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You can get any stock you want as long as it isn't on an 'assault rifle'.
(where's that vomit smiley when you need it)
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You can get any stock you want as long as it isn't on an 'assault rifle'.
(where's that vomit smiley when you need it)
View Quote

Not in Jersey you can't...
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine do.

But the funny thing is how common sporter stocks are called "pistol grip" to differentiate them from English straight stocks.

On my next pig hunt I fully intend to use a AUG.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine do, their called AR10's.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The way a traditional hunting rifles stock is configured makes it difficult to use a pistol grip. You can't have a pistol grip dropping off of a standard stock, since that brings your hand down too low to operate the bolt and safety quickly. You could use a thumb hole stock, which feel great, but they slow down how fast you can operate the rifles bolt and safety. I guess that this only applies to bolt action rifles.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#6]
If they had a pistol grip, they would be eeevilll.......
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
You can buy aftermarket stocks with pistol grips for many commercial rifles.

I think the primary reasons why pistol gripped hunting rifles are hard to find is that most hunters are used to the function and looks of standard stocks.  That is probably a big part of the reason why the army chose the M14 over the FAL.  And it is not like standard stocks suck.  Well designed ones, like the M14's, work very well.  Winchester, Remington, Ruger and Savage do not make pistol gripped rifles because they think they would not sell very many, and I bet they are right.  There is probably also some fear that they would offend PC sensibilities by putting out such a rifle.

There is also some truth to what Shoowallagager says above, and some bolt actions would have to be redesigned.  Other bolt actions work fine with the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, Sen. Schumer says that pistol grips a so that the shooter can "spray bullets from the hip".

The funny thing, is that in military training, they never teach you that "spray bullets from the hip" trick.  AND they still insist that military rifles HAVE a pistol grip.

Mysterious....
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can buy aftermarket stocks with pistol grips for many commercial rifles.

There is also some truth to what Shoowallagager says above, and some bolt actions would have to be redesigned.  Other bolt actions work fine with the pistol grip.
View Quote
I put the Choate Ultimate Sniper stock on both my Savage bolts and I think that it is actually a more natural motion to come up on the bolt than having to move your hand forward first as you would with a traditional stock.  The Choate stock has a pistol grip as part of the open loop buttstock.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I prefer Semi-autos (shotguns & rifles) to have pistol grips.

Helps to quickly bring the muzzle back down, for the next shot.

I don't like them on bolts or pumps.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually, Cin, when I was in basic, at Ft. Jackson, in 86, during BRM, one of the things displayed to us was how to fire the M-16 from the hip.

Not very accurate that way, but does provide covere fire.

WL
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Look at most of the high-end target rifles: International, silhouette, biathlon, Chev Truck Challange, etc.  Even air rifle.  You'll see they have a grip that's close to the shape, angle & position of a pistol grip stock.  They usually have the butt part attached top & bottom, but I think that's more for wood strength than anything else.  

I'll have to look into the NJ rules. I think the "no pistol grips" routine is only for semi-autos.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#14]
[green]Remington 7400 .30-06 Carbine[/green]
Hunt. Kill. Eat. [;d]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/BusMaster007%2FBusMaster007%2520%26%25207400%2520grass%2520right%25201%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actually, Cin, when I was in basic, at Ft. Jackson, in 86, during BRM, one of the things displayed to us was how to fire the M-16 from the hip.

Not very accurate that way, but does provide covere fire.

WL
View Quote

Why not just leave the butt in your shoulder?
Army...

(...did the Army also teach you how to pull grenade pins with your teeth? [;)])
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree with LarryG. That Chaote stock is nice. I haven't handled one Yet.
Hey BusMaster007, Were did ya git that stock for the Rem 7400??
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I agree with LarryG. That Chaote stock is nice. I haven't handled one Yet.
Hey BusMaster007, Were did ya git that stock for the Rem 7400??
View Quote

Choate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#18]
If rifles and shotguns don't have a straight grip than it is called a pistol grip. However, it is not like the pistol grip that is on an assault rifle. Makes you wonder why the disparity.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#19]
The lack of a pistol grip makes a rifle more compact and therefore obstructs less of your view when hanging in back window of your pickup.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top