Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2002 6:08:49 AM EDT
So the members of "The Academy", a self-avowed bunch of racists , are now smugly patting themselves on the back for finally breaking their self-imposed "Color Barrier" on Best Actress award.

And Halley Berry is just SO grateful that massa'  has given her an Oscar and now the "door has been broken down" in motion pictures. (Even though Halle Berry is a hottie - My God she's such an idiot - I just couldn't watch her quivering-voiced ass-kissing of all of the HollywoodHypocrites in the audience. No bod is THAT good!!)

So for what - 74 years now, Hollywood lefties freely admit they've been racists discriminating against blacks? And they all stand and cheer each other and weep in self-agrandizing fashion?

Aren't these the same Hollywood left-wing freaks that call John Ashcroft a racist and say he shouldn't be Attorney General?

Aren't these the same Hollywood left-wing hypocrites that cheer when the Founding Fathers are denigrated as a bunch of old white men  slave-owners?

[b]I'm just waiting for ANY actor or director or writer or producer or studio head to come forward and RESIGN or pay reparations for the past treatment of blacks in Hollywood.[/b]

(it's gonna be a long wait!)

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#1]
If our culture were as tolerant and civilized as the Lefties would hope than this should be a non issue.  And to me it is a non-issue because I don't care about skin color.  The people making a big stink about this are the ones who need to drop their prejudices.

Her speech made me a little sick and it also made me see that we are going in the wrong direction to equality.

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, I was just wondering, why is it that Halle Barry is considered black when she has one white parent and one black parent ?? This phenomenon is also noticed with Tiger Woods. He has one black parent and the other is from Thailand. Before he became famous, he regularly mentioned that he was of Thai decent, after he "makes it big" he all of a sudden is ONLY black.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn't Tiger Wood's father half black/half American Indian?  Tiger should be considered a basic American but if you had to get all ethnic/racial, he's more Asian than anything. But in America, if you're even remotely dark skinned, African roots seem to precedence.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#4]
The oscars...[sleep][sleep][sleep][sleep][sleep]...who cares....
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Halle is a darn good looking woman and a decent actress as well.  Haven't seen the film so have no way of knowing if the award is appropriate.  All the black racist talk leading up to the awards, however, taints it this year as they were surely applying pressure.  I ignored the awards, just like I always do.

As far as Tiger, he makes me sick!  Originally I thought it was neat that he beat the white man at his own game with skill and humility.   Then he went black and made an ass out of himself IMHO.  Screw him!  Perfect example of a black racist.  Did I say screw him?  Yea, screw him.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Bunch of self-congratulatory fools.

I too couldn't stomach to watch the blubbering idiot Halle Berry (she cries like an infant with a messy diaper every time she gets an award) saying she has "opened the door for all the nameless faceless women of color."

Like what goes on in Hollywood really matters in the grand scheme of things.

No, sweetie, its was the US Armed forces that opened doors for "the nameless, faceless women of color" in Afghanistan this year - where finally they can get to attend school, get an education, and make a REAL contribution to the world - NOT some lame movie.

I did love the way Fox snubbed the Oscars as their lead story this morning. Meanwhile, Katie and Matt were fawning over the self-congratulatory fools.

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#7]
The reason is called the 'one drop' rule, and has been upheld by just about every court that's ever looked at it, including the US Supreme Court.

If you have 'one drop' of black blood in you, the state can 'reasonably' classify you as a black.

Most states have such a rule. In most the least amount of 'black' blood that is required for you to be classified as black is 1/32.

Meaning that out of the 32 great, great, great grandparents that you have, if only one were black, you would be too!

In the United States, a white woman can give birth to a black baby, but a black woman can never give birth to a white baby!

Talk about unfair, eh?

Eric The(Where'sTheNAACPOnThis?)Hun
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Wah! Wah! It's all acting ... and I want to thank the Academy!
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The reason is called the 'one drop' rule, and has been upheld by just about every court that's ever looked at it, including the US Supreme Court.

If you have 'one drop' of black blood in you, the state can 'reasonably' classify you as a black.
View Quote

Kind of like the old saying:

Put a drop of wine in a barrel of sewage - you get a barrel of sewage.

Put a drop of sewage in a barrel of wine - you get a barrel of sewage.

In the United States, a white woman can give birth to a black baby, but a black woman can never give birth to a white baby!
Talk about unfair, eh?
View Quote

Thus, the browning of America.

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Those poor, poor oppressed multi-millionaires.

Halle Berry's mother should be ashamed of herself for being a white oppressor.
Her father obviously couldn't stick around to raise her, because of all the injustice in the world.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Both Monster's Ball and  Training Day were excellent movies and Halle Berry and Denzel Washington gave outstanding performances and deserved their Oscars. Sidney Poitier had a commanding presence on film and truly broke color barriers.

Halle Berry went overboard in both her reaction and her speech, especially in referencing the significance of her color and the 74 year history in the context of Poitier's special Oscar. But, the night is over and the fact is that two black actors won and a third was presented a special achievement award. Life goes on and Hollywood now can pat each other on the back for this display, I don't really care that much.

What I found offensive was what an old white English man, Robert Altman, had to say about American Government.(It was reported on Drudge Report a couple weeks ago.) He's as bad or worse than Alec Baldwin.

Maybe the people of color in Hollywood are behaving in a more civil way than the white folk.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess she never heard of the phrase "token black".

As an aside, my wife wanted Ian McKellan to win to see if he will get up and kiss his boyfriend (they were holding hands).
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#13]
3 oscars in one night?

Umm...... can anyone say "GIFT"?

Did these come with an asterik?

*Award presented is not necessarilly bestowed on receipient for named preformance. Award is given to absolve a smoke and mirrors industry of any wrong doing, in past present and future.

"What? You want in this business? But you're not jewish."
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What I found offensive was what an old white English man, Robert Altman, had to say about American Government.(It was reported on Drudge Report a couple weeks ago.) He's as bad or worse than Alec Baldwin.
View Quote

He's an englishman? I thought he was an American... and typical left wing, hollyweird in-crowd, lauded director at that.

Maybe the people of color in Hollywood are behaving in a more civil way than the white folk.
View Quote

Well, when they are being honored, [u]most[/u] people do not behave in an uncivil way. They share their thoughts with us another time (as Denzel Washington has when he lost the Oscar bid one year).
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Talk about unfair, eh?

View Quote

Well yes.  Had I known all this, I would have picked my own cotton...

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/rolleyes2.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Kind of like the old saying:

Put a drop of wine in a barrel of sewage - you get a barrel of sewage.

Put a drop of sewage in a barrel of wine - you get a barrel of sewage.

Talk about unfair, eh?
View Quote

Thus, the browning of America.

View Quote

Let me try to understand this, are you basically equating any blood line other than white as sewage?

As for the "browning of America", I guess I'm guilty of that as I'm not white and my boys are part white.  Does this make me a target of your outrage?
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Let me try to understand this, are you basically equating any blood line other than white as sewage?

As for the "browning of America", I guess I'm guilty of that as I'm not white and my boys are part white.  Does this make me a target of your outrage?
View Quote

I'm creating an [u]analogy[/u].

Let me spell it out for you.

One drop "white blood" in a hispanic child = hispanic child.
One drop "hispanic blood" in a white child = hispanic child.

Thus by definition, "white heritage" is erased from all interracial births.

This is just one of the ways "white" Americans are becoming brown (hispanic & black) - by the thoroughly racist, anti-white notion that one hispanic great-great-grandparent defines a person as "hispanic" even though he may also be 15/16 white.

[b]As far you thinking what I wrote in this thread was me showing my "outrage"... dude, you don't know me very well do you? [:|]

When I am outraged, you'll know it.
[/b]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#21]
personally I don't think racism will ever get eradicated, it's too much part of human nature to make prejudiced disctinctions based on class, family, school, wealth, looks, race, gender, religion, political affiliation, job, geographic location, etc.

I've met some seriously racist people of practically every major racial group of this country. You'd think that with all this talk about equality that the lefties would acknowledge the universality of racism. Part of the problem is that there's an implication associated with the way racism is positioned in the public mind, that it involves some sort of white offense against black. Positioning is a very powerful tool in marketing. Even though you can redefine racism to include all races in either role, the way it's marketed to the American news consumer, racism means one thing, that blacks are oppressed by whites. Of course this is no accident, given the political clout of black racial empowerment groups lead by people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. They make a big deal out of every minor incident and keeps this fresh in the public mind as a constant reminder of their message that they're being oppressed. I've found that the best way to deal with this is to simply ignore it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#22]
This is how it works...if the Mother is Black then the children are classified has black. Example I am White my wife is black and on my children’s Birth Certificate they are classified Black with Religion has Jewish.

My wife and I protested and said we wanted Black And White entered. They refused it's the mothers bloodline they consider. You have no idea what we went through.

Now to the Oscars wonder how white actors feel about being snubbed. Kind of like affirmative action. Now they know how it feels not to get a job because of color. Remember the post here about that. I have to laugh there are no doors open here. Nothing has changed when Black's and for that matter any person of color are recognized for their achievements in not only acting but behind the cameras, producing and so on then there will be progress.

There was going to be a person of color awarded or there was going to be a boycott of the industry. It was a done deal no matter how crappy an actor is Plus she is more white than black. Look at her acting in the speech. I hope in the long run people no matter what color realize they are just people.

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Has any non-white person ever won the Oscar for best director?
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Where does this "one drop" rule get applied?  

The OMB manages the US Census, and provided a definition for racial identification.  They declared the following in 1997- see the next to last line:

... In reviewing OMB's decisions on the recommendations for collecting data on race and ethnicity, it is useful to remember that these decisions:

retain the concept that the standards provide a minimum set of categories for data on race and ethnicity;

permit the collection of more detailed information on population groups provided that any additional categories can be aggregated into the minimum standard set of categories;

underscore that self-identification is the preferred means of obtaining information about an individual's race and ethnicity, except in instances where observer identification is more practical (e.g., completing a death certificate);

do not identify or designate certain population groups as "minority groups";

continue the policy that the categories are not to be used for determining the eligibility of population groups for participation in any Federal programs;

do not establish criteria or qualifications (such as blood quantum levels) that are to be used in determining a particular individual's racial or ethnic classification; and

do not tell an individual who he or she is, or specify how an individual should classify himself or herself.
View Quote

[url]http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg/ombdir15.html[/url]

So, according to gov.org, you are who *you* say you are (at least for the census).  Unless, of course, you want to say you are "multi-racial", then you can't. But that's another issue apparently.

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I knew it. All of you people WERE at Academy Award parties. I managed to completely miss the show again this year.

There is nothing I despise more than seeing a big group of self-gratifying conceited commies giving each other awards on a 4 1/2 international tv broadcast.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is just one of the ways "white" Americans are becoming brown (hispanic & black) - by the thoroughly [b][u]racist, anti-white notion[/u][/b] that one hispanic great-great-grandparent defines a person as "hispanic" even though he may also be 15/16 white.
View Quote

Racist yes, anti-white.... well, the one-drop rule was invented by white people.  It was especially important in the days of slavery, since anyone who had a drop of black blood was legally non-white, and therefore could be a slave or a sub-citizen.  It is a historical fact that most children of black slave women were in fact mixed race, but were legally considered black.  Most black Americans in today's America are actually mixed race.  You shouldn't lean on black folk too hard for observing the remnants of the one-drop rule; the rule was inflicted on them for centuries, and at one time could mean life or a living death for them.

Regarding your one drop of sewage "analogy"; I will take your word for it that it was an analogy, but don't be offended if people ask you squarely what you mean by it.  My first reaction when I read it was not polite.  As Napoleon said, anything that can be misunderstood will be misunderstood.  This is an online forum, after all.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Regarding your one drop of sewage "analogy"; I will take your word for it that it was an analogy, but don't be offended if people ask you squarely what you mean by it.  My first reaction when I read it was not polite.  As Napoleon said, anything that can be misunderstood will be misunderstood.  This is an online forum, after all.
View Quote

Your point is well taken.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top