Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2002 5:00:37 PM EDT
Went to the FALFiles shoot today at Gibsons. Got to meet Jen (Falfiles admin) and few other folks. What a great shoot. RRotz brought his BAR and I got to shoot it. Man, that is one heavy ass rifle and the grip was a bit awkward, but nevertheless very fun to shoot. The recoil is not that bad either. Here's a pic:

[IMG]http://www.awesome-als.net/images/BAR.jpg[/IMG]

Here's a vid of the BAR's going at it. Its in an .mov format so you are gonna need a QuickTime player. Its the only format my digital camera takes.

[URL=http://www.awesome-als.net/netvids/Fibar.mov]Dueling B.A.R.[/URL]
[i]Best way to view it is to right click on the link and select "save as" Save it to your desk top and view[/i]

Few FALS in attendance
[IMG]http://www.awesome-als.net/images/FALS.jpg[/IMG]

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing the pics. Some nice FAL's for sure.

Man, that would be sweet getting to shoot that BAR.

Just how much does a BAR weigh?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
COOL!!!  [:)]

I'd have to spend all weekend at the range!

Browning Automatic Rifle

Operation Air cooled, gas operated, magazine fed, shoulder type
M1918A1 selective fire (fully and semi-automatic)
M1918A2 fully automatic
Caliber .30 (7.62 mm)
Muzzle velocity 853.4 mps (2800 fps)
Capacity 20-round detachable box magazine
(1) Bandoleer (BAR belt): 12 magazines
(2) Magazine changeable in 2-4 seconds
(but averaged 6-8 seconds in combat)
Weight 8.33 kg (18.5 lbs)
Overall length 119.4 cm (47 in.)
Rate of fire 550 rounds per minute
Effective range 550m (600 yds)
Ammunition (1) Ball M2; 150 gr bullet, 50 gr charge
(2) Tracer M25, M1: for designating targets and signalling
(3) Armor piercing M2 (black tip); 165gr/53gr
(4) Armor piercing incendiary: for lightly armored flammable targets

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
 Just how much does a BAR weigh?
View Quote

Damn thing felt like 50lbs. But I was told, loaded w/ bipod, it weighs around 30lbs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember seeing one of the machinegun videos produced by Dillon where they had a BAR.  They gave it to one of the Dillon Girls, and the first words out of her mouth were "You've got to be kidding!"

Necro: have you read Unintended Consequences?  I keep thinking of the stuff that they did with a BAR.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Necro: have you read Unintended Consequences?  I keep thinking of the stuff that they did with a BAR.
View Quote

Not yet, that's on the list though. I still have 2 more books to read before I get that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad humped a BAR in China, Burma and India in War2.  He was a big guy and said it was heavy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
yep thar BAR is a good example of good intensions gone wrong. The bar was to heave to be used as a rifle and its magazine was to small to be used effectively as a machinegun. think God things improved. I still can't help but grin when i think about the looks on the faces of the "old timer" type firearm makers when they got thier first looks at an AR15.

from wood and steel to high quality plastics and aluminum. lighter,higher capacity, faster firing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the pics & Mov. LT... er, I mean "Necromancer"!

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The BAR really got good when it morphed into the Browning FND. A quick-change barrel was the key to making the BAR a whole lot better.

Eric The(Unintended)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 2:26:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup, that's my Big Bertha the Beast.  It was like a wonderful BAR symphony out there, we were thinking of doing an alternating fire with mag change but didn't want to waste the 30.06.  Don't forget there were 2 cyclic rates on the 1918a2, slow (300 to 450 rpm) or fast (500 to 650 rpm.

Both of those BAR's are semi-auto receivers made by Ohio Ordnance on BAR kits (prolly from Israel) using Philadephia Ordnance 80% blanks.  OOW makes 2 patented parts in the trigger pack to make them semi-auto although the receivers do have a sear hole on the right side of the receiver.

I'm looking for an early WW1 type Prong flash hider if anyone knows where to get one, let me know!
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yup, that's my Big Bertha the Beast.  It was like a wonderful BAR symphony out there,
View Quote

Thanx again for letting me shoot that beast, it was a blast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top