Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2002 2:38:37 PM EDT
I have a an old pack of .30-06 mil surplus ammo that I have been shooting with my Garands.  A couple of the clips had really badly dented cartridges.  Wasn't sure whether they were OK, but being a suspenders-and-belt man I decided to dispose of them rather than shoot them.

So I pulled out the bullets and dumped the powder in a glass.  Now I have a glass about 1" full of gun powder.  I decide I'll just take it out back and burn it off.  Set it down in the kitchen and start hunting around for matches.  I look up just as the wife is dumping it into the garbage pail. [:(!]  She claims she thought it was a used tea bag.

I guess the only thing I can do now is make sure the garbage goes out wet.

Now that the wife has ruined plan 1 for the powder I'll move on to plan 2 for the primers.  Is there a good way to render these harmless without actually setting them off?  How about soaking in water?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Powder, put in a garden.  Good fertilizer.  For the primers, spray with WD40.  Soak them and they will be inert.

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot some pretty badly dented ammo before in different calibers and haven't had any problems. With the enormous pressure generated in the chamber when a shot is fired I don't think the dent could be a problem at all. It's probably gone before the bullet is completely expelled from the case.

As long as it will chamber I'll shoot it and it always comes out looking just like the rest of the brass with no sign of the previous dent.

But like has already been said, just dump unwanted powder in the yard. I'd also just throw the primed case in the trash as it's pretty harmless. I think an empty hairspray bottle would be more dangerous than a live primer in the trashcan.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Put the brass in the gun and shoot the primers. They make good blanks. CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot near a family dump and for yars we have been throwing our bad rounds into the dump. My dad plans to burn the dump this winter.

I told him light the flame and hit the ground.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I shoot near a family dump and for yars we have been throwing our bad rounds into the dump. My dad plans to burn the dump this winter.

I told him light the flame and hit the ground.
View Quote

Maybe fourth of July???
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My dad plans to burn the dump this winter.

View Quote

Didn't spring start last week?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Spring hasn't started in Ohio yet either. We're supposed to get several inches of snow tonight. Its been snowing all day. What do you know this is my first 100th post. CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The best way for me to dispose of old ammo is to blast it away.[heavy]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a range in my back yard.  I end up with a lot of live rounds of dubious quality.  I wait until I light a campfire and throw them in there.  Believe it or not, usually not a lot of noise and no danger.  Bullets will not fly with velocity sufficient to cause harm unless channelled.  It's kind of amusing the first time you throw a live round in the fire with a bunch of newbie's.  After a while it's a bit dull....

Black Fox
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top