Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2002 12:32:43 PM EDT
[size=4]A Secret Iran-Arafat Connection Is Seen Fueling the Mideast Fire[/size=4]
By DOUGLAS FRANTZ and JAMES RISEN The New York Times

TEL AVIV. American and Israeli intelligence officials have concluded that Yasir Arafat has forged a new alliance with Iran that involves Iranian shipments of heavy weapons and millions of dollars to Palestinian groups that are waging guerrilla war against Israel.

The partnership, officials said, was arranged in a clandestine meeting in Moscow last May between two top aides to Mr. Arafat and Iranian government officials. The meeting took place while Mr. Arafat was visiting President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, according to senior Israeli security officials who declined to describe the precise nature of their information.

The new alignment is significant for several reasons, American and Israeli officials said. In recent years, Iran's support for terrorism around the world has been on the wane, with the notable exception of its ties to Hezbollah, the militant group that fought for 18 years to expel Israel from southern Lebanon.

Israeli officials say they are alarmed by Mr. Arafat's alliance with Iran because they say it gives the Palestinians a powerful and well-armed patron in the increasingly violent conflict with Israel. [b]American officials echoed that concern and said they were also worried by intelligence reports that say Tehran is harboring Al Qaeda members, including one leader who recently tried to mount an attack against Israel from his sanctuary in Iran.[/b]

See remainder of legthy story at:[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nyt/20020323/ts_nyt/a_secret_iran_arafat_connection_is_seen_fueling_the_mideast_fire&printer=1[/url]

Eric The(Astonished-Not!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A Secret Iran-Arafat Connection Is Seen Fueling the Mideast Fire
View Quote

[img]http://www.plantationbnb.com/pics/film/rhett.jpg[/img]

"Quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I think you're gonna get a lot of miles with that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Gee, and I thought all along that you boys were skeered spitless that American GIs would one day wind up in Israel protecting the almighty Holy Zionist Empire!

Guess not!

Well, just sit quietly on the sidelines while history is being played out. Put some kettle corn on, lean back and enjoy.

It only gets [u]more[/u] interesting from now on.[:D]

Eric The(Concerned)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Like I say............
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Man...I would`nt want to go up against isreal.......as far as I`m concerned...they do it right ...they DO NOT fuck around......sometimes I wish the U.S. would take a few lessons from them........
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Is blackandgreen a new nick?

I've been lurking here for years, he had 2700 posts????

I must be in the wrong forum.

WL
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gee, and I thought all along that you boys were skeered spitless that American GIs would one day wind up in Israel protecting the almighty Holy Zionist Empire!

Guess not!

Well, just sit quietly on the sidelines while history is being played out. Put some kettle corn on, lean back and enjoy.

It only gets [u]more[/u] interesting from now on.[:D]

View Quote

Eric,
I'm thinking the lack of reaction is mostly because this news is not new.

I'm betting you vaguely remember the PLO freighter loaded with weapons from Iran recently seized by the Israeli's ?

OOps got to go check the kettle corn !
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sit on the sidelines? As opposed to what? [>:/]

With all due respect, just WHAT are you expecting from us?

Kettle corn? Ack!

Pretzel rods, maybe.

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#11]
It is however a reminder to the ignorant among us who are under the delusion that Iran was "moderating" until Bush included them in his 'axis of evil'.

They were back to supporting new terrorist groups (Palestinian and not Lebanese this time) and allowing Al-Qaida fighters to escape over the border and find sanctuary in their country, as well as attempting to destabilise the new Afghan government. Bush warned them in his speech [u]after[/u] those actions were taken.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally I would like nothing more then to go to israel and fight alongside them against thier enemies.

can you say "i would like my palestinian DEEP fried please [devil]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Post from 5subslr5 -
I'm betting you vaguely remember the PLO freighter loaded with weapons from Iran recently seized by the Israeli's ?
View Quote

You mean like this:[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=86518[/url]  Yeah, how could I forget?

Eric The(JustAnotherExampleOfUS-IsraeliCooperation!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Post from The_McCallen -
With all due respect, just WHAT are you expecting from us?
View Quote

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

Eric The(Really)Hun[>]:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top