Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2010 4:54:52 PM EDT
It seems my 6yr old Kenmoore frig has gone on the fritz. I noticed the pop in the frig was not very cold last night, and everything was lukewarm this am. I've done all the troubleshooting in the manual, including making sure the coils are clean and the fan in the rear is working. It is and it comes on and off like normal. The freezer portion, which below in this model, is working fine. Everything including the ice cream is frozen. The frig portion is definitely not working. Any ideas before I likely pay out the behind to have it serviced tomorrow???

Thanks again to all, it turned out it was the 2nd blower motor that forced air from the freezer below to the fridge above. $44.00, some flesh off the fingers and a few hours time. FYI, if someone has a similar problem with a Kenmoore Elite series with the freezer on the bottom, this particular motor is behind a panel inside the freezer instead of in the back.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
There is another fan, behind a panel in the freezer compartment that blows the cold air into the refer compartment. If this fan stopped, the freezer stays fine, but the fridge warms up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Savvy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same thing happen las year and I found that the defrost circuit on the main board blew.  If you go to Appliance parts.com and find your model number it will tell you where your main board is located.  Usually on the rear of the fridge is a small access panel above the compressor that contains the main circuit board.  Look the board aver real well for burnt looking places.  Replace board if you find any for around $120.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There is another fan, behind a panel in the freezer compartment that blows the cold air into the refer compartment. If this fan stopped, the freezer stays fine, but the fridge warms up.

This. I had same problem. Fix it yourself. Easy. less than 50$.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the good suggestions folks! I'll take the panel off the back in the morning and have look see. We have another frig in the garage to use as backup if it looks like something I can fix the main one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Might want to also check the defrost circuit and heater.  Had a GE go out and it was a simple fix.  Same thing, fridge wouldn't cool and then the freezer melted.  Inside panel behind the icemaker was frozen solid.  $45 fix.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Might want to also check the defrost circuit and heater.  Had a GE go out and it was a simple fix.  Same thing, fridge wouldn't cool and then the freezer melted.  Inside panel behind the icemaker was frozen solid.  $45 fix.

I'm having the same problem right now with my GE. So exactly how do I check the defrost circuit and heater?

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm having the same problem right now with my GE. So exactly how do I check the defrost circuit and heater?

99% of the time its the heater on GE's. You can Ohm it out but you can usually tell its bad by looking at it. If the glass is clear then its usually good, If its black and you can barley see into the glass its almost always bad. The heater is in the freezer compartment behind the rear panel under the evap.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

99% of the time its the heater on GE's. You can Ohm it out but you can usually tell its bad by looking at it. If the glass is clear then its usually good, If its black and you can barley see into the glass its almost always bad. The heater is in the freezer compartment behind the rear panel under the evap.

"I can Ohm it?" Believe me, I can't Ohm squat.

Okay, I guess tomorrow morning, I check the heater in the freezer compartment. Uh, what's the "evap?"

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I can Ohm it?" Believe me, I can't Ohm squat.

Okay, I guess tomorrow morning, I check the heater in the freezer compartment. Uh, what's the "evap?"

Remove the back panel Inside the freezer compartment. Then you will see an aluminum coil looks kind of like a radiator, thats the evap. Under it is the heater it actually attaches to the evap with 2 philip screws. Remove the screws and pull it out so you can look at it. there will be 2 wires hooked to it, but you should be able to pull it out far enough to see the glass cylinder which houses the heater. Some models have 2 heaters and if 1 is bad you have to replace both.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top