Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2002 9:05:22 PM EDT
Yesterday (Mar/21/02) the police found a large amount of weapons on the premises of a 45 year old man from Noorwijkerhout (the Netherlands) including a 45 ton ready-to-use Centurion tank, a rocketlauncher, silenced automatic weapons, a scud, a MiG fighter and a rocket launch system for aircraft. They also found a large amount of ammo. The Dutch Army has no idea how the owner got the tank, Dutch tanks are usually demolished when they get scrapped and never sold to private parties.
[img]http://krant.telegraaf.nl/krant/vandaag/fotos/bin.venster.bincenturion.jpg[/img]

[url]http://krant.telegraaf.nl/krant/archief/20020322/teksten/bin.wapens.tank.leger.katwijker.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Now that's what I call an RV!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the only link I could find.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]
uuhhhh,
helmut, hav yew seen da tank tooday?
no, i tawt it wus hekke's turn to have it at his house.
what the hell?
now i have to register my tank?   jeez, what next, they'll make me give my apache gunship back?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
That's one heck of a "collection".  Wonder how he got it in the garrage with out the neighbors seeing it all!?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting but, thats SHTF?

I guess it is for the owner of the tank(in possession)
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://krant.telegraaf.nl/krant/archief/20020322/fotos/bin.venster.binraketwerper.jpg[/img]

Ok the title of my thread was misleading, it should have been more like: Military collector gets overzealous!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]
hey is that wolf ammo in the background?
see, they have crap ammo all over the world!
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's the punchline.....police thought they found an arsenal..

The tank's weapons were deactiviated, neither the cannon neither the coax worked.

The AT weapon seen in the picture was an empty tube. The smallarms were either procured legally trough a license or deco's(deactivated weapons).

Great catch they thought, all over the news, but he gets it all back. Hopefully with a letter of apology for dragging his name all over the news. And the worst trigger control seen for a long while, every small arm they handled(and thinking it was real) they had the finger on the trigger.

The MiG, you can legally buy a MiG. Deactivated and obtain a license from the mayor of your town to put one in your yard/barn for decorative purposes.

Kuiper

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#12]
That´s something I would call serious collector... :-D Iwould like to have my own Merkava MkIII or Leopard II, too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#13]
If I had a Centurian, I'd go duck hunting.

Hell, I might even try my hand at bighorn sheep.

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:29:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:32:23 AM EDT
[#15]
There used to be a guy right here in my home town thet collected Military air craft.

He had a FW 190, ME 109, Most of a Stuka, a P 51 mustang, a Wildcat, and a Corsair.

Last I heard he was trying to build a Phantom II
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There used to be a guy right here in my home town thet collected Military air craft.

He had a FW 190, ME 109, Most of a Stuka, a P 51 mustang, a Wildcat, and a Corsair.

View Quote

We got a guy in Fort Worth trying to build new ME-262's.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here's the punchline.....police thought they found an arsenal..

The tank's weapons were deactiviated, neither the cannon neither the coax worked.

The AT weapon seen in the picture was an empty tube. The smallarms were either procured legally trough a license or deco's(deactivated weapons).

Great catch they thought, all over the news, but he gets it all back. Hopefully with a letter of apology for dragging his name all over the news. And the worst trigger control seen for a long while, every small arm they handled(and thinking it was real) they had the finger on the trigger.

The MiG, you can legally buy a MiG. Deactivated and obtain a license from the mayor of your town to put one in your yard/barn for decorative purposes.

Kuiper

View Quote

Dammit!  I thought we had ourselves an authentic SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Great catch they thought, all over the news, but he gets it all back. Hopefully with a letter of apology for dragging his name all over the news.
View Quote

Geez Kuiper your government is staffed by a bunch of wusses!  Respect for the "suspect?"  An apology?  Did they flunk stormtrooper school or something?  Here in the U.S. a guy like that would probably *never* get his stuff back no matter how innocent he is, let alone a letter of apology.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great catch they thought, all over the news, but he gets it all back. Hopefully with a letter of apology for dragging his name all over the news.
View Quote

Geez Kuiper your government is staffed by a bunch of wusses!  Respect for the "suspect?"  An apology?  Did they flunk stormtrooper school or something?  Here in the U.S. a guy like that would probably *never* get his stuff back no matter how innocent he is, let alone a letter of apology.
View Quote

Very true.  God Bless America.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a group building ME-262's in the NE US.

They just had the engine test a few days ago.

2 million a pop for an unfinished plane, cost will go up when the plane is done.

They are only building 5, and then destroying all of the plans and equipment.

So far 2 have been sold.

Av.

Edit for link: [url]http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a group building ME-262's in the NE US.

They just had the engine test a few days ago.

2 million a pop for an unfinished plane, cost will go up when the plane is done.

They are only building 5, and then destroying all of the plans and equipment.

So far 2 have been sold.

Av.

Edit for link: [url]http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html[/url]
View Quote

[img]http://www.stormbirds.com/project/images/rollout_21s.jpg[/img]

That's the same project.  Moved to Everett, WA.  That's what happens when you quit reading Aerospace Leak.  I see thay've configured the fuselage an a two-seat ME-262B.  The FAA was holding out for a larger vertical stab but if it's been added they did a good job as it looks original.  Hope to see one of those fly someday.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#23]
This is sooo funny that someone found this.
A buddy of mine who visits Russia regularly, was telling me on how Russia is almost %100 Mafia based and how anything in the country can be had for a price.

He heard a story of a fellow who had almost bought an old russian Nucular sub for 15 million, 25 million fully armed.

I'm telling you, this world is corrupt!
Most of the money in the world is DIRTY money!!
Even in america.

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Destroying the plans makes no sense especially if there are only 5 people in the US that can afford it.

FearandLoathing wrote:

View Quote

Who is this ??
Ben

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#25]
the Air Force museum in ohio has a Mig that a guy bought in some soviet country and tried to bring into the US. The reason he got it taken away was because he didn't get the right import paperwork before hitting US soil. From what I remember reading at the museum it would have been fine if he had gotten the paperwork first
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Destroying the plans makes no sense especially if there are only 5 people in the US that can afford it.
View Quote

Damn right! I think they could have a huge seller on their hands.

Anyway here is a quote from the FAQ on the website.

Q16:  Why produce only five aircraft, especially since all of the special tooling will still be available after the project?

A16:  We hear this question quite often.  Once the current program is completed, no additional Me 262s will be produced, irrespective of the available jigs, templates and special tools available.   There are a number of reasons for this.

1.  Put simply, the completion of these five will meet our stated objectives (this is also all that our funding profile was designed to accommodate).

2.  This decision protects the investment of the individual aircraft buyers by insuring their rarity.

3.  Once the Navy aircraft is fully restored, no "pattern" aircraft will be available.

It is unlikely that anyone will ever duplicate what we have done/are doing here. They (like us) would have to face some considerable challenges with respect to proprietary engineering requirements, and they would also need to obtain an original template aircraft.  

There is only one un-restored example left in the entire world (Australia), and it is very unlikely that this plane would be ever released for such a project.  

There have been some fairly recent (November 2000) developments with the sale of the Planes of Fame's Me 262; however, no reproduction plans have been announced, nor are any expected.
View Quote

Av.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Seems odd to me that they would go to all that expense only to make five jets.  Why not make 25?  They would still be incredibly rare!  

The Nazis produced hundreds of ME-262s and then put inexperienced pilots in them who flew them straight into the ground.  I don't know why I said that except to emphasize what a difficult plane they were to fly.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Russian jets can be had for the asking, if the price is right. A guy in my town, who inherited a large & profitable chain of retail stores, bought a Mig 21 from the Hungarian air force. He is a bigtime aviation nut, and hired Victor Belenko to come to town & show him how to fly it. Some people have more money than time to spend it, apparently.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#29]
"They found a large amount of ammo". If thats it on the table and think that a large amount of ammo thay should take a look at my.....uhhhh never mind! Just kidding man, that dude has a rediculously large pile there...[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Totally cool [-=(_)=-]me want three of each!
W
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top