Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2002 8:22:06 PM EDT
Phoenix, The Arizona Republic.
Washington. The Bush administration proposed Thursday to drop a requirement at the heart of federal rules protecting medical records.
The administration said that doctors and hospitals should not have to obtain consent from patients before using or disclosing medical information for the purpose of treatment or reimbursement.
 Tommy Thompson, the secretary of Health and Human Services, said he wants to "remove the consent requirements" because he believes they could delay the delivery of medical care.
 Hospitals, for example, said they cannot schedule medical procedures until a consent form is signed.
 The privacy rules were issued by President Clinton in December 2000. When Bush allowed the rules to take effect last April, consumer advocates cheered, whileinsurers expressed dismay.
 The proposal, which does not require congressional approval, is to be published in The Federal Register next week. The administration will then consider public comments for 30 days and issue a final rule with the force of law.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
And this should worry you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
And it does. The freedom or death voice in me despises the ease with which the majority of the folks out there will accept this without even a second thought.

In truth, though, all of these little victories by the side that opposes life no longer worry me. Let 'em win all the little shit. I still won't like each individual freedom squashing thing these folks do, but the truth is that the side of Freedom\Life\Spirit\God has already won this battle, so to that extent this stuff doesn't matter.

Maybe that's just me, though.

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]

The article seems to imply that the proposal will allow insurance companies to place policy holders under close scrutiny without their consent in an attempt to find more ways to deny coverage and reimbursement.
Is that what you are worried about?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
This article seems to also imply that health plans will be allowed to investigate fraud without you throwing up roadblocks by refusing to let the providers release your records.

So you won't be allowed to keep the health plan from proving that when you signed up, saying that you were perfectly healthy, you actually lied, having been diagnosed just beforehand with a life-threatening illness.

That could be a problem for some people, fortunately they're in the minority.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#5]
If proposed by a democrat: intrusive and tyrannical.

If proposed by a republican: "reasonable" and "common sense".

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:06:29 AM EDT
[#6]
The problem isn't with doctors disclosing information with others worried about your health.

The problem is with those who would disclose your health info with those who want to save a buck by making sure they don't have to pay for your ailment.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:09:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I hate the way it's done now.. but "written consent" for any disclosure is out of line.  It should be (in my opinion),... open disclosure to all in the medical profession (who swore the oath)... and no disclosure without written or copied oral  acceptance for everyone else.

Any problems with that?
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know the full implications of this change in policy, but I do know I am against anything that impowers HMOs to micro-manage the medical care I need to receive. I assume there is already full disclosure between health care providers and insurance companies, so I really don't know how this new policy changes things.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 3:39:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys, don't believe the crap the media puts out.
A good part of my law practice is health care law. The regs Clinton made up were pure punishment for the medical community for not letting Hillary be supreme ruler of all medicine for life in America, and nothing else.
The regs were written totally by Clinton appointees and railroaded through. They were written with pre-conditions on the medical and billing use of every bit of information at all.
The Hospital couldn't get you advil from their own pharmacy or the ER couldn't send you to a bed without getting your permission in writing to disclose that data (most pharms and ERs are now staffed by contract corps)
And there were tons of inter entity agreements, too. Just lots of crazy paperwork. And anyone in health care, even the family doc, was in the sights.
Why? Cause a single violation of these insane regs meant that the certification of the provider that they were in compliance with all regs was not true.
That means massive massive civil (fines), criminal penalties, exclusion from medicare (which in real life means 5 years no practicing medicine at all).
Bush wants to change some of the crazier provisions.
The media still wants to suck Bill and Hill off. Result? Headline: "Evil Bush wants to kill your childern and release their medical information freely"
That's total bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey, [b]grimshaw[/b], if you're so paranoid about HMO's getting to your medical records here's a simple solution...

Be the "independant" man you really claim to be. [b]Insure yourself.[/b]

Don't sign up for any HMO/PPO/Insurance racket and you won't have to worry about their intrusiveness.

[b]Pay your own damn bills![/b]

What? You can't afford to pay your own medical bills?

You want BCBS/Cigna to pay your bills?

Then sit down, shut up, fill out the form, and do as they say!

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll talk to my wife about this, she works on this stuff.

Health Insurance Accountability and Portability Act of 1996 (HIIPA)is the 800lb gorilla of health care privacy and security.  It's a series of regulations that is going to cost the health care industry $11 billion to implement, and supposedly save $29.

It's being implemented right and covers protection of private, personal information.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey, [b]grimshaw[/b], if you're so paranoid about HMO's getting to your medical records here's a simple solution...

Be the "independant" man you really claim to be. [b]Insure yourself.[/b]

Don't sign up for any HMO/PPO/Insurance racket and you won't have to worry about their intrusiveness.
Frankly, Macallan I don't need your advice. I don't have any health insurance now, but thats none of your business. The post refers to hospital records, not insurance. Doctor confidential stuff that could be used in whatever way the government chooses. Its a loss of freedom.
 I think if I actually met you, you would not be quite as terrifying as your tone in your posts. I'm sure it would be my privilege to tell you to sit down and shut up. I'm sure you need to act big on the Internet because you are really a very small man with a bossy wife.
[b]Pay your own damn bills![/b]

What? You can't afford to pay your own medical bills?

You want BCBS/Cigna to pay your bills?

Then sit down, shut up, fill out the form, and do as they say!

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#14]

This isnt just about getting health coverage.  An employers insurance company could say to them "hey, we'll give you better insurance rates if you gives us potential applicants names so we check their medical records and make sure they are acceptable."  So if you have a predisposed medical problem you get hosed from getting a job.
Also many states have inacted minors having  rights to have medical records kept private, signed by a democratic president.  Now a republican president wants to take away states rights. Does Bush know what party he is in or does he just want to bed big business?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now a republican president wants to take away states rights. Does Bush know what party he is in or does he just want to bed big business?
View Quote

Criticizing our savior is grounds for being reported a probable domestic terrorist to the Office of Homeland Defense. Let's roll.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top