Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2010 3:18:39 PM EDT
Finnish Axe and Implement producer, excellent stuff!

Anyway Gerber, you know who Gerber is right? And no, not the baby food, the knife maker, anyway, they have been importing Chinese copies of the excellent Finnish made Fiskar axes, saws, and brush hooks.
Compared to the Finnish made product, the quality is pure shit, poor fitting, doesn't come close to the standards of axe head and handle retention, god only knows what the steel is comprised of,,,,

The kicker????
The Chinese made junk, you know, the stuff made to be competetive in a competetive market,,,It is ACTUALLY priced higher on the retail market than the genuine, high quality, made in Finland Fiskars!!!!!!!

Now how can you figure that!!??
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My Gerber multitool has a Fiskar scissors built into it. Is that a fugazi as well?
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Fiskars owns Gerber.

If they are having the Chi-Com's make copies of their own stuff and marketing it uner the Gerber name it is because few people here know Fiskars from Adam.

All the profits still go to the Finn's.

Most of the Chinese Gerber Knives are made with 7Cr17 Stainless Steel.

Other names of 7Cr17 Stainless Steel:
X65CrMo14, 440A, S44002, SUS440A, 12C27, 1.4034, 12C27M, Z70CD14, 1.4109, AUS60, and XT-70
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]

I have a Fiskars axe. Best damn axe i ever bought.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]

How about a fiskar?

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a pair of Fiskars shears/heavy scissors that will cut 3 layers of denim or other heavy cloth like the proverbial knife through butter

I have a Fiskars brush axe/hatchet that everybody tries to trade me out of when camping

yes, i know who they are
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a pair of Fiskars shears/heavy scissors that will cut 3 layers of denim or other heavy cloth like the proverbial knife through butter

I have a Fiskars brush axe/hatchet that everybody tries to trade me out of when camping

yes, i know who they are

But are you Joe Sixpack Consumer?
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Fiskar? I barely know her!
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a small Fiskars axe and Fiskars game shears.

They are really nice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes, i know who they are

But are you Joe Sixpack Consumer?

probably not

I was unaware of the cheap chinese thing

probably cause I stopped getting the Cheaper than Dirt catalogue

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two pair of their loppers, I can't break them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
At this point, Gerber is now all Chi-com shit from what I've seen hanging on store shelves. I have a few older blades that say Made in Oregon, and at least one made in Taiwan, but, I think most of their stuff is now commie made.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a pair of Fiskars hand pruners.   They are the bomb!  They cut through 3/4 inch branches like butter and thats after 5 years of hard use.  

Best in class no doubt.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fiskars owns Gerber.

I think they bought them some time in the 1990's. Gerber used to make top notch stuff in the USA. Fiskars bought them and shipped it all to China. Pretty much turned to junk. Now, the Chinese stuff seems OK. They are now also making top end stuff in USA again like the 06 Tanto G-10.

Here's some of the original USA products I've had for about 20 years.

along with some of the newer Chinese easy openers.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a fiskars axe and scissors/shears, they are effin great
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fiskars owns Gerber.

I think they bought them some time in the 1990's. Gerber used to make top notch stuff in the USA. Fiskars bought them and shipped it all to China. Pretty much turned to junk. Now, the Chinese stuff seems OK. They are now also making top end stuff in USA again like the 06 Tanto G-10.

Here's some of the original USA products I've had for about 20 years.

http://www.pbase.com/android/image/123840179/large.jpg

along with some of the newer Chinese easy openers.

http://www.pbase.com/android/image/123840180.jpg

Gerber still makes stuff in the USA.

The last two Gerber knives I've purchased are US made.

I don't know about my multi tool, didn't bother to check... I also have Fiskars scissors of all sorts, they're good stuff.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been a fan of Fiskars stuff for years.  Does anyone else prize their Fiskars scissors as much as they would a pocket or other outdoor knife?  I do. I have a pretty good collection of Fiskars stuff including scissors.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been a fan of Fiskars stuff for years.  Does anyone else prize their Fiskars scissors as much as they would a pocket or other outdoor knife?  I do. I have a pretty good collection of Fiskars stuff including scissors.

heck yeah

my scissors are every bit as prized as any of my med-hi end knives
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Gerber LMF II is still made in the USA
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I once had a gerber knife that you could sharpen on your jeans, and it would get dull by putting it on your pocket.
Best knife I had... Where did it go?
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Felco is better than Fiskars
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top