Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2010 6:32:27 AM EDT
My Yahamha DVD player died over the weekend so I went out and bought a Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray player for my 5 year old HD Mitsubishi rear projection CRT TV. The TV has HDMI & component video connections. My question is, will I notice much of a difference over HDMI over Component since the TV is only 1080i. I would have to go buy a 9 ft HDMI cable and I dont want waste money for nothing.

Thanks,
 Brian
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:33:31 AM EDT
[#1]
HDMI is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably not. But HDMI allows video and audio over a single cable.  Therefore eliminating wires.  I've gone all HDMI.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy a cheap HDMI cable from monoprice.com.  If anything, it's more convenient because you get audio and video over the same cable.

Edit:  beaten by 20 gorram seconds
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure that you buy a  player that can handle both, then use the cables that you already have.

I love HDMI for letting me get rid of my rat's nest of cables.

ETA: I got a 9 foot HDMI cable for $2.00 from Amazon when I bought my blu-ray player. Get a blu-ray, even if you only have DVDs.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:35:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Buy a cheap HDMI cable from monoprice.com.  If anything, it's more convenient because you get audio and video over the same cable.

and by someone from the same state.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Probably not. But HDMI allows video and audio over a single cable.  Therefore eliminating wires.  I've gone all HDMI.

ebay and monoprice have cheap hdmi cables

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
HDMI is the way to go.

+1
+monoprice.com
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. Quality-wise, unless you're better than 20/20 you'll never tell.

HDMI is more streamlined, 1 cable vs. 5.

Whatever you do, order your cable online for next to nothing, and avoid the marketing of Monster at all costs.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go away, Cindy Crosby lover!  

ETA:  <––- used to live in Pittsburgh in the early 1990s.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go away, Cindy Crosby lover!  

Your words wound me deep.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Component will be fine for 1080i.Some crts actually look better on component.
You can still buy a HDMI 10' cable for about 8-10 bucks delivered from monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com if you want.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Your words wound me deep.  

Not like the Flyers are gonna make it out of the next round anyway.  

Hijack over.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 on monoprice. I love their cables. A note if you have a wallmount buy the smaller gauge cables as they flex more. My big ones are bent pretty tight which isnt good for them/the TV ports
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#15]
6Ft HDMI Cables are 99 cents plus $1.90 shipping on Ebay. Probably from the same factory in China that is making all the worlds HDMI cables.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Will Blu-ray players transfer a true HD source (1080i) through component? or does it "upcovert" the 480p signal to 1080i?

Thanks
   Bri
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Will Blu-ray players transfer a true HD source (1080i) through component? or does it "upcovert" the 480p signal to 1080i?

Thanks

Bri

Depends on the source material.  If you are talking about a DVD (disc), then its 480p upconverted to 1080i.  If you talk about Blu-ray (disc), it's 1080.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks
   Bri

That's 2 different questions.

I believe some Blu Ray players will go 1080i (Interlaced) through component.

It all depends on your system as to whether it will upconvert the 480 signal... For example, both my PS3 and my HDTV will upconvert signals to 1080. It looks like crap, because more-than-doubling any signal looks awful for the most part.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Bri

It all depends on your system as to whether it will upconvert the 480 signal... For example, both my PS3 and my HDTV will upconvert signals to 1080. It looks like crap, because more-than-doubling any signal looks awful for the most part.

If you can do HDMI, do it. Most Blu Ray players will up convert content to 1080 through HDMI.

I don't know what set up you have. But my PS3 upconversion looks great on my 1080P 106" screen. It's not Blu Ray, but it looks alot better than any other upconversion I have seen.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#21]
HDMI will look better. Not on everything, but on very detailed HD, the HDMI is more accurate, pixel by pixel.

The DVD's will not be upconverted to 1080P or 1080i on Component video. That feature only works on HDMI.

Walmart has fairly cheap HDMI cables.

Remember, the resolution of 1080 p + i are exactly the same. So, don't be thinking your TV is "only" 1080i. The quality of motion pics is better with p, progressive, However, most movies are only 24 frames per second anyway. So, use HDMI and get all the resolution possible, every time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Well having all pre HDMI components, I have no need for HDMI.  However, it is getting harder and harder to find component or even simple phillips stuff
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My Yahamha DVD player died over the weekend so I went out and bought a Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray player for my 5 year old HD Mitsubishi rear projection CRT TV. The TV has HDMI & component video connections. My question is, will I notice much of a difference over HDMI over Component since the TV is only 1080i. I would have to go buy a 9 ft HDMI cable and I dont want waste money for nothing.

Thanks,
 Brian

HDMI all day long...Check out Monoprice for cables, don't get suckered into the retail store prices.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

get the $1,000 HDMI cable

I'm with Phil here, would you put a cheap Chinese scope on your sniper rifle or a "killer" Leupold, Swarovski, etc.?    What's it worth to hear those crystal clear highs (even teens cannot hear on cheap cables) and transients?   Your choice.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They had HDMI on rear projection TVs 5 years ago? You sure that's not a DVI input?

[ETA] on a rear-projection TV, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between HDMI and component...

I'm 100% sure that the TV has an HDMI.... only 1 though.

The one thing I have a problem with is HDMI is digital connection, and my TV analog, wouldn't it be best to have a analog connection on a analog TV?

Bri
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Bri

If you can do HDMI, do it. Most Blu Ray players will up convert content to 1080 through HDMI.

I don't know what set up you have. But my PS3 upconversion looks great on my 1080P 106" screen. It's not Blu Ray, but it looks alot better than any other upconversion I have seen.

For some reason I was thinking the OP was talking about a 480 TV signal. Oops.

My PS3 does a great job of upconverting standard DVDs...
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They had HDMI on rear projection TVs 5 years ago? You sure that's not a DVI input?

[ETA] on a rear-projection TV, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between HDMI and component...

Mine's around 6 years old and has DVI, but no HDMI.

I assume HDMI started some time soon afterward.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Well having all pre HDMI components, I have no need for HDMI.  However, it is getting harder and harder to find component or even simple phillips stuff

Yup. I finally gave up and went HDMI last year

Component is perfectly fine for HD... HDMI is really being rammed down our throats.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can get a HDMI to DVI converter for just a few dollars. However, you will not be able to trasmit digital sound through DVI. So, you will need a seperate audio feed (SPDIF, etc).

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get a HDMI to DVI converter for just a few dollars. However, you will not be able to trasmit digital sound through DVI. So, you will need a seperate audio feed (SPDIF, etc).

Exactly how my HTPC and HDDVD are connected to the TV (The HDDVD rarely gets connected anymore as the HTPC does most of my entertainment anymore)

Works well and my receiver doesn't support HDMI anyway, so TOSlink take care of my audio.

Now, as soon as my order from monoprice gets here, the HDDVD will be going on my bedroom TV, in 720p glory! (on HDMI)

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Bri

My PS3 on my 55'' Samsung looks amazing with newer DVDs. The upconversion doesnt dilute or blend too much
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top