Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2010 3:03:25 PM EDT
I just bought myself a new Porter Cable 4 piece rechargeable tool kit.  Drill, circular saw, sawzall, and anemic, wimpy, next to worthless 18v flashlight.  It seems like every tool kit comes with one of these things.  They were obsolete even before they were first conceived.  So my question:  With Arfcoms help, can I yank the guts out of this thing, install a Cree "burn your face off" LED, and turn it into something useful that runs from my common 18v battery pack?

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
An 18 volt Cree led set up...I have no idea, but I bet it would be bright!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
in before the fire
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Go search on CPF....Im sure some one has done that...Or slipped a HID bulb in there
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm no electrician but I'm thinking a resistor or set of resistors to drop the voltage down to 9 volts or something of the like, and just having some ridiculous run time from that big ole battery pack.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
find the part number for the bulb, and see if there's an LED replacement for it...
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
find the part number for the bulb, and see if there's an LED replacement for it...

I'm thinking that would be about 6 candle power as well, but whitish blue instead of concentrated urine yellow.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinking that would be about 6 candle power as well, but whitish blue instead of concentrated urine yellow.

If it uses the standard mini mag type bulb there are several options. I am not sure how many volts a NIte eze or 4D maglight LED will run with. Ask this at CPF and they will be able to help you.

With the right voltage it would put out over 100 lumens.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top