Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2010 12:53:10 PM EDT
I know a guy who works as a first responder and is prior military and he wrote both his blood type and DNR on his body armor.  He said he doesn't want to be "brought back" if he is ever that far gone.

For those of you unfamiliar, DNR means "Do not resuscitate" meaning to "allow natural death".  Read more here.

My question is, doesn't having both a blood type and DNR seem to be a contradiction?  If you're hurt so severely as to require a blood transfusion, would that not be considered resuscitation?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know a guy who works as a first responder and is prior military and he wrote both his blood type and DNR on his body armor.  He said he doesn't want to be "brought back" if he is ever that far gone.

For those of you unfamiliar, DNR means "Do not resuscitate" meaning to "allow natural death".  Read more here.

My question is, doesn't have both a blood type and DNR seem to be a contradiction?  If you're hurt so severely as to require a blood transfusion, would that not be considered resuscitation?

You can write shit all day long on your BA, but unless you have a living will citing DNR then its no good...Sounds like your friend is just trying to sound like a badass.

Also, medical personnel in the .Mil will not pay any attention to your write on blood type, they generally dont even read your ID tags..You will get typed before you get any blood.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My question is, doesn't have both a blood type and DNR seem to be a contradiction?  If you're hurt so severely as to require a blood transfusion, would that not be considered resuscitation?

You can write shit all day long on your BA, but unless you have a living will citing DNR then its no good...Sounds like your friend is just trying to sound like a badass.

Imma go with this, because if someone didn't resuscitate said individual, said individuals family be screaming for money.

So unless you got your living will stating DNR, they gonna bring ya back yo
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Talk to some of the medical people around here.  It doesn't mean shit what blood type you have on your gear or body.  You will get type O Negative until they test you.  The DNR part is just dumb.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My question is, doesn't having both a blood type and DNR seem to be a contradiction?  If you're hurt so severely as to require a blood transfusion, would that not be considered resuscitation?

No, a DNR just means that you don't want to be brought back if you're royally screwed up and beyond the means of a doctor to give you life. You get blood transfusions when you get minor surgeries sometimes. Wanna be let die in that instance?

Me, I say bring my ass back unless I'm obviously braindead. I know that God and I are going to have words when I get there, and not all of them are going to be good ones. The more good I do now till I get greased, the better chance I may be able to bribe my way through the gates with and that, friend, is going to take time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, a DNR just means that you don't want to be brought back if you're royally screwed up and beyond the means of a doctor to give you life. You get blood transfusions when you get minor surgeries sometimes. Wanna be let die in that instance?

Me, I say bring my ass back unless I'm obviously braindead. I know that God and I are going to have words when I get there, and not all of them are going to be good ones. The more good I do now till I get greased, the better chance I may be able to bribe my way through the gates with and that, friend, is going to take time.

DNR requests can be interpreted to disallow even basic life-saving measures like CPR or defibrillation.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DNR requests can be interpreted to disallow even basic life-saving measures like CPR or defibrillation.

Very true, But you have to have a bit more documentation other than it written with a sharpie on your IBA/ IOTV
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
On my last deployment I ran across a bunch of Staff Officers who had DNR on their HQ access badges.  I thought it was humorous.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have my blood type on duct tape on my body armor, nothing about DNR though as my wife has that athority and I highly doubt that in todays litigious society that we live in that any hospital would abide by "DNR" on armor. They are not every going to think about it until they have the official paperwork in hand.

As for blood type,my mom who was a nurse for 35years said they even that is a waste of ink and tape as they are going to rapid type you and if in doubt or lack of time go with type O anyways. I do it because in some stupid way it makes me feel better. I figure if I am f'd up enough to need blood quickly, i'm likley beyond repair. Keep me alive so my kids and wife can say goodbye and then let me go (thats my wishes that I have told my wife.)

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top