Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2010 12:20:30 PM EDT
Looks like my PC has taken a hit.  My hotmail had tons of outgoing messages in the sent folder during the night (weird).

I got a game CD from an order I received from overstock.com.  The CD was flimsy so I popped it in my CD to check the contents and it immediately was flagged by my AV (Microsoft Security Essentials) so I removed it.

Now my PC stops for about 5-10 min at the BIOS screen, everytime I open Firefox the homepage is changed to search.conduit.com or something - it comes back after being reset in FF control panel.
Also, my Zune is now missing 500 songs from my collection that were there last night (same hotmail login)

Never seen anything like this.

What other AV should I run, is there a decent free one out there?

How do you check for a rootkit and remove it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I use AVG, Hijack this.  There is a couple more that I use to remove adware but Cant remember what its called.  all free.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#2]
AVG. Great tool and free.

Malwarebytes for all the other stuff. It is the shiznit!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Avast is as good as freeware anti-virus gets.  Running multiple AV products will hurt performance and most likely they will not play nicely together.  That said, a rootkit isn't a virus anyway, and many AV programs won't detect them.

I use:

Avast
Hijack This
Spybot Search & Destroy
"Noscript" firefox plugin.

And, most importantly, a very healthy does of paranoia.  I don't steal software, music, movies, etc.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Malwarebytes works pretty darn well for a free one and I run that periodically.  Trend Micro is my favorite for a paid AV, but as was mentioned, they don't always detect rootkits (not that you necessarily have one).

You might also try a system restore to a date prior to the CD insertion.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AVG. Great tool and free.

Not so much....

MSSE is working waaaaaaay better for me than AVG did.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

If you THINK you are root kitted.. Format your HD and start over.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top