Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2002 12:48:37 PM EDT
On my way to get lunch today, I heard a woman caller on Dr. Laura's show.  Appearantly this woman has just moved to a rural area, and her neighbor was shooting his rifle out on his back yard.  She gave the usual cry and hue "I know how dangerous these rifles can be.  They can go through houses and hurt my children!"  By all appearances the shooter was safe and no shot was near her house.  Dr. Laura calmly asked her if this is legal in her area.  The caller continue her emoting about how dangerous this is.  The good doctor simply told her if this is legal, and she doesn't like it, move, and if not legal, file charges.  Simple as that.

Rather than thinking that this woman is yet another suburban soccer mom moving to rural area and trying to upset everybody's apple cart with her hang-ups, I thought this woman is what Rush Limbaugh calls "seminar caller", some antis calling up talk shows pretending to have problems to advance their agendas, getting listeners to believe guns are all so dangerous!

It's for the children, don't you know?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#1]
While living in West Virginia I counselled a hysterical woman who showed up in my office with a frantic plea.  "I can't believe it!" she exclaimed over and over.  When I suggested that she sit down and explain to me the cause of her distress she forced a copy of the local paper directly at me.  She forced "The school has a RIFLE raffle!" from between her clenched teeth as she waved the paper in my face.

I took the paper from her and read that the high school wrestling team was advertising their annual pre-deer season Marlin lever action raffle fund raiser.

She was a transplant from DC who moved to the hills of West Virginia to get closer to nature.  I explained to her that deer hunting is a part of the local culture.  I explained that the wrestling team always has a rifle raffle fund raiser.  I explained the she was the one that was being irrational.  From that point on she despised me because I was "closed-minded."  Ironic huh?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I always wonder if these "transplants" got their ideas of nature from LL Beans catalog and SUV commercials, where sun shines all the damn times and deers and other wild animals exist as lawn ornaments that will never chew up your oh-so Martha Stewart flower bed and vegetable garden.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They usually come into the area and build a big house on a plot of ground that they bought from a local.  Then as soon as the paint is dry and the grass is planted they form a citizen's action group to prevent the same local and his old timer neighbors from selling their land to developers.

NIMBY's!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW, didn't Dr. Laura go through a change of heart when it came to the RKBA?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
A year or so ago, some yuppie types moved to the rural front range in Colorado. Built nice homes on a few acres, then complained about the noise that the cows and horses made. They wanted a law to make the ranchers keep their livestock quiet. Hummmmm.....Animal noise in the country. Imagine that.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
i heard that call on dr. laura.
the lady was ticked off that her neighbor shot a coyote in the creek area that seperated their back yards. the lady and her children had just been in the back playing. she was freaked out the lady shot a rifle towards her house
walter
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Years ago in my HS teens.... my Father's sister was visting with her son (Mark) from Kali. The son was close to the same age as me and we were hanging out in my bedroom playing with stereo stuff. The kid was amazed to find lockback knifes on my shelf and all the neat "restricted weapons" in my bedroom.
"Your Dad lets you have all this stuff?" Mark asked in amazement.
Right when I was letting him handle a folder (he was fumbling to unlock the blade), his Mom walks in......
eyes Mark with a knife
eyes my gun rack with 10/22, pellet gun, and 12ga
looks at me.........AND FREAKS OUT!

She grabs Mark and starts to drag him out of my room. Mark hands me the still unfolded knife. His Mom lets out a "ohhhhhhhhhhh!".

I'm still in my room and my Father is calling me downstairs to repremend me. I think my father had originally thought that I had punched Mark or that I did sumthing wrong. I come downstairs while dad gets a earful from his Sis and all the "guns, knifes, and skulls" (Guns 'n Roses poster!) in my room (like it was contra-band from my parents).

Dad just stands there confused. My mom (more of the elequent speaker, moderator in the family) steps in and explains to her sis-in-law that things are different outside of kali.

......thats my soccor mom story.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder how they would have handled living on the edge of my Midwestern town next to me when I cooked off a few 50 round bursts from my HK21 in the backyard?

My neighbors at the time were pretty used to it. A few used to bring their little kids out onto their back porch so they could watch.

"Look Daddy, he's got army guns..."
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been wondering when that crap will start around here. We have had knotheads from the city move out here to get away from it all and the first big snow storm that hits, they wonder why the road isnt plowed before 7 in the morning. Or why the snow plow wont come in and do their driveway.
They usually get told to buy a 4x4  and a tractor and a loader!

Lee

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Dad just stands there confused. My mom (more of the elequent speaker, moderator in the family) steps in and explains to her sis-in-law that things are different outside of kali.

View Quote

Hate to tell you this and ruin your impression, but in the majority of California guns, and gun fire is very normal. Hell, you can still see people driving around with rifles in the back window of their trucks in the rural areas and no one, including LEO, give it a second thought. It's pretty much in only three metro areas that unfortunately hold a majority of the people that anti gun beliefs thrive. I, and several of my neighbors, shoot on the land our homes are on and no one ever shows up to hassle us or complain. Ok, once last year a newbie from the flatlands called the sheriff when my son and I were practicing for a IDPA match. But the deputy who came said he was making a "token" visit to make sure we weren't boozing while doing it. [b]Encouraged[/b] us to practice whenever we wanted and said he would deal with the caller. Haven't heard a peep since.

I love living in the country. Even in Cali [:)]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hate to tell you this and ruin your impression, but in the majority of California guns, and gun fire is very normal. Hell, you can still see people driving around with rifles in the back window of their trucks in the rural areas and no one, including LEO, give it a second thought. It's pretty much in only three metro areas that unfortunately hold a majority of the people that anti gun beliefs thrive. I, and several of my neighbors, shoot on the land our homes are on and no one ever shows up to hassle us or complain. Ok, once last year a newbie from the flatlands called the sheriff when my son and I were practicing for a IDPA match. But the deputy who came said he was making a "token" visit to make sure we weren't boozing while doing it. [b]Encouraged[/b] us to practice whenever we wanted and said he would deal with the caller. Haven't heard a peep since.

I love living in the country. Even in Cali [:)]
View Quote

I understand. The family I talk of lived in Valencia.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#13]
A developer [b]wants[/b] to build a house in the woods.

An environmentalist [b]already owns[/b] a house in the woods.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#14]
 My local gun club / Range has been in its current location for like 80 years .
about 15-20 years ago a developer bought some adjoining land to the north and put up a housing development . Now we have to organize fund raisers just to pay the legal bills from the
neighbors that want to CLOSE DOWN our club .

I do not understand why they would move to an area that hads a range if they did not like the
activities that go on there . The club was there Before the houses .

That would be like buying a house on a golf course and then sueing the golf course because people play golf there .

Sometimes people are idiots .
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...my Father's sister was visting with her son (Mark) from Kali. ...The kid was amazed to find lockback knifes on my shelf and all the neat "restricted weapons" in my bedroom.
"Your Dad lets you have all this stuff?" Mark asked in amazement.
... his Mom walks in......
eyes Mark with a knife
eyes my gun rack with 10/22, pellet gun, and 12ga
looks at me.........AND FREAKS OUT!

View Quote

Geez, Boom! Didn't that boy have a father!? P.W.ed and not even dating!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top