Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2010 8:18:12 AM EDT
Have you guys heard about this?  Basically, people in the US sell packages to foreign women who are pregnant that includes a stay of a month or 2, medical services, etc, so they can come here and have a baby, which is then a US citizen and can take advantage of all that entails.  Unbelievable.  Well, not really, but infuriating none the less.

Birth Tourism In the US on the Rise for Turkish Parents.

With more Turkish parents wanting their child to be born in the US, tourism companies are starting to offer ‘birth tourism’ packages to US cities. Many women say giving birth in the US has benefits including cheaper education and fewer visa worries. Some Americans, however, want to restrict the practice, citing fears of illegal migration

If Bruce Springsteen’s 1982 hit “Born in the USA” were to become popular again, the title might now refer to thousands of Turkish children whose parents are increasingly traveling to the United States to give birth.

According to tourism expert Gürkan Boztepe and media sources, 12,000 Turkish children have been born in the U.S. since 2003.The numbers are significant enough to draw the attention of tourism companies and inspire them to pursue “birth tourism.”

“We found a company on the Internet and decided to go to Austin for our child’s birth,” said Selin Burcuoğlu who gave birth to a daughter last year. “It was incredibly professional. They organized everything for me. I had no problem adjusting and I had an excellent birth,” she told the Hürriyet Daily News & Economic Review.

Burcuoğlu said she and her partner chose to have the birth in the U.S. to make their child’s life more comfortable. “I don’t want her to deal with visa issues – American citizenship has so many advantages.”

Birth tourism

Burcuoğlu is not the only Turkish parent who wants her child to have U.S. citizenship. Many Turkish parents-to-be are now seeking tourism companies to “guarantee” their child’s life.

“We have been involved in medical tourism since 2002,” said Levent Baş, general manager of Gurib Tourism. “But we were also receiving so many demands about this issue that we decided to sell birth packages,” he told the Daily News.

“We first started our research in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago and Orlando and we only contacted Turkish doctors,” Baş said. “But we are preparing a package that covers everything from the flight and city tours to accommodation for several months and hospital expenses.”

In terms of cost, Baş said the minimum expense is $25,000, which rises to $40,000 if the destination is New York.

Birth tourism organizations are located throughout Turkey, including one run by Gürkan Boztepe in the Aegean province of İzmir. “Before, only celebrities gave birth in the U.S. We are now aiming, however, to make this service accessible to everyone. And surprisingly, our customers are not just from İzmir and Istanbul, there are also many people from smaller provinces, such as [southeastern] Gaziantep.”

Many families, however, do not want to talk openly about the process, according to the birth tourism operators. “Many people say they are doing it because they want their kids to get a cheaper education and not deal with visa issues when they grow up,” said Baş.

“But they don’t want to make it public. Even celebrities who have done this are trying to ignore the issue by saying they had to give birth in the U.S. because their doctors were there,” he said.

Arzu Geiger is an entrepreneur who lives in Gilbert, Arizona, and offers customers the option to stay in her home.

“We got the idea when a friend of ours wished to give birth in the U.S.,” she told the Daily News. “We realized that many women abroad may also wish to give birth in the U.S., but may have many concerns regarding arrangements or safety. Some women may choose to stay alone with us for the first few months, then move to separate living arrangements when family members arrive for the birth.”

While the small-scale companies have started investing in the birth market, bigger firms are also entering the market with alternative packages. The Turkish-owned Marmara Hotel group recently announced a birth tourism package that includes accommodation at their Manhattan branch.

“We hosted 15 families last year,” said Nur Ercan Mağden, head manager of The Marmara Manhattan, adding that the cost was $45,000 each.

Law Amendment

According to the U.S.’s 14th Amendment, the country grants citizenship to anyone born on its soil. At the same time, however, many have demanded the elimination of the “ius soli” law.

"They come to this country and have babies. The children are citizens. The children are eligible to go to school. They receive food stamps and social programs. The American taxpayers are paying for it," said Republican Congressman Gary Miller last month, who is co-sponsoring a bill that seeks to abolish birthright citizenship for children born in the country to illegal immigrant parents.

According to Emre Özgü, a partner at law firm Barst Mukamal & Kleiner LLP in New York, people in favor of tightening immigration laws have been attempting to end “ius soli” citizenship for years.

“Those trying to restrict immigration argue these babies, who are occasionally called ‘anchor babies,’ serve as a key link in the ‘chain immigration’ process that they would like to see eliminated. However, there is no current pending legislation before Congress that would limit the claim to U.S. citizenship of a child born in the U.S.,” Özgü told the Daily News.

When asked whether birthright citizenship could be considered a loophole in the law, Özgü said he would not classify the “ius soli” citizenship as such because it is explicitly included within the U.S. Constitution.

“While it can be controversial, birth tourism is legal in the U.S.,” said Geiger. “Some of the major concerns expressed with birth tourism are that the mother and baby can access free health and social benefits at the expense of U.S. taxpayers. We do not accept customers in this manner – they are responsible for the payment of their own medical expenses.”

Baş, however, thinks U.S. authorities are ultimately unconcerned by the practice. “I think the United States is aware of such a law, otherwise they would prevent it. I think it is part of an integration policy. They want people to become American citizens.”

Other examples

Birth tourism to the U.S. is not just popular in Turkey but also in Asian countries such as South Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan. According to a Los Angeles Times report, many South Korean parents-to-be have chosen to give birth in the U.S. for many reasons, ranging from a desire to enroll their children in American schools to enabling them to avoid South Korean military service.

The birthright citizenship formerly applied to other countries such as the United Kingdom and Australia but both countries modified their law in the mid-1980s.

India maintained such birthright law until 2004, but ended the right to prevent continued illegal immigration from neighbors Pakistan and Bangladesh

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=birth-tourism-to-the-usa-explodes-2010-03-12
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought this was going to be about visiting Kenya.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/4/20/128847564440861318.jpg

His lips match the suit.

I thought the same thing though. Like a tour of Kenya or something.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll just leave this here...(non-hot)

www.numbersusa.com
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]
It is unbelievable to me that nobody in Congress has ever bothered to fix the 14th Amendment.  It was meant to make sure slaves were citizens after the Civil War, not to give US citizenship, which is one of the most valuable things on the face of the Earth, to anybody who manages to sneak across the border or who has the means to come here for a freakin' birth vacation.  And the fact that people in the US (I hesitate to call them Americans) are essentially selling US citizenship makes me want to puke in my suit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Have you guys heard about this?

Yeah, back in the 80s.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#7]
There are women that run the 100 yard dash from mexico as soon as their water breaks.   I dont see any reason to worry about this, we dont give a shit about the southern border.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#8]
This has been going on with Mexico for decades,I can't say I am surpised that other countrys are catching on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#9]
And we get closer and closer to becoming a Third World shithole.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#10]
This is very common in the Detroit area. You wouldn't believe how many little Osamas are born here and immediately get on the .gov tit. Then their mothers can get WIC, SSI and other freebies too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you guys heard about this?

Yeah, back in the 80s.

And allot of illegals coming accross are pregnant women, with "anchor" babies
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#13]
This has been going on for decades in southern border states. Thanks for waking up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is unbelievable to me that nobody in Congress has ever bothered to fix the 14th Amendment.  It was meant to make sure slaves were citizens after the Civil War, not to give US citizenship, which is one of the most valuable things on the face of the Earth, to anybody who manages to sneak across the border or who has the means to come here for a freakin' birth vacation.  And the fact that people in the US (I hesitate to call them Americans) are essentially selling US citizenship makes me want to puke in my suit.

QFT
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#15]
if you have money or come from a country not the third world, a tourist visa is pretty easy. If you are a poor schmuck or schmuckette, no visible means of support, no property or job, coming from a turd world terlet, you ain't getting a tourist visa or any visa for that matter. Then you have the illegal methods entering the USA
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How exactly do you propose that Congress "fix" the 14th? If you want the issue to actually be fixed, you amend the constitution again....and congress doesn't have that authority.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone not of Native American heritage, please leave this thread.

Us real Americans want to have a discussion about foreigners coming here and having babies as if that makes them "Americans".
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Us real Americans want to have a discussion about foreigners coming here and having babies as if that makes them "Americans".

We stole it and conquered it fair and square. If you don't like it, step on down the line to the reservation with the women and children, someone will be along shortly to address your complaints.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm sure ya'll would enjoy living in animal skin tents, constant movement, starvation, etc. today right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Not many people can shell out $25K-$40K
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#21]
share the wealth....that's what I say.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Any conservative that reads http://blog.vdare.com/ already knows about this. I consider it a must visit site.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes. This is what you call anchor babies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Mexicans do it everyday
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I have friends from college who are well off Canadians who do this.  However, it's not so they or their kids can emigrate here but rather that Canadian health care is so poor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#26]
End automatic anchor baby citizenship. One parent must be a citizen or the spawn goes home with those who bred it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Pathetic...
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, they should have to earn it like every other natural born American

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#29]
So, people come here LEGALLY, because they want to have their kids be US citizens, then go home...

Nothing wrong with that at all...

If anything, it's a further testament to how great America is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It was meant to set a standard for citizenship, which it did.

A standard that is how MOST of our ancestors got their citizenship, BTW.

We aren't talking about illegals here - there is NO sneaking involved in this article....

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#31]
P.S. This thread PROVES my point on immigration...

It's not about legal/illegal at all...

It's the same old bullshit about 'America is Full' , just applied to people who aren't Irish, Italian, etc...

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm just saying, don't be too quick with judgement, or to withhold American citizenship.

Most everyone here will only have to look back a relatively short distance to find out which of their ancestors were immigrants.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I wish my parents had done that...

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It's the same old bullshit about 'America is Full'
, just applied to people who aren't Irish, Italian, etc...

If you have a marketable professional skill and come here because you got a job, or you are interviewing for a job then we welcome you.

If you are a day laborer and you come here either legally or illegally to stand in front of Shoneys and search for work then yes, we are full.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#35]
We should have done away with birthright citizenship a long time ago.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, I don't know about Turks, but for way over 30 years it has been business as usual for Mexicans coming over from Juarez to have a citizen
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Squat and drop!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's the same old bullshit about 'America is Full' , just applied to people who aren't Irish, Italian, etc...

Dave,

I've always thought you're a savvy guy, but I couldn't disagree more.  

For all practical purposes, yes:  America is full.  You're fully aware what the empl –– err, I mean, unemployment rates are like these days.  You see what the feds and state governments are doing.  In my home state alone, Gov. Purdue plans to slash the state budget by $1 billion and terminate 600+ state jobs.  

I don't give a darn about someone's ethnicity, and let's put social programs aside altogether for just a second.  Do you honestly believe taxpayers won't have to bear an appreciable burden for schooling the kids the OP outlined?  How much does it cost to put a child through school these days?

It's relative to the state, of course, but circa 2006, "Based on the most recent per-pupil expenditure figures, the average student enrolled in public school for the next 12 years can expect to have about $100,000 spent on his or her education."

As the same source notes, that was 4.7 of our GDP in 2006.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Been doing it for YEARS.

Bil worked in the ER at various hospitals in the NW along the Canadian border... around 10 years ago.  Canuck preggers were constantly coming in to birth, along with many other people with many other complaints.  The hospitals could not turn them away...
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Dave_A has said before he thinks 600 million people is the carrying capacity for the U.S.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#41]
The guy that wrote this didn't know shit about "Born in the USA"....

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Dave_A has said before he thinks 600 million people is the carrying capacity for the U.S.

I'm genuinely curious to hear the reasoning behind that number.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This has been going on for decades in southern border states. Thanks for waking up.

No, this is different.  This is not illegals sneaking across the border to give birth, this is people in the US selling vacation packages to pregnant women.  Same end result, but this pisses me off even more because we have people here making money selling US citizenship.  BTW, I didn't just wake up, I've lived my entire life in Southern California, I know a thing or 2 about illegal aliens.  BUt a pregnant illegal sneaking through the desert is one thing, people selling fuckng vacation packages, which is essentially selling US citizenship, pisses me off even more than illegals sneaking across the border to give birth.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How exactly do you propose that Congress "fix" the 14th? If you want the issue to actually be fixed, you amend the constitution again....and congress doesn't have that authority.

You know what I mean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top