Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2010 8:04:50 AM EDT
New speed cameras trap motorists from space
A new type of speed cameras which can use satellites to measure average speed over long distances are being tested in Britain.

By By Richard Savill
Published: 6:30AM BST 20 Apr 2010

The cameras, which combine number plate reading technology with a global positioning satellite receiver, are similar to those used in roadworks.

The AA said it believed the new system could cover a network of streets as opposed to a straight line, and was “probably geared up to zones in residential areas.”

The Home Office is testing the cameras at two sites, one in Southwark, London, and the other A374 between Antony and Torpoint in Cornwall.

The `SpeedSpike’ system, which calculates average speed between any two points in the network, has been developed by PIPS Technology Ltd, an American-owned company with a base in Hampshire.

Details of the trials are contained in a House of Commons report. The company said in its evidence that the cameras enabled "number plate capture in all weather conditions, 24 hours a day". It also referred to the system's "low cost" and ease of installation.

The system could be used for "main road enforcement for congestion reduction and speed enforcement", and could help to "eliminate rat-runs" and cut speeds outside schools, it added. It could also reduce the need for speed humps.

The development of speed cameras has raised concerns about expanding state surveillance.

The Home Office said it was unable to comment on the trials because of "commercial confidentiality".

The AA said it would watch the system “carefully” but it did not believe there was anything sinister. “It is a natural evolution of the technology that is out there,” a spokesman said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7608153/New-speed-cameras-trap-motorists-from-space.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Joy.  I can't wait until they develop X-Ray vision into our houses to keep us all honest people.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Pussies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Next they will require you to have a 3rd license plate on your roof.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
New speed cameras trap motorists from space
A new type of speed cameras which can use satellites to measure average speed over long distances are being tested in Britain.

By By Richard Savill
Published: 6:30AM BST 20 Apr 2010

The cameras, which combine number plate reading technology with a global positioning satellite receiver, are similar to those used in roadworks.

The AA said it believed the new system could cover a network of streets as opposed to a straight line, and was “probably geared up to zones in residential areas.”

The Home Office is testing the cameras at two sites, one in Southwark, London, and the other A374 between Antony and Torpoint in Cornwall.

The `SpeedSpike’ system, which calculates average speed between any two points in the network, has been developed by PIPS Technology Ltd, an American-owned company with a base in Hampshire.

Details of the trials are contained in a House of Commons report. The company said in its evidence that the cameras enabled "number plate capture in all weather conditions, 24 hours a day". It also referred to the system's "low cost" and ease of installation.

The system could be used for "main road enforcement for congestion reduction and speed enforcement", and could help to "eliminate rat-runs" and cut speeds outside schools, it added. It could also reduce the need for speed humps.

The development of speed cameras has raised concerns about expanding state surveillance.

The Home Office said it was unable to comment on the trials because of "commercial confidentiality".

The AA said it would watch the system “carefully” but it did not believe there was anything sinister. “It is a natural evolution of the technology that is out there,” a spokesman said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7608153/New-speed-cameras-trap-motorists-from-space.html

Developed and tested in the UK by a US company and coming to the USA next…  Guaranteed!

http://pipstechnology.com/home_us/
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#5]
What has happened with the youth of today? Where has the ballsack gone?

If speed cameras as they are today had been around when I was a kid, I can guarantee there would be a few 'accidents' in my 'hood.

It's up to you under-18s out there to nip this shit in the bud! Take one for the team. You've got a free pass right now. Use it.

ETA: This post has been for entertainment purposes only. I in no way suggest or condone the vandalism of community property.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Developed and tested in the UK by a US company and coming to the USA next…  Guaranteed!

No argument there.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#7]
1. Drive a truck
2. Place the tailgate down and place a piece of wood in the bed if need be
3. ?????
4. Profit

Reading comprehension FAIL

Waste of money
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#8]
While very disturbing, this part is rather impressive:

The company said in its evidence that the cameras enabled "number plate capture in all weather conditions, 24 hours a day"
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#9]
It's ok, I heard that we can use our .50 cal. rifles to shoot down those satellites
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1. Drive a truck
3. ?????
4. Profit

ALPR cameras read your front plate for this very reason amongst others…
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Pussies.

Fuck, we're only in a slightly slower bus that's headed over the same cliff.
There are speed cameras all over I-10 and I-17 here in Phoenix. Now the government wants to regulate salt content in food here...

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Pussies.

Fuck, we're only in a slightly slower bus that's headed over the same cliff. There are speed cameras all over I-10 and I-17 here in Phoenix. Now the government wants to regulate salt content in food here...

Don't you go diverting the ARFCOM Outrage Bus with your facts!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What has happened with the youth of today? Where has the ballsack gone?

If speed cameras as they are today had been around when I was a kid, I can guarantee there would be a few 'accidents' in my 'hood.

It's up to you under-18s out there to nip this shit in the bud! Take one for the team. You've got a free pass right now. Use it.

ETA: This post has been for entertainment purposes only. I in no way suggest or condone the vandalism of community property.

Oh, believe me they do. There's whole websites devoted to destroyed/vandalized speed cameras in the UK. Although Big Brother over there is well ahead of them, putting up several cheap fake/empty camera boxes for every real one, and moving them around as well.

Despite our status as a tax-hell, and having absolutely no CCW whatsoever, photo-radar, speed cameras, and red-light cameras are forbidden in WI by state law.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What is a front license plate?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Drive a truck
3. ?????
4. Profit

Texas requires a front plate.  I haven't had one on my truck in years.

Just sayin'
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Drive a truck
3. ?????
4. Profit

Just sayin'

Yeah, but the first thing that happens when ALPR speed cameras are introduced is they stage a patrol car downrange of the speed trap and any car that gets pinged and the camera throws up a 'NO HIT' because the plate is missing or obscured gets pulled and ticketed.

Dunno about 'over there', but the fine for having a missing plate is bigger than the speeding fine 'over here'.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://pipstechnology.com/home_us/

dude do you ever get pissed at the shit that's going on in your country or is constantly trying to compare Great (used loosely) Britian to the U.S. the only thing you care about?

seems like a coping mechanism

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Drive a truck
3. ?????
4. Profit

Just sayin'

You've been very lucky....so far.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, but the first thing that happens when ALPR speed cameras are introduced is they stage a patrol car downrange of the speed trap and any car that gets pinged and the camera throws up a 'NO HIT' because the plate is missing or obscured gets pulled and ticketed.

Dunno about 'over there', but the fine for having a missing plate is bigger than the speeding fine 'over here'.

My state is too poor to issue front plates.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't see where it would be cost-effective.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Eh, wont matter much. Them doing away with NASA will hinder the sattelites way into space.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Eh, wont matter much. Them doing away with NASA will hinder the sattelites way into space.

In the end, an American company will be launching satellites using Russian rockets to ticket people speeding in England.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Joy.  I can't wait until they develop X-Ray vision into our houses to keep us all honest people.

wait...until.....yeah you don't think they can do that yet?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#24]
They are not using sat pictures to track speed. What they are doing is calculating your speed from point A to point B and using the camera's known GPS position and networked cameras to calculate it.

You are driving along. You pass camera A who reads your plate. You make a couple of turns. Go down a different road and pass camera B who reads your plate. They know the shortest route between the cameras and the speed limits on that route and calculate it takes X amount of time to travel that distance. If you show up before X amount of time they know you were speeding and issue a ticket.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Your Honor, we would like to examine the hardware to make sure it is working properly.  Please tell the goobermint to produce the satellite.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

1. Drive a truck

3. ?????

4. Profit

Reading comprehension FAIL

Waste of money

My bully bar covers over the top of the front plate where it cannot be read from above.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#27]

I don't know everything about remote sensing satellites, but I am sure they don't have the capability to do all they say they do.  

There is NO WAY they can use this system and make money off of it.  A satellite orbits the earth and so it would only be effective in a specified area a limited amount of time.  The rest of the time it would be orbiting the rest of the world.  They could try doing off-nadir, but that is still only good for a while.

The other problem, they don't have satellites that have high enough resolution to read your freaking license plate.  MAYBE, some oober secret CIA national security satellite does, but no civilian has that capability.  You would have to have about 1 inch resolution per pixel in order to read a license plate.

The last part that is ridiculous is the part about how it works in all weather conditions.  I assume they are planning on reading license plates in the visible spectrum of energy, so how do you get a sensor to go through clouds and capture an image of a license plate?  It can't be done.  Yes, yes, I know that there are forms of energy, radar, infrared, etc that pass through clouds.  But those forms of energy would not allow you to read a license plate from freaking space.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn!  When it's fo time, we'll all have to fo at the speed limit!

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#29]
They can do the same with EZ-Pass too.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't know everything about remote sensing satellites, but I am sure they don't have the capability to do all they say they do.  

There is NO WAY they can use this system and make money off of it.  A satellite orbits the earth and so it would only be effective in a specified area a limited amount of time.  The rest of the time it would be orbiting the rest of the world.  They could try doing off-nadir, but that is still only good for a while.

The other problem, they don't have satellites that have high enough resolution to read your freaking license plate.  MAYBE, some oober secret CIA national security satellite does, but no civilian has that capability.  You would have to have about 1 inch resolution per pixel in order to read a license plate.

The last part that is ridiculous is the part about how it works in all weather conditions.  I assume they are planning on reading license plates in the visible spectrum of energy, so how do you get a sensor to go through clouds and capture an image of a license plate?  It can't be done.  Yes, yes, I know that there are forms of energy, radar, infrared, etc that pass through clouds.  But those forms of energy would not allow you to read a license plate from freaking space.

Read Foxxz's post above. You're not understanding how the system works. It's easily doable.

Also - regarding making money... in practice that hasn't been a requirement for use of speed cameras. It's quite common for municipalities to jump on the bandwagon w/ unmanned cameras, only to realize that the system costs them more than they earn in revenue. The company providing the service usually does cut a pretty good profit, however.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

They can do the same with EZ-Pass too.

Yep, and far cheaper.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Drive a truck
3. ?????
4. Profit

Just sayin'

No front licence plate needed in FL.... for the time being. But the speed traps and red light cameras and toll cameras..... ever have the feeling that you are being watched???
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read Foxxz's post above. You're not understanding how the system works. It's easily doable.

Also - regarding making money... in practice that hasn't been a requirement for use of speed cameras. It's quite common for municipalities to jump on the bandwagon w/ unmanned cameras, only to realize that the system costs them more than they earn in revenue. The company providing the service usually does cut a pretty good profit, however.

Ah, well the camera part makes sense for determining someone's license plate.

The satellite determining your speed still does not make sense.  It would cost millions and millions of dollars to launch a satellite into space to do this.  Why not just place radars where the camera's are mounted?

Also, That still doesn't solve the problem of the satellite orbiting the earth and only being effective for small intervals of time that I mentioned in my first post.

I also don't think they have have the technology to isolate one vehicle and record its time and then record it at another point.  How do they know it isn't another car they are recording at the next designated spot?  You would need incredibly high resolution to identify one car and stay with it.  In fact, if your'e staying with it, why not just record its speed instead of averaging over two points.

I call BS.  MAYBE they could use UAV's, but not satellites.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Geosynchronous Orbit.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There is NO WAY they can use this system and make money off of it.  A satellite orbits the earth and so it would only be effective in a specified area a limited amount of time.  The rest of the time it would be orbiting the rest of the world.  They could try doing off-nadir, but that is still only good for a while. A freshman at Tx A&M can map out orbits that will give 20 hours coverage with one sat––there are 27 gps stas in orbit = 5 overhead at all times

They are using ground based cameras and a computer network.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#36]
They are logging the time and date they saw your vehicle at point A and at point B and then subtracting the difference. They say hey... These camera are 3 miles apart. If the speed limit is 60 MPH then it shuold take you 3 minutes to go that distance. If you arrive at camera B before 3 minutes you were going faster than 60MPH somewhere along the way.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#37]
PA22 and P2, you guys are correct, those are things I didn't think of.

I still don't believe it is very cost effective. (Not that government cares).  It still seems that it would be cheaper and easier to just mount radars where the cameras are located as is practiced today already.  But, I've been wrong before.

Edit,

I still don't understand how they make sure they are measuring the same cars at two different points.  You would have to track the car the whole way it seems.

Edit again,

Why not just record the time the picture was taken at both points and then use those times to determine whether they were speeding or not.  Then there is no use for the satellites???
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, it'll sure be hard to hang a burning tire from those!  

Think of how big they'll have to make the fines to offset the cost of satellite upkeep.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#40]
How well does it work now with all that volcanic ash??
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I still don't believe it is very cost effective. (Not that government cares).  It still seems that it would be cheaper and easier to just mount radars where the cameras are located as is practiced today already.  But, I've been wrong before.

Edit,

I still don't understand how they make sure they are measuring the same cars at two different points.  You would have to track the car the whole way it seems.

Edit again,

Why not just record the time the picture was taken at both points and then use those times to determine whether they were speeding or not.  Then there is no use for the satellites???

The article mentions 'plate reading technology'. So no... they don't need to have anyone monitor your vehicle.

So, for every vehicle passing a camera, the camera takes a photo of the plate. The computer system then translates this into the actual plate # (not an image), and checks it against the last recorded 'sighting' of your plate w/in the monitoring area, of one exists. Then, as Foxxz mentions above, the determination is made if you were speeding.

The really nice (in a fucked up, big brother sort of way) thing about this system is it records the comings & goings of pretty much everyone on the highway, detailing their route
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Control the populace.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#43]
The UK is broke and about to implode financially and they are spending money on this shit?

ETA: It is fast becoming a jihadists wet dream and they think speeders are the big threat. They are doomed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Officers don't seem to care.  Only one who ever gave me a ticket for it was Houston PD.

Showed the judge my receipt for the purchase of new plates - dismissed.

If i am ever unable to get it dismissed then i'll pay the fine and put a plate on my truck.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

wait...until.....yeah you don't think they can do that yet?

I think they have to aim it...to do one house at a time.  Fully automated random scanning of all houses on a regular basis is at least a decade away.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm reminded of the old Muppets' skit...

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, well the camera part makes sense for determining someone's license plate.

The satellite determining your speed still does not make sense.  It would cost millions and millions of dollars to launch a satellite into space to do this.  Why not just place radars where the camera's are mounted?

Also, That still doesn't solve the problem of the satellite orbiting the earth and only being effective for small intervals of time that I mentioned in my first post.

I also don't think they have have the technology to isolate one vehicle and record its time and then record it at another point.  How do they know it isn't another car they are recording at the next designated spot?  You would need incredibly high resolution to identify one car and stay with it.  In fact, if your'e staying with it, why not just record its speed instead of averaging over two points.

I call BS.  MAYBE they could use UAV's, but not satellites.

They are NOT launching satellites.

They are using the existing GPS system.

When the car passes the first camera, it's plate AND GPS coords are recorded...

When the car passes the second camera, it's plate and gps coords are recorded...

From that, it calculates speed...

(The same thing can be done with tollways and 'EzPass' or 'Good to Go' type transponders - get to the next toll too fast = speeding = ticket)...

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Well, it'll sure be hard to hang a burning tire from those!  

Think of how big they'll have to make the fines to offset the cost of satellite upkeep.

The only satellites involved, are GPS.

No upkeep for the speed-camera folks.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Edit,

License Plate Recognition. Same plate = Same Car

Edit again,

The company is promoting it as a way to automatically enforce speed over a wide area...

Eg, pass camera A, then be checked again at B, C, or D...

GPS also enables 'speed vans' for camera stations, a/o just fixed pole-mount...

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officers don't seem to care.  Only one who ever gave me a ticket for it was Houston PD.

Showed the judge my receipt for the purchase of new plates - dismissed.

If i am ever unable to get it dismissed then i'll pay the fine and put a plate on my truck.  No big deal.

The people that I know who have been caught without a front plate were driving sports cars and mostly stopped by DPS.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top