Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2010 5:53:21 AM EDT
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100420/us_nm/us_immigration_usa_arizona

PHOENIX (Reuters) – Arizona lawmakers passed a controversial immigration bill on Monday requiring police in the state that borders Mexico to determine if people are in the United States illegally, a measure critics say is open to racial profiling.

Lawmakers in the Arizona Senate voted 17 to 11 to approve the bill, widely regarded as the toughest measure yet taken by any U.S. state to curb illegal immigration.

The state's House of Representatives approved the measure last week. Governor Jan Brewer, a Republican, has five days to veto the bill or sign it into law.

Immigration is a bitterly fought issue in the United States, where some 10.8 million illegal immigrants live and work in the shadows, although it has been eclipsed in recent months by a healthcare overhaul and concern over the economy.

The law requires state and local police to determine the status of people if there is "reasonable suspicion" that they are illegal immigrants and to arrest people who are unable to provide documentation proving they are in the country legally.

It also makes it a crime to transport someone who is an illegal immigrant and to hire day laborers off the street.

"I believe handcuffs are a wonderful tool when they're on the right people," said Russell Pearce, the Republican state senator who wrote the bill.

We want to "get them off law enforcement and get them on the bad guys," he told Reuters.

Opponents of the Arizona law, some of whom held a vigil outside Brewer's home on Monday to urge her to veto the measure, say it is unconstitutional and would discriminate against Latinos.

"You cannot tell if a person walking on a sidewalk is undocumented or not ... (so) this is a mandate for racial profiling," said Pablo Alvarado, director of the National Day Laborer Organizing Network.

Alvarado said his group would call on the federal government to intervene and was considering legal action to overturn the bill.

(Reporting by Tim Gaynor and David Schwartz; Editing by John O'Callaghan)
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Did she sign it?!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Did she sign it?!

"Governor Jan Brewer, a Republican, has five days to veto the bill or sign it into law."
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did she sign it?!

"Governor Jan Brewer, a Republican, has five days to veto the bill or sign it into law."

I know that part, but your article is old news?

I'm waiting to see what she does.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#5]
INBD_A says that states have no right to secure themselves from an aggressor and that there is nothing happening as the Mexican Government has everything contained.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#6]
good, first clue is most don't speak English.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Obama and the congress critters are gonna pass amnesty before November therefore making this law completely useless.

I say political theater.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did she sign it?!

I know that part, but your article is old news?

I'm waiting to see what she does.

This "old news" is highlighted on the front page of Drudge.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1027406

Almost a week ago.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Obama and the congress critters are gonna pass amnesty before November therefore making this law completely useless.

I say political theater.

Not sure what you mean by the political theater comment. Jan Brewer's the real deal. She's not doing things for show.
So far she's fought to get on board suing the feds over health care reform (even when our POS attorney general wasn't cooperating), signed into law CCW legislation allowing citizens to carry concealed w/o a license, and now this.

As far as I'm concerned, Jan Brewer rocks and the state legislature is doing a great job getting worthwhile legislation on her desk. FINALLY.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Deport Alvarado with the 1st batch to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top