Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2010 5:20:07 AM EDT
When will I know if I am in the clear?

My tummy is a bit upset but I think that is from the two small bananas I had for breakfast.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll be fine....that is, until you have to deal with saying "tummy" on ARFCOM.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]
If you didn't get sick yesterday, you will be fine.  The onset of food poisoning isn't too long.  Usually within 2 hours.  Rarely does it take longer than 6.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Medium rare chicken......mmmmmm!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:26:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Chicken sausage??
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Dibs on guns
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Medium rare chicken......mmmmmm!

It's even better if you leave it out on the counter for 2-3 days.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Chicken sausage??

Yuckkk is right....

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Dibs on ammo.

Oh, and my condolences.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Dibs on everything not bolted down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:38:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Eat a couple Fiber One bars, just to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:38:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Hope you've got plenty of butt wiper.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Chicken sausage??

Never heard of it myself.

Chicken can be pink from being frozen, even after it is completely cooked.  I wouldn't worry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Chase it with your favorite liquor, should kill anything in your stomach. Or so I've been told.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Is it time for the raw chicken in Egypt story? Is it?

Early in my contracting career, I was working an instructing gig at a port in Egypt off the Gulf of Suez, and the crew was staying in what passes for a "resort hotel" in that part of the world. We ate breakfast and supper in the hotel dining room and lunch in the port cafeteria.

One evening very early into the job I was about halfway finished with a tasty chicken gyro there in the hotel dining room when one of my partners looked at me and made kind of a face. I had bitten into the sandwich and ended up with a piece of chicken hanging out of my mouth for a second. His face wasn't in objection to that faux pas, but to the fact that the chicken dangling from my mouth was almost completely uncooked. I opened up the sandwich and saw that most of it was somewhere between raw and very rare.

You know that moment when you can feel throughout every cell in your body that you have taken a wrong path, and that it's going to be a very bumpy ride down to the bottom and a long climb back up to level ground again? Yeah...

I went back to my room and jammed my fingers down my throat until I was gagging up bile, then walked into the bar and ordered three double Finlandias with lime juice. The bartender lined 'em up and I knocked 'em back, then rejoined my mates at the table.

As it happened, the combination of vomiting, vodka and citrus must have killed whatever incipient salmonella might have been lurking in that particular culinary disaster, but I went on to lose 22 pounds over the next two and a half months in Egypt through chronic diarrhea, including a three day spell where I didn't leave my hotel room at all, and consumed only Lucozade, apparently a European Gatorade analog, and immodium. It took two cycles of Cipro to kill whatever had infested me once I got back to the States.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Chase it with your favorite liquor, should kill anything in your stomach. Or so I've been told.

I think that theory holds true.  That Woodford you drank on Saturday is proof enough.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:47:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Tummy needs more babnanas
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Just don't puke on a 12 yo girl, and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My tummy is a bit upset but I think that is from the two small bananas I had for breakfast.

If it was Pink because it's Raw, you might get a roll of paper & a Magazine ready for a trip to your 'home office'

Sometimes, fully cooked chicken has a Pink tint to it....maybe caused by a marinade or still a little frozen when it was cooked???

I wouldn't worry to much...

ETA

Dibs on his house.....
Never mind, I'll pass on New Jersey???

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that theory holds true.  That Woodford you drank on Saturday is proof enough.

But you had that rum. Unless the booze has to be ingested after the questionable food.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You'll be fine....that is, until you have to deal with saying "tummy" on ARFCOM.

LOL!

I would think that you are in the clear by now, but I'm only going from personal experience.

I've had food poisoning a minimum of 3 times. Each time it happened, I was explicitly aware of it within 2 hours.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#21]
when I had food poisioning it took over 6 hours for me to become sick (undercooked chicken was the cause)
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Have mommy kiss it and make it better
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have a comment relating to the locked thread from yesterday, but I don't want any nastygrams from the mods.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Dibs on everything that's left
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you had that rum. Unless the booze has to be ingested after the questionable food.
I dunno.  Leslie said that if the chicken was bad, that the both of us would probably be in the hospital right now with IV's in our arms.  Not to mention that chicken  was fucking hot and the meat thermometer said "close enough".

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#27]
That ain't really sausage.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Your stomach is upset from two small babannas?

That could be FAIDS (Fruit AIDS)!!!! Go get checked out RIGHT NOW!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

oh no! yum yum for your tum tum make baby upset???
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno.  Leslie said that if the chicken was bad, that the both of us would probably be in the hospital right now with IV's in our arms.  Not to mention that chicken  was fucking hot and the meat thermometer said "close enough".

Close enough. LOL. That thing was on the grill fora good 2.5 hours. It should have been done.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Close enough. LOL. That thing was on the grill fora good 2.5 hours. It should have been done.
Regardless it was pretty fucking tasty.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If you didn't get sick yesterday, you will be fine.  The onset of food poisoning isn't too long.  Usually within 2 hours.  Rarely does it take longer than 6.

Depending on the infecting agent, symptoms might not appear for days.  Some illnesses have longer incubation periods.

If you get sick that quickly, then you probably ingested a toxin.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

When you see some REALLY brown sausages sitting in a bowl filled with water.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Chicken sausage??

yup, more like chicken links. sausage is made from pork. the other white meat.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depending on the infecting agent, symptoms might not appear for days.  Some illnesses have longer incubation periods.

If you get sick that quickly, then you probably ingested a toxin.

Exactly. In fact, most of the common pathogens known to cause food poisoning won't trigger a symptomatic response until 12-24 hours after ingestion. Many much longer.

If you get sick 2 hours after eating something, it's pretty (extremely) unlikely it is food poisoning. Most people who think they've had food poisoning have not.
Those that have had it, however, won't likely mistake it for an upset tummy ever again. It's usually rather memorable.

As far as undercooked pork goes, one serious danger used to be trichinosis - a parasitic infection. Rather nasty... as they invade your muscle tissue, including muscular organs (like the heart).
Not sure how prevalent that is now in the production food supply. But just the chance of contracting it in the first place is enough for me to make sure my pork isn't rare.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#36]
At home or at a diner?  Was it precooked?  Pink precooked sausage doesn't mean it's undercooked.  It means it was old.  ie sitting in the warmer for 45 minutes.

Edit - oh wait chicken, yeah nevermind, your fucked.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

dude,

tummy?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was good. Maybe you ate something sketchy in Roanoke? Call your dad and see how he feels?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was good. Maybe you ate something sketchy in Roanoke? Call your dad and see how he feels?
My Ruby Tuesday hamburger was ordered (and delivered) medium rare.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I thought it was longer... if you're right, then I definitely got food poisoning from the local Burger King about 3 months ago.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Chicken sausage??

Exactly. WTF is wrong with you, OP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top