Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2010 5:47:52 AM EDT
GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wife gets 30 more chickens to replace the older layers , they are about 10 weeks old now and they are out in a not entirely secure place. (it's the pig pen when we don't have pigs) because the rest of the coops are full.
but ti's got a door and they were all locked in, etc

something (or many somethings) dug under the damn thing and that was left this morning was two chickens.  (who are probably in shock)
and a small amount of feathers around the pen area.  

The fucking fox/skunk/dog/etc population around here is about a big time case of fucking lead poisining.  On my property or not.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i have to start all over and I'm 3 months behind and $300 down.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  fuckityfuckfuckfuck
fuck

oh and to beat the fucking band, I can't let the other full grown chickens out during the day to range feed because now whatever it is has a taste for it.

going to have a taste for fucking lead.

fuck
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#1]
8/10
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like someone is about to become a lead farmer.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wife gets 30 more chickens to replace the older layers , they are about 10 weeks old now and they are out in a not entirely secure place. (it's the pig pen when we don't have pigs) because the rest of the coops are full.
but ti's got a door and they were all locked in, etc

something (or many somethings) dug under the damn thing and that was left this morning was two chickens.  (who are probably in shock)
and a small amount of feathers around the pen area.  

The fucking fox/skunk/dog/etc population around here is about a big time case of fucking lead poisining.  On my property or not.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i have to start all over and I'm 3 months behind and $300 down.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  fuckityfuckfuckfuck
fuck

oh and to beat the fucking band, I can't let the other full grown chickens out during the day to range feed because now whatever it is has a taste for it.

going to have a taste for fucking lead.

fuck

Sorry for your loss, this is the result of Co. trapping polices. Expect more of this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Might also be a racoon. They were hell on our ducks and rabbits.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Did they have a place to roost?

ETA: They'll be back, wait for them and shoot them. This sort of thing will happen from time to time. Having your own watchdog that will go off helps a lot.
         I'm guessing it's the neighbors dogs or coyotes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Predator trail cams
smartscouter.com
anything with a flash

post pics
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Chupacabra.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Chupacabra.

I can see it. Professor Venture said there was no such thing. Boy was he wrong!
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I ran an electric wire around our pen, just a couple inches off the ground, when I first built it.  Thankfully I've never lost a chicken from predator.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Possibly a hungry ARFCOMMER?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The chickens would have been choked, not ate.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Where at it Co? Near the Ne border by chance?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#16]
$300 down? Baby chickens don't cost $30 each...

Get a live a trap and start killing everything that ends up in it.  That's what I did when things started killing my ducks.  Skunks were the biggest the problem.

Build a fence for the chickens so they can't go too far.  You should still be able to let them out during the day, just make sure they get locked in before dark.

Whatever animal is getting them is most likely living near by.  Do you have any scrap piles, wood piles, old buildings, and any holes under foundations?  Clean all those up and fill in any holes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!  That's some funny shit right there! True too!
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a few yard dogs,  the chicken farmers here have a pack of jacks out during the day and then a pair of coonhounds at night.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Live catch trap is my solution.  It'll work when you aren't there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Chupacabra.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well played sir, well played.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had a bad coon problem when I raised pheasants. I used to just set leg hold traps along the outside of the fence since they will run back and forth along it for a while before they decide to break in.

I shot one almost every morning for two weeks before I thinned them out.

that's a good idea
we are thinking at this point it's a coon.

where can I get a leg hold trap?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Get a live a trap and start killing everything that ends up in it.  That's what I did when things started killing my ducks.  Skunks were the biggest the problem.

Build a fence for the chickens so they can't go too far.  You should still be able to let them out during the day, just make sure they get locked in before dark.

Whatever animal is getting them is most likely living near by.  Do you have any scrap piles, wood piles, old buildings, and any holes under foundations?  Clean all those up and fill in any holes.

$2.25 each times 30
10 weeks of food at $15/bag.  

$50 worth of goddamn red lights keeping the little cocksuckers warm when it snowed every freaking day in fucking February.

ok, $200
whatever
I'm still pissed

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Dont get your finger in them.

Traps
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#25]
When I built our coop and run, security was a big consideration.

The windows in the coop are all covered with welded wire.
I closed up / sealed all the gaps on the coop itself.

For the run, I dug a trench for the welded wire to sit in, then secured it with concrete.
This was to deter burrowing predators.
So far, so good.

I hate to hear about your flock, man.
Good luck to you.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Get a Great Pyr to keep your chickens safe.  They don't like trespassers around the chickens of the 4 legged kind or the two winged kind:  Here are our chicken guards:

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Bury chicken wire to a depth of two feet around perimeter.

They'll dig but won't be deep enough and stop trying after a while.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He said chicken not BACON....
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#29]
this is relevant to my interests......we just got a bunch of chicks a few weeks ago.

question for those who have yard birds:

Our chickens are in a 25'x15' enclosure with a 6' fence.  I put down a length of 24" chicken wire down and covered it with a few inches of dirt before I put the fence up, so there's about 12" of wire buried on either side to keep anything from digging in.   The chicken run is adjacent to the dog kennel––-they're separated by a 6' fence but share a wall.  (and yes, I buried wire there too)

Between the 2 GSDs on guard duty no more than 25 feet away and the buried wire, I don't think anything will get in––––but it wouldn't be the first time Mother Nature outsmarted me.

I'm already running a hot wire to keep the dogs in the yard, so it won't be difficult to run a strand along the bottom of the fence, but do y'all think that's necessary?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#30]
take up a sniper position with night vision and eliminate all possible threats
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like a pack of coyotes or feral dogs.  Some lone animal might kill that many, but is unlikely to eat that many.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sounds like someone is about to become a lead farmer.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#33]
The traps are good way to go. You might also use some kind of trail cam if you have one. it would only let you know what your dealing with and help pattern its movements. Sorry about the chickens.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Get a couple of Patterdale Terriers and let them do their thing, they wont stop until they kill every coon, or whatever it is you've got.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Get a Great Pyr to keep your chickens safe.  They don't like trespassers around the chickens of the 4 legged kind or the two winged kind:  Here are our chicken guards:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg166/dan_ak105/pancake.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg166/dan_ak105/snowdogs.jpg

Good looking dogs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
this is relevant to my interests......we just got a bunch of chicks a few weeks ago.

Our chickens are in a 25'x15' enclosure with a 6' fence.  I put down a length of 24" chicken wire down and covered it with a few inches of dirt before I put the fence up, so there's about 12" of wire buried on either side to keep anything from digging in.   The chicken run is adjacent to the dog kennel––-they're separated by a 6' fence but share a wall.  (and yes, I buried wire there too)

Between the 2 GSDs on guard duty no more than 25 feet away and the buried wire, I don't think anything will get in––––but it wouldn't be the first time Mother Nature outsmarted me.

I'm already running a hot wire to keep the dogs in the yard, so it won't be difficult to run a strand along the bottom of the fence, but do y'all think that's necessary?

My .02 is that you would be better off with a coop with a roost built in it. You can put a ramp on the side of it and they will go in through a window and roost for the night.
We got the building for a song and dance at an auction and had it moved. The problem with chicken wire is it's just made to contain chickens, any predator will go right through
it but the hot wire might help. Ducks were always the most vunerable and we only had problems with the chickens rarely.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't think it would be necessary, but then again, an added layer of protection sure wouldn't hurt.
Is their coop pretty secure?
I lock mine up in their coop at night, as that is when most predators do their thing.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Trapping is illegal here now unless you're .gov animal control.  We don't need no stinking farmers, we've got liberal sensabilities
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#40]
You don't have a dog?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Live catch trap is my solution.  It'll work when you aren't there.

This. Buy " Made In America" traps and not those cheap Chinese made ones. Havahart and Tomahawk are IIRC, made in the U.S.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#42]
BTDT.

Perp has been possums several times, snake once. Coyotes never bother the livestock here.

Get a baby monitor. Once you hear the chickens stir at night, game on. Rarely is it a false call. If you are super-tactical, they make video baby monitors.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Double row of chicken wire with a kill zone between the fences.

And,

Nuke it from orbit... its the only way to be sure...
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#46]
I bet it was a mink:

This one was a nice large male, he was beautiful.  But, he killed 14 of my son's layers.  We got him on the second night coming back for more in the set-up you see below.  

Mink are known to do this.  They will kill as many as they can and let them lay.  

You can use a conibear trap set up like this to catch these little butchers:  

This is 220 conibear for coon, but I put together a smaller set-up using a 110 conibear to catch the mink you see in the top picture.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's what my dad does.  Have-A-Heart + river = problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#48]
I had a raccoon terrorizing my parents ducks.  They were losing one almost nightly.  I found a half eaten carcass of one of the ducks to use as bait.  That night I shot the problem.  25 pound female raccoon.

Traps would probably be more efficient though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#49]
A couple of days ago, I woke up at 5:03 am hearing what sounded like a cat screaming.  Then the blood curdling "Nooooooooooooo" sound from the cat and one more scream then all became quiet.  after the sun was up a bit, I reconned the area to find a dead local cat in the woods behind the house.  Something had brutally murdered it and left it there.  I went back a bit later to get a better look at the victim to see if I could figure out what had gotten it but when I went back, the cat had been carried off by something.  Lead dispensing equipment is ready should a predator be seen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#50]
it was colonel sanders
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top