Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2010 10:44:58 PM EDT
I bet the airline had to buy new underwear for about 100 people.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember a young girl was flying it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

what???
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
DAMN! What is he going to do now that he recycled it? Try again? That guy has big ones
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
wonder how bad he bent the throttle while pushing that bastard with all he had  

or 'she"
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

okay...
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If she was, she was doing a damn good job.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
DAMN! What is he going to do now that he recycled it? Try again? That guy has big ones

IIRC, that was a Lufthansa plane in Munich, so he had smaller, but more efficient ones.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Heart stopping: The picture which shows the Lufthansa A320
Airbus wingtip missing a collision with the runway by inches

A 150 mph gust of wind will do that...

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, that was a Lufthansa plane in Munich, so he had smaller, but more efficient ones.

Good one!

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_01/PlaneTRETAU0303_468x316.jpg
Heart stopping: The picture which shows the Lufthansa A320Airbus wingtip missing a collision with the runway by inches

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
That was pretty close. They should have all ran to one side of the plane and tried to land it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a 50+ MPH cross component in a scAirbus.  320?  

And he was using 23 when the airport has 15?  And 15 is a shade longer.  Both cannot be used at the same time as they cross.  

Stupidity.  In the US, he would have been grounded for such a stunt.  And possible ATC issues.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Jeez, look at his angle of attack (or yaw? someone correct me) Crab angle, got it. You learn something new everyday
. I'm no expert but I would have gone around for another pass.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Heart stopping: The picture which shows the Lufthansa A320Airbus wingtip missing a collision with the runway by inches

No, that is a port tip grind.  t

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Jeez, look at his (...for you to fix...). I'm no expert but I would have gone around for another pass.  

The crab angle looked ok to me. I don't fly jets, but I'm pretty sure the basics are the same. I've heard some jet engines have a lot of lag. It looks like he may've caught some wind shear –– a gust stopped, dropping his airspeed significantly and unpredictably, making the airplane start to sink rapidly without warning. When applying full power, AFAIUnderstand, those big jet engines can take several seconds to spool up, meaning that to "go around" and abort a landing, the plane may continue to sink for several seconds before even being able to climb back out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Jeez, look at his angle of attack. I'm no expert but I would have gone around for another pass.

AoA is the horizontal attitude.  What you saw was cross wind.  The problem was that cross wind was outside of the demonstrated capacity of the airplane.

Crosswind landings are nearly always the case, airports are fixed unless it is a carrier but they have other limitations, like length and hitting the second arresting wire
.  Anyhow, crosswind will result in the plane pointing off the direction of travel relative to the ground, it is airspeed which keeps planes flying, not ground speed so they point into the vector addition of the airspeed and wind.

You see dramatically the result of attempting a landing outside of the demonstrated maximum, the high side wing cannot be brought to level because the aileron has insufficient authority to keep the plane level.  Cross wind "pushes" the wing up due to the upward bend to the wing called dihedral.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Missing by inches????? They had to replace the whole outboard section of wing when it got to the shop!
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:27:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Missing by inches????? They had to replace the whole outboard section of wing when it got to the shop!

Yep: too much spin by media.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Now remember, they are forced to land by stupid EU regulations which place a severe penalty on the carrier for delayed flights.  Something to remember when enticed by discount foreign airline prices.

Still STOOPID since this was Hamburg with 23/05 and 33/15.  He was landing on 23.  If that wind was 50 MPH full scale from starboard, he could have greased it on 33 with only a 9 MPH cross component.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#21]
CNN Story

The video has a first hand account from one of the passengers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#22]

They are forced to land, even if the pilot isn't comfortable about it, or if it's less than ideal conditions?

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

They are forced to land, even if the pilot isn't comfortable about it, or if it's less than ideal conditions?

Not exactly.  The airlines are fined heavily, per passenger, for delayed/cancelled flights more than a certain percentage.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not exactly.  The airlines are fined heavily, per passenger, for delayed/cancelled flights more than a certain percentage.  

Ahh, so they are 'pressured' to land.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Pilot error selecting the proper runway for the wind conditions.  There was a slightly longer runway 100º to the one he tried.  And on his second attempt, he landed just fine, turning that 50 MPH cross wind into a 9 MPH zephyr and increasing the headwind by about 48 MPH.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Its always the winds that have scared me more than anything else in a jet.

Gusty crosswind landings and low level windshear have left me drenched in sweat.

Usually a quickturn and then off to the next city.

Those are the days we earn every penny of our paltry compensation. (regional driver here)

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Glad your earning your penny's... we're paying 'em.....

eta - don't fuck up
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Glad your earning your penny's... wer're paying 'em.....

eta - don't fuck up

We're not paying them nearly enough.  Many regional pilots start out making less than a bus driver.  
 Remember that next time you're on your budget flight, the crew up front combined make less in a year than many of us do.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:03:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Why do I think there was a conversation not unlike that of "oh yea of little faith" video fame?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

eta - don't fuck up

We're not paying them nearly enough.  Many regional pilots start out making less than a bus driver.    Remember that next time you're on your budget flight, the crew up front combined make less in a year than many of us do.  

So if we paid more they would fly better or more smartly?

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

eta - don't fuck up

We're not paying them nearly enough.  Many regional pilots start out making less than a bus driver.    Remember that next time you're on your budget flight, the crew up front combined make less in a year than many of us do.  

I think he means a higher salary will attract a higher caliber of employee
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

eta - don't fuck up

You would like McDonalds wages for pilots huh?     Just how low can we get the pay in your industry?
A new first officer makes less than a full time employee (40 hours a week) at your local fast food joint.
Do'nt make it out like we are lazy and greedy assholes.   Professionals with real skills deserve to be compensated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pilot error selecting the proper runway for the wind conditions.  There was a slightly longer runway 100º to the one he tried.  And on his second attempt, he landed just fine, turning that 50 MPH cross wind into a 9 MPH zephyr and increasing the headwind by about 48 MPH.

Based on the CNN story I posted, the pilot was essentially forced by the tower to try that runway first.  Only after the near disaster did they relent and let the pilot try another runway.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Based on the CNN story I posted, the pilot was essentially forced by the tower to try that runway first.  Only after the near disaster did they relent and let the pilot try another runway.

One of the many challenges we face out there.   Cant get comfortable or complaicent.   Situational Awareness like a mofo!  
Thats a tough one... I know that crew needed some new undies and some cold ones after that duty day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#35]
holy shit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top