Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2010 4:25:43 AM EDT
Which AND Why?

1912 Steyr Hahn with 8 rounds of 9x23mm Steyr on a stripper (I did not include a ninth round because it is impractical to try to load a 9th with the internal mag)

Astra 600 with 9 rounds of 9x19 Parabellum

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 4:38:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Okay, now you're just getting bizarre. What's next, Mle 1935A vs. Mle 1935S?

Astra 400 for me, but I wouldn't shoot 9mm Para in it. It's chambered in 9mm Largo and that is what should be used. Extra bonus if I can have a Destroyer carbine to go along with it, same ammo.

ETA: I prefer the 400 for the magazine. Easier to load, if slower (assuming I have to load the mag by hand).

-Mark
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 4:42:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Astra 400 for me, but I wouldn't shoot 9mm Para in it. It's chambered in 9mm Largo and that is what should be used. Extra bonus if I can have a Destroyer carbine to go along with it, same ammo.

ETA: I prefer the 400 for the magazine. Easier to load, if slower (assuming I have to load the mag by hand).

-Mark

Maybe.

I'll do a fun one tomorrow night.

BTW, I edited it.  I screwed up.  That is a 600.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 4:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
My dad has a Nazi proofmarked Astra 600. It's pretty cool, but he hasn't shot it since he was in college. That Steyr is pretty intriguing though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

-Mark

Maybe.

I'll do a fun one tomorrow night.

BTW, I edited it.  I screwed up.  That is a 600.

Still going with the Astra. :-)

9mm Para will chamber and fire in a 400, but it's rough on the pistol.

-Mark
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Steyr!
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Get both!
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:09:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Steyr!

Which AND why?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:11:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Get both!

Not a choice.  

Imagine you can choose to be an Astro Hungarian or an Alfonsoist.   You obviously can't be both.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool topic!

The grip angles on both are bad,but I would take the Astra any day.

The Hahn needs a stripper clip to load fast.

That gets me every time - hitting the 'slide stop' on a Steyr Hahn and watching all the rounds fly up into the air.

The barrel on mine is toast.  Bad pitting, and was rechambered by the Germans simply by running a reamer into it.  The slide is marked '08' to match the rechambering job.  The barrel was radically throated, so about 1/3 of the case base is dangerously unsupported.  It functions well, but then again...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top