Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2002 8:34:52 AM EDT
if so give us the lowdown on buying a car, things like how much should we try to get the price down as in percentage and things to watch out for, trade in tricks, or sneaky tricks in general. i'm looking at buying a yukon
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a cars saleman but ask to see the invoice price of the vehicle and make them some offer over that price.  Your going to get screwed on the Yukon either way, becuase they loose around $10,000 when you drive them off the lot.  I've got a 2000 Tahoe so I know what I'm talking about.  It you want to get the best price buy a used 2001 or 2002 if you can find it.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
i'll probably get a used one at least a year old. if it were up to me we would keep what we have but the wife wants a big gas hog.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#3]
is there a good site that will tell you invoice prices?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to be a new car salesman, used car salesman, sales manager, truck sales dept manager, and a finance manager. The absolute best way to buy a vehicle, any vehicle, is to find a friend that has access to your local auto auction site. Have financing ready (cahier's check in hand) then tell him what you want and how much you want to pay for it. You will need to get this number from him as he will know recent auction prices.
By buying at auction, you are buying at the same place the bigger used car lots get their cars, but you don't have to pay the $4k to $5k markup. A little known fact is that most large used car lots get only 10%-15% of their stock from trade-ins from the new car lot. The rest of their used car stock comes from the auto auction, then they mark it up alot!
As far as financing/warranties go, just get your financing at your local credit union unless the factory is offering great used rates that you can qualify for. If you choose a low mile used Yukon, with less than 36,000 miles, you will still have the remaining mileage on the factory warranty. But if you are worried about a higher mileage Yukon, then buy a warranty at a Dealer after you have bought the vehicle, (as long as the Yukon doesn't have over 36,000 miles when you bought it).
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
i wish i could do that but i don't know anyone who has access to an auction thanks for the info anyway.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Carpoint.com, or MSN carpoint(somthing like that has invoice prices).  You should be able to get a loaded 2001 Yukon for around $25-26 or so.  Just need to haggle with the salemen, the majority of them are extremely stupid(I apoligize to anyone on here who is a salesman), but its true.  Just ask them to show you the invoice, and make an offer, if they don't like it walk away.  They will probably call you later if they really want to make a sale.  I'm ammused every time I go looking at new cars because the salesmen are so blatant in their tactics and truly think that the buyer is as dumb as a rock.
Bill3508  
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks,i'm going to check that site out now
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.edmunds.com[/url] has accurate invoice information.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Without access to an auction, go find the Yukon that you want. Then look at one of the suggested web sites and fill out the information on the Yukon that you have found. If you're looking at a Yukon that you found at a used car lot, then add $1,000 to the wholesale price thatthe web sites suggested. This is the amount that the dealer has added to their purchase price for 'reconditioning'. This total will be the 'invoice' price of the used Yukon. Negotiate up from there.
If possible, find a Yukon from the newspaper and secure financing from a local credit union. Then go to the individual and buy his vehicle, but make sure that it is an individual and not a used car salesman masqerading as an individual.
Email me with any other questions or if I can help more.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Why didn't anybody mention the "holdback"? It's usually 3% of the invoice price. Don't pay anything over invoice, they're still making money. Go see the Fleet Dept., they don't hassle you as much, and usually give you the best price you're gonna get, but always shop around.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Flooring
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Front End Gross
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Spiff
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#16]
An Up
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#17]
very usefull information, thanks for the help
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top