Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 10:50:58 AM EDT
...all others go to hell.

Anyway, what is your favorite basic design? Vote and then post further comments.

Also, which individual battlebot do you like the best? Personally, I like Dissector- good solid disign, combo wedge, clampbot and hammerbot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
actually, i like wedge/spinners (cones?). spikes are good to poke holes, but a good spinner/blade just hacks the other bots to little bits, spraying them all over the arena.

it's a good thing they dont allow projectile weapons, or i'd figure out how to mount a 1911 on a bot. spectators, beware!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Forget that...I'd mount a Remington 870 with Dragons Breath shells...magnesium would melt right through their armor.

Pressure Drop was a pretty decent spike... enough power to penetrate armor, long enough spike to do real damage... slow as hell, though.

Overkill is worthless...
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm actually working on a battlebot design, I am still waiting to get a ruling on weither a plasma cutter is considered an open flame [:D]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they do allow projectiles but they have to be retractable.  I downloaded the rules one time but haven't looked in awhile.  I was thinking something like a huge Lead boxing glove powered by compressed air and a reel in device of some sort.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I've floated the idea of building one, but I lack time and funding. My idea would be a spike/clamp bot. Have two steel, sawtooth arms lock around another bot horizontally. And the spike would be reflexive/automatic. When something strikes a forward mounted plate on the bot, it automatically actuactes a CO2 or nitrogen-powered spike on the front... would shoot forward about six inches with enough speed and power to peirce lexan.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Ziggo!  Spinning death...

However my two other faves are Complete Control and Toro.  I love it when Complete Control dominates a fight, and Toro gets the nod for the annihilation of all comers in the melee a season (or two) ago.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Jay Leno's ChinChilla
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#8]
spinners are cool. my plan (that will never be built because i dont have the green or time or desire) would be a spinner/jumper jump it ontop of another bot, penetrate its armor with angled spikes and lock them in the out position.now the bots are one. sure the underbot can drive. but the offbalancing this will cause will make it difficult. plus start the spinner and add even more... interesting effects to the pair. as an added bonus if the other one is a spinner and tries to spin to toss him off. the spikes will rip his internals to shreads. once declared winner he will unlock and jump up and down on the corpse.. ;)
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]
No one voted for the wedge yet, & I wanted to stick up for it. But they don't WIN.

The best fight I've ever seen was a whatzit get shredded to little pieces by a spinning blade (Wish I could remember the name of it).  
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I would submit that Leno's bot shouldn't count. He neither designed nor built it himself... rather, he hired professionals to do it for him.

Same with that little puffball who entered a bot that he purchased on ebay... If he made some significant changes in design, I would say cut him some slack, but he basically entered the thing "as is". The point of the game is destructive creativity... not supply/demand. [:(!]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I was watching battlebots last night.  In the middle weight class (I believe)  one of the robots had a lift arm that was actuated by a CO2 powered ram.  If another robot flipped it over they ooperated the lift arm and it throws the robot about 5 feet in the air and does a back 1 1/2 flip.  It was quite impressive, the strongest offensive weapon I have seen yet.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No one voted for the wedge yet, & I wanted to stick up for it. But they don't WIN.

The best fight I've ever seen was a whatzit get shredded to little pieces by a spinning blade (Wish I could remember the name of it).  
View Quote

I remember when heavyweight Vlad the Impaler got shredded by a horizontal spinning blade... can't rember the name of it. Big upset, though. Vlad was retired and replaced by superheavyweight Vladiator, who was recently emascualated by yet another spinning blade (whose triangle shaped blade doubled as a wedge.) Despite the loss of his spike, Vladiator just kept on ramming him until the blade was disabled and ultimately won.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was watching battlebots last night.  In the middle weight class (I believe)  one of the robots had a lift arm that was actuated by a CO2 powered ram.
View Quote

That would be T-minus.  Brought to you by the same people who made Toro.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Are Diamond grinding wheels legal for weaponry?  I'd assume one spinning at a fairly high rate would be sufficient to cut through most of the other bot's armor.  of course, spinning it that fast would be the problem, I suppose.  

I'm taking machine shop and we occasionally are visited by a guy who's building parts for his bot (he's already fought once, with Sallad).  It's cool to see the part's he's making.  His is a middle or lightweight, forget which.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
World_Wolf/Dire_Wolf/Daishi: 3 accounts locked and still going strong!
View Quote

What's next...  Madcat? [;)]

Viper Out
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That would be T-minus.  Brought to you by the same people who made Toro.

Viper Out
View Quote

Thanks Viper, I was trying to find it on the Battlebots website with no luck.  
[url]http://www.battlebots.com/meet_the_robots/meet_robot_specs.asp?id=531[/url]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
World_Wolf/Dire_Wolf/Daishi: 3 accounts locked and still going strong!
View Quote

What's next...  Madcat? [;)]

Viper Out
View Quote

Was thinking about Battlemaster, Jenner IIC or Cauldron-Born. Guess it's obvious how much I'm in to fighting robots.

Are you a Battletech lover, or do you just play the computer games (Mechwarrior)?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

simple wedges are wonderful if the opponent can't right itself. but a wedge alone is not an adequate weapon.
the really interesting part to me is that we're seeing human-assisted evolution here. heritable traits, variability, selection pressure, survival of the fittest.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are you a Battletech lover, or do you just play the computer games (Mechwarrior)?
View Quote

Cauldron-Born?  That's a crazy machine.  Twin PPCs, Twin Large Pulse, and the heat dissipation to handle half of that.  Reminds me of Destroyers in Star Fleet Battles.  I'm a big fan of the Timberwolf, the Summoner (D), and the Black Python (even though its second-line).

Yeah, I'm a Battletech lover... what is now referred to as "Classic Battletech."  I haven't seen what they've done to the new stuff, but I've heard that it will be grossly simplified (no hit locations, etc.)  I've played some of the Mechwarrior games as well, but that came well after my indoctrination into the pencil & paper version.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Cauldron-Born?  That's a crazy machine.  Twin PPCs, Twin Large Pulse, and the heat dissipation to handle half of that.  Reminds me of Destroyers in Star Fleet Battles.  I'm a big fan of the Timberwolf, the Summoner (D), and the Black Python (even though its second-line).

Yeah, I'm a Battletech lover... what is now referred to as "Classic Battletech."  I haven't seen what they've done to the new stuff, but I've heard that it will be grossly simplified (no hit locations, etc.)  I've played some of the Mechwarrior games as well, but that came well after my indoctrination into the pencil & paper version.

Viper Out
View Quote

I'valways liked axeman... too bad he's in none of the computer games. Strictly against other mechs, I prefer the original Awesome... against tanks and infantry, timberwolf/madcat with 2 ppc's and 4 streak srms. For MW3 netplay, nothing beats a direwolf/daishi fitted w/ four gauss rifles (if reloads at MFB is not allowed, I also add a small pulse laser for emergencies).
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd like to see a spinning cone, with retractable spikes all round. Wedge/spinner combo. If flipped, pop the spikes to flip back over.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ziggo!  Spinning death...

Viper Out
View Quote

Absolutely!   That's the best design I've seen yet, fast, powerful and very manuverable.  Has it been beaten yet?

Oh and what's the deal with those knock off robot shows... like the one with the house bots?  They're way beyond the arena bot's capabilities and will come out and just start beating on the contestants, which skewes the results of the actual contestants.  Kinda like Mills Lane ref'ing a title fight and just throwing a suckerpunch whenever he felt like it.  And the announcer guy is an ass.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I remember when heavyweight Vlad the Impaler got shredded by a horizontal spinning blade... can't rember the name of it.
View Quote

That was [url =http://www.battlebots.com/meet_the_robots/meet_robot_specs.asp?id=573] "Mechavore"[/url] - which had a great little gas engine powering that blade. [i]Very[/i] nice bot.

Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Mechavore... that's right. Thanx, CLP.

Imagine if they made an all terrian version of him with the brains of a Predator drone... Not much tactical value to the military, but imagine the damage to morale if you had a bunch of legless viet congs or talibanners... Maybe even smear the blade with feces... [(:)]

Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer the shover robot, cause shoving will protect me.

Actually, spinners are where it is at, unless it sucks enout to let a flipper get under it. Which one had the spinning hammers.  That thing kicked ass.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Wonder how many of us could have one of these bad boys ready in time for the BRC.
Pretty much no rules, except maybe a 100-LB weight limit to stop anyone from building one on a car frame (Like Wilson's monster "Pro-forator" [:D]).?

Or, maybe just RC-10s to keep the cost manageable?

Any interest, or thoughts?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top