Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 3:31:41 AM EDT
Hello. My boys told me I should have introduced myself as my first post. Sorry, didn't know. To the point. Local gas station sells out to foreigners. lots of business due to selling below other stations price. 9/11 and everybody is flying flags, including these guys. No problem till I see the flag in the gutter because it fell off the post it was on. I stopped to get it and got into an argument because I wasn't going to give it back. They promise to secure it better. The flags they flew got tattered to the point they were rags. I considered just taking them but didn't want to put locals on the spot since I know a few of them personally. I stop in and after a long dscussion leave with three tattered 3x5 flags, one was being held onto a post by strips of another flag. Figure it was a done deal since they saw no need to go buy another flag. Yesterday friends of my eldest son try to get a job there, two different boys, two different days. Their answer? "We don't hire you people". I know somebody here will have some good advice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 3:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:00:28 AM EDT
[#2]
sorry, foreigners was a stupid term to use. Yes, I beieve they are from India. No real problem there, and not with low gas price, just that people were still buying gas there driving past tattered flags. I was going to keep the flag because it had been in the gutter for some time and was run over repeatedly. As soon as I pulled up in the driveway and fished it out of traffic, the guy tending pumps was right on me. I find it very hard to believe he didn't know it was there. I also got an argument when asking to take down the tattered flags to be retired. He didn't understand why I wanted to bother. The boys who tried to get jobs there are clean cut, well dressed and polite. I believe the owner meant they don't hire Americans. I was told these guys don't pay taxes and rotate every five years as owner to avoid them. No problem with hard working folks who want to join us and pull their weight as family had to do. Like I said, had to vent. will look into a complaint, and possibly newspaper story but I doubt it will go anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]
First off, EEO/AA laws don't generally get applied to small businesses with fewer than ten employees.  (It varies by state, that's the number in WA, last I heard.)

Second off, why would you want to go after them for their exercising what SHOULD be their rights anyway??

Third off, why would you want your kids taking a job pumping gas?  They should try to get a good job that will teach them something other than how to push a broom.

Fourth off, they should be glad the guy was up-front with them and told them to piss off, rather than hiring them and acting like a dick toward them for the next three months until they quit.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell everyone in the neighborhood. Soon they will have a fraction of the business they did before. I've seen it done... and it works!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top