Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2002 11:22:51 PM EDT
I have a broken tooth and was given Vikadin (spelling?).  It doesnt seem to be working.  I've taken three over the past 12 hours and it just barely takes the edge off the pain.  Has anyone else used this?  Does it work for you?  Basicly feels like I took a couple asprin [:(]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Call your dentist.  There are alternatives to Vicodin.  And there are different strengths.  But you don't want to get a habit, which is easy to do with this stuff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Try 12 every 3 hours!

seriously, if your taking 500's, take 3 every 3-4 hours. if taking 750's, take 2 every 3-4 hours. oh, what the hell, takem every 2 1/2 hours.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Better yet, tell the story of the broken tooth. [BD]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The only drugs stronger than Vicodin(which is really only 5mg of Hydrocodone) are Narcotics known as schedule 2 substances. Schedule 2 pain meds are drugs like morphine, percocet, methadone, dilauded, and an asortment of other extremely addictive meds. Try taking motrin with the Vicodin. That should help.

BTW, Getting Schedule 2 drugs from a doctor is next to impossible!

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Vicodin is a mixture of hydrocodone (narcotic) and acetaminophen (tylenol).  The weakest strength is 5 mg of the hydro and 500 mg of the tylenol.  Do not take too much.  Too much tylenol depletes an enzyme in your liver, and produces a toxic metabolite which after a few days can destroy your liver and leave you in need of a transplant (due to tylenol overdose).  The first thing to try is taking ibuprofen 800 mg every eight hours in addition to the way your vicodin was prescribed (IF you have the 5/500 vicodin, the max dose is 8 in 24 hours).  If this does not work, call your dentist, there is likely an anatomic problem which needs to be addressed, and not just covered with meds.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately there isnt a good story to tell behind the tooth. It all started a few years ago with Chinese food pulling the filling, then a whopper chipping the tooth.  I hate going to the dentist but did a while back.  They wanted to fix the tooth but I kept cancelling the appointment due to other commitments.  Then last night I started feeling a dull ache.  Today I still had the ache and when I leaned over to play with a cable on the back of the computer the pain almost dropped me.  I mean it was bad, never felt anything like it.  I went to the dentist and he gave me drugs and a date for a root canal  I wont be missing this one [:)].  Basicly all my own fault.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 3:08:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm the same way with dentists, I hate to go. I've been needing to get my wisdom teeth pulled, but I won't go. They bleed a lot and about once a year it'll make my whole damn jaw hurt for about a week.

I was taking 3-4 750mg Vicodins every 3-4 hours or so that I had left over from a previous surgery. One or two would do almost nothing, but three or four did the trick. Good thing my mouth quit hurting cause I ended up eating all my left over pills. [:(]

Next time I guess I'll have to go to the dentist.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#9]
If you float those vicadins with about three coronas, or a few shots of rum, they work great!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:06:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to be harsh, BUT ARE YOU GUYS NUTS!!!!

GO TO A DENTIST and get the tooth fixed (and the other guy...get your wisdom teeth yanked, they are probably rotting and abscessing right now which could lead to all sorts of awful problems.

A good dentist won't let you feel much more pain than the initial injections and maybe some jaw ache from holding your jaw open for him or her to work.  You can even limit that by requesting a "bite block" in advance.  The bite block is a piece of dense foam rubber that holds your mouth open so you don't have to.

In the past 18 months I've had two root canals and a crown emplaced, the worst part of any of these operations (and one of the root canals was about as radical as they get) was the initial injection.  Okay, there are other processes that can give you a twinge here or there, but they last only a half second and are gone.

Get over the fear of it and get the teeth fixed.  By the way infections and disease that sets into a tooth WILL spread to nearby teeth if not properly treated, then you are not only looking at extensive detist time to relieve the pain, but also recurrence in other teeth, tooth loss, dental plates or implants, bridgework, etc.  Deal with it early and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
BTW, Getting Schedule 2 drugs from a doctor is next to impossible!

Good luck!!
View Quote

Want'a bet??  Basically my back is at the point where I can get anything I want from m,y Doctor.

I agree with Rainman.  1 ain't gonna cut it, try two or at least mix with wiskey.  Of course WTF do I know?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Watch it with the Vicodin if they are 5/500 take 2 every 4 hrs. If they are 7.5/750 ES take 1 or 2 every 6 hrs. If they are 10/325 take 1 every 6 hrs. You should not take more than 6-8 tabs in a 24hr period. You could mess your liver up. Since this is short-term use I wouldn't worry about addiction or liver dysfunction.

If you are taking for more than 2 weeks be careful. Add booze and you increase liver dysfunction. If you are having that much pain make sure there is nothing else wrong in your mouth or still something with the tooth.

I just had a double root canal and only had pain for 24hrs. The shot in the gum hurt more.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I had some for a broken hand and rib a couple months ago. It's pretty wimpy as far as drugs go. If I'm hurt bad enough to need drugs I want them to knock me on my ass until it's all over, and vicodin ain't that.

Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the reply's.  Just to let you all know the tooth is feeling much better now.  Looks like the stuff is working much better.  Could have something to do with the penicilin to.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top