Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2002 1:44:00 PM EDT
In MA. there has always been a question about whether a person has to retreat even in their own home against criminals.

By Associated Press, 3/19/2002

ARLINGTON - A woman shot a man in the neck after he invaded her home yesterday afternoon, police said.

The suspect, a 23-year-old man, allegedly broke into the home at 2:50 p.m. Police have not identified the man or the woman.

The woman's dog alerted her to the break-in, and the man advanced on the woman, who was armed with a handgun, police said.

The woman warned the man repeatedly to leave her home, and she displayed the gun, police said. The man then advanced on the woman and moved his hand toward his waistband.

The woman fired her gun once, striking the suspect in the neck, police said. The man fled the scene, ran to a relative's home, and called police to report being shot and ask for medical help.

The suspect was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. Hospital officials said he was listed in critical condition last night.

This story ran on page B7 of the Boston Globe on 3/19/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.

The latest in this case is the suspect will be charged and the homeowner won't. I think this state is finally realizing the best way to stop criminals is the armed homeowner.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, that is what we are taught in MA.  It is better to leave ones home and be healthy than to shoot and be charged with murder.  Could be Mattapan, Roxbury or Dorchester.  This man will not be someone who will be missed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In MA. there has always been a question about whether a person has to retreat even in their own home against criminals.
View Quote

About 20 years ago, it was a law. Dukakis
(yeah, the guy with the helmet in the tank)
signed a law requiring that people had to use all means available to retreat and couldn't use lethal force until all other options had been exhausted. The law was repealed a few years later, by King - I think and was replaced with the "Man's home is Castle law", which the press had named it. I can't find exact info on the law, but if I remember right it was something to the affect that if someone breaks into your house, you can assume he is going to do you harm and blow him away. (Although you can't shoot him in the back, or stop him from fleeing once he sees the gun).

Neil
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top