Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2002 7:05:19 AM EDT
Even as a resident of IL you can qualify for a CCW in many other states.  The requirements in FL for example are:
[b]*[/b] You must be a legal U.S. resident.
[b]*[/b] You must be 21 years of age or older.
[b]*[/b] You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm.

How To Apply
Obtain an Application for Concealed Weapon or Firearm License by filling out an online request form for applications or by contacting any of our offices. The application packet includes the form to be filled out, a copy of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes, a fingerprint card, and a return envelope for the completed application.
[b]*[/b]  Read and study the copy of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes.
[b]*[/b]  Have a passport-style, color photograph made.
[b]*[/b]  Get verification of training that satisfies the training requirement.[b][red]*[/red][/b] The application lists acceptable documents. Make a photocopy to send with the application as an original cannot be returned.
[b]*[/b]  Get certified copies of court documents relating to any criminal charges against you.
[b]*[/b]  Take the fingerprint card to a local law enforcement agency and ask to be fingerprinted.
[b]*[/b]  Complete the application. Either print clearly with ink or type the information.
[b]*[/b]  In the presence of a notary, sign Section IV. Affidavit.
[b]*[/b]  Make a cashier's check, certified check, or money order for the license fee payable to the Florida Department of State. This fee is not refundable.
[b]*[/b] Assemble everything:
Envelope
Fee
Photograph
Fingerprint card
Proof of training
Certified court documents (if any)
Application with notarized signature
[b]*[/b] Mail to Florida Department of State, Division of Licensing, P.O. Box 6687, Tallahassee, FL 32314.

[b][red]*[/red][/b]  This can be as simple as an Honorable Discharge from the military, completion of a CMP program or other recognized program like your range.  The list is available free off the FL site[url]http://licgweb.dos.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard this as a recommendation last weekend at the annual meeting of PASA.

The President's quote was "Excercise your rights.  Rights not exercised are the ones more easily taken away"

Another point, the FL CCW is reciprical with many other states & IN may be one of them.

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#2]
does no good in this state.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
So even though I am an IL resident, this card allows me to carry in states where it is recognized?

I thought you had to live in the state that is issuing the CCW.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Non-resident permit...
[url]www.packing.org[/url]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
does no good in this state.
View Quote

I leave IL quite often & many of the surrounding states have reciprical agreements for any holder of the recognized reciprical CCW.

The chances of the State of IL taking us more seriously about CCW here if several thousand IL residents have CCW's in other states increases.

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
What a great deal!  Now you too can be required to have a license to exercise a "right."  It'll be a cold day in hell when I submit to being fingerprinted like a common criminal so I can have their blessing to carry a handgun.  How much is the fee, by the way?  It's $90 in NC, with a $75 renewal.  What a deal!  We pay for our own subjugation.

Y'know, that post sounds an awful like like an advertisement.

Gun owners are the stupidest people on the planet apparently.  "Just do this one little licensing thing and then we will leave you alone and never ask anything more of you."  Has that ever remained true for even a second?  The CCW is an American myth.

Resist--learn martial arts or some other fighting method and tell the control freaks to try and regulate that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought it over and decided to give it a try. I sent in a web form asking for 3 forms, the fingerprint card, the registration card, and the training certificate.

I drive to FL at least once a year. If this will allow me to carry legally in FL, then it is worth it. Doesn't seem like too much of a hassle for added protection.

According to the FL website the CCW license is also recognized by:
Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana    
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Wyoming

However Michigan and New Hampshire will not honor non-resident Florida licenses.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Michigan will honor a non resident Florida now.They werent becase Michigan resident were getting them in Florida to carry at home.It was easier to get because Michigan wasn't a shall issue state like Florida.That was overturned in a Michigan court.I have had my Florida permit for years and carrie in Indiana and Michigan.I believe it was only Michigan residents with Florida permits they weren't honoring and thats why it was overturned.You cannot grat citizens of other state more than your own.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind FL is just one state, you can get non resident CCW in other states and increase the list of reciprical states.  FL just may be the easiest.

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Another point, the FL CCW is reciprical with many other states & IN may be one of them.

View Quote

It is good in TX and AZ
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the pointer Grin_N_Barrett.  I'm considering applying for this permit, because it would allow me to carry in Georgia and Alabama.  Because I live in South Carolina, where the rabid anti-gun state police have 100% control of CCW issuing process, I can't get an in state permit.  South Carolina also doesn't recognize non-resident permits, so I'm screwed at home, but I could at least carry when I have to drive to Atlanta or Dothan, AL about once a month for work.  Is it worth the money to me for the permit?  Probably not, but it would allow me to carry somewhere since I already bought a Kel-Tec, took the class, and have a couple nice holsters.z
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I really should have titled this topic differently since I meant to encourage all residents of non-CCW states in getting a non-resident CCW in another state.

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#14]
AZ offers permits to any US resident. Don't have to live in AZ (although you'll want to if you visit)

AZ currently has reciprocity with TX,UT,AK,AR,and KY.

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#15]
See,  another state to get one in.  Now to find out where their non resident CCW is recognized.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It is good in TX and AZ
View Quote
No sir, FL license is not good in AZ.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
See,  another state to get one in.  Now to find out where their non resident CCW is recognized.
View Quote
Go to [url]www.packing.org[/url].  It has very good info on all states.  It has helped me immensely in the past.  It also has contact info for each state and tells you to verify their database with the state in question before you go.  It lead me down the right path to get my PA license while I was there for 6 months.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#18]
LarryG   How hard was that PA to get & is it good now as a non-resident?

Going to go check info at the link you posted.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top