Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2002 11:57:34 AM EDT
I have reading some post here regarding what some of you consider a Mexican plot to take back some former possesions. Do you guys really believe such tripe? Mexican Americans here do not want to be part of Mexico, despite what some load-mouths may say.
As a Mexican American I am a little annoyed that anyone would think that we haven't already proven our loyalty. We have fought in almost one of this country's war with bravery and pride. Remember that Tejanos also fought by Davy Crockett's side at the Alamo.
Don't listen to M.E.CH.A and other MARXISTS idiots who advocate sessasion.

Link Posted: 3/18/2002 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I love Radio Tejano in San Antonio... does that count?
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to hear it blackrifle51. Actually, one of those guys on the aztlan site also fought in Vietnam. I'm not sure that it "proved his loyalty," at least based on what he writes.

I think that there are probably more people in the US who share those views than in Mexico itself, but I could be wrong. Although the fact that the border states have more of a GNP than all of Mexico, is I'm sure, something that they are more than aware of.

Just out of curiousity... when these "marxists" bring these things up... do other mexican-americans speak out against them? Or perhaps it's so laughable that nobody pays it any mind...
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Just out of curiousity... when these "marxists" bring these things up... do other mexican-americans speak out against them? Or perhaps it's so laughable that nobody pays it any mind...[/quote]

I don't know ANYONE who advocates this stuff. My guess, like the nonsense from the KKK, most people just ignore it.
I live in south Texas, which any Texan can tell you is about 90% Mexican-American. Yet we celebrate the 4th of July, we have old-glory displayed on our cars and homes just like the rest of the country. We live on the border, and we see the differences between US and Mexico first hand. And believe me, we don't want to be part of Mexico.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
while there are always exceptions, the vast majority of hispanics i meet, including mexicans, are here because the "old country" sucks, and they know it. they work hard to buy pickup trucks and homes and to send money to their families so they can escape too.

now that i think about it, the same could be said for my grandparents, though they came from northern and eastern europe.

if you're honest and hardworking and want to become an american, welcome. if you'd rather be mexican/italian/english/etc then stay or go there and dont bother us.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As a Mexican American ...
View Quote

I hate this hyphenated, P.C. crap!!!  You're either a Mexican or an American - make up your fucking mind!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
They are going to take it back the same way we took it from them....move a bunch of people in and then some flash point in the future will make it official...or a big ass war.

why....that would be a race war!  we can't talk about that!
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate this hyphenated, P.C. crap!!!  You're either a Mexican or an American - make up your fucking mind!!!
View Quote

This is worth repeating and I agree.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 2:47:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We have fought in almost one of this country's war with bravery and pride.
View Quote

Really!

R35

Lol, couldnt help myself.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 3:49:10 AM EDT
[#11]
The [i]La Raza[/i] group must be full of those "load mouths" you speak of.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have fought in almost one of this country's war with bravery and pride.
View Quote

Really!

R35

Lol, couldnt help myself.
View Quote

Saw that one too, just didn't get here in time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Interesting that you picked the instance of his use of that phrase that [i]wasn't[/i] hyphenated. [:D]
View Quote

It wasn't hyphenated in this post, but it is the same damn thing! STUPID!!

BTW--I am a Norweigan,Swedish,Brittish,German,Native American-American, but I go by American.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:13:34 AM EDT
[#14]
The problem with their plan is they would have to convince the Mexicans living in the border states that they would be better off living under Mexican rule. Now, that could be a problem since the reason the Mexicans left in the first place was to find work in the US. If things were great in Mexico, they would have stayed.

Another problem is the local White population, which for all the BS you hear, when push comes to shove, Whitey can get as pissed off and violent as anyone else. And they have the money to make things happen.

Far more likely is increased Mexican immigration, along with higher Mexican-American birth rates, will result in a de facto transformation of those areas. Look at LA, San Diego, San Antonio. Mexicans will be the majority within 40-50 years I heard.

Growing up in LA, I knew many, many people that from looking at them, you would swear they were White, but their last names are Spanish (and they ain't from Spain). The blood mixes, people educate themselves, and eventually it's difficult to tell who's who. But all the people I knew were as "white" and American as anyone else.

The problem I see if if we get a very large population of Mexicans unwilling to educate themselves, have a chip on their shoulder like many Blacks do, and refuse to assimilate into American culture. That could be a major problem. In that case, you have a nation within a nation, and nothing good can from that.

The task for us and for our schools is to instill American culture, values, and ideals into every child living hear. We need to teach tolerance, yet we don't want to lose sight of our history and American culture. And as much as some bleeding hearts don't want to admit it, there does exist an American culture and we are all charged with insuring it remains in the forefront of every child's education.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:15:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Are you also going to tell all blacks to refuse to be identified as Black (or African) Americans? People use such phrases because they describe a certain reality.

He's an American WITH a brown skin, and every time some racist SOB sees him, THEY think "Mexican".  No matter how people try to reject the label, the media and other people will hang that label on him no matter whether he's for it or against it.

As for those that are vanilla-colored, and so proud to be "just an American", no-one is calling you Albanian American, or Swedish American or even Italian American. But add a different skin color, and it's a label you can't avoid.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:32:24 AM EDT
[#16]
My statements were not directed at Mexicans, Africans, Swedes, Turks, Israelis, or any other group in particular, I think it is all B.S. Everybody should be hyphenated or nobody, my vote is nobody. If you are a Mexican citizen, regardless of current address, you are a Mexican, the same standard applies to all. Once you become an American citizen, you are an American, embrase it, and be proud. But learn to speak English, to communicate, learn our ways. If I were to decide I wanted to live in Zimbabwe, or France, is their society going to change to suit my convenience, no, so I shouldn't have to accomodate anybody else. There is no way I am going to come off good in this, and I know it, so you will have to take my word that I am far more tolerant than this might appear. Some of my closest friends are of "hyphenated" descent, however I can communicate with them in my native tounge, OR theirs. Rather than lamenting the old ways, or their native ways, they try to conform to American culture, while not abandoning their customs. They have insurance, work hard, and are very pleasant people. I know I have stirred the hornets on this one, so I am now ducking into the fallout shelter, pulling on the nomex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top