Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2002 6:29:34 PM EDT
Gearing up for the 2002 Election season, the DEMOS are rummaging around for some sort of campaign issue with which they can stick it to the GOP.

Here's the latest:

[size=4]Daschle: Senate May Subpoena Ridge[/size=4]

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate is considering subpoenaing homeland security chief Tom Ridge to compel his testimony about President Bush's domestic security spending request, Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle said Sunday.

Daschle said he would like the White House to drop its opposition to Ridge's appearance. A Bush spokesman expressed hope for a ``satisfactory resolution'' that would get lawmakers the necessary information.

``We've got to find a way to break the impasse. He's got to work with us. There is just too much at stake,'' said Daschle, D-S.D. ``Coercion is not ever my first choice.''

A subpoena ``is an option, clearly,'' he said on CBS' ``Face the Nation.'' ``We want to look at all of the options at this point. But we're hoping it is not a necessary one. We are still hoping that they will have a change of heart.''

The Bush administration has said Ridge has privately briefed lawmakers but his refusal to appear before a congressional committee is the usual practice in which the president's immediate staff does not testify to Congress.

The administration wants spending on domestic security to double next year to $38 billion.

``Hopefully we will come to a satisfactory resolution of this issue that allows Congress to receive information they need while allowing the president to receive confidential advice,'' White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

Asked whether that left the door open for Ridge to testify before Congress, he declined to comment.

``It is highly unusual to demand that a person who has no formal office other than as an adviser to the president has to come up and testify to Congress,'' said Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah.

``Once that starts, he will be up there spending all his time on Capitol Hill rather than doing his job,'' he said on CBS' ``Face the Nation.''

But Daschle said Ridge acts with all the rights and privileges of a Cabinet officer and he should come before Congress.

Sen. Don Nickles, the No. 2 Republican leader, accused Democrats of trying to pick a fight over having Ridge testify.

``He's already indicated he's willing to meet with senators,'' Nickles, R-Okla., said on ``Fox News Sunday.'' ``But to have him go before each individual appropriation committee and so on, I think is ridiculous.''

The two top senators on the Senate Appropriations Committee wrote a letter to President Bush on Friday asking to meet to discuss Ridge's refusal to testify. They said Ridge has more power than the ordinary presidential adviser, coordinating spending by more than 80 federal agencies.

Appropriations Chairman Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., went even further, suggesting in an interview Friday that the pace of Congress' work on next year's defense bill might depend, in part, on what Ridge has to say.

On subpoenaing Ridge to testify, Byrd said, ``I hope it never comes to anything like that. I'm not seeking confrontation.''

See article at:[url]http://webcenter.newssearch.netscape.com/aolns_display.adp?key=200203171523000198548_aolns.src[/url]

Eric The(GOP)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The Demos don't have SMACK to run on this year:

The economy is picking up.

The war goes well (so far)

Dubya's numbers are up.

So they have to manufacture SOMETHING to run on.....I predict they will lose big time in 'o2 mid-terms.......

Although in the LONG term this will STILL give us an oppressive over reaching govt' that DOES NOT have your best interests at heart.

Bulldog (The Libertarian) OUT
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Just what we need. Another Government agency without congressional control. I wonder how long it will be before Oliver North is running it. We could sell arms to Argentina(its an out of the way place)to provide cash to get a promise not to terrorize us anymore from Al Qaida and Al Gore.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
A desperately-seeking-Daschle-among-a-sea-of-desperately-seeking-Dimocrats.

Thus far POTUS has remained above the fray and untouchable.

With the media under heat from the "bias" label, things are not quite as easy for Daschle and the Dimocrats.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I've posted it before and I'll post it again...

Its a shame the letters in September didn't make it to their intended recipient.

The Dems are clinging to the hope of stirring up any sort of controversy that can aid their lost party.  They haven't done a damn thing recently, so now they resort to attacking the guy coordinating the country's safety?

If he does testify and hypothetically, there is a terrorist attack due to his deteriorated ability to do his job, I'd like to see a massive, country wide lawsuit against the people who subpoenaed him!  Imagine the country suing the Democraps?  [stick]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
This whole thing about one branch (or department) suing another for information is a very disturbing trend.

I thought there were laws and procedures in place that determined how these branches, agencies and departments interact.  Now it seems every time I turn around someone didn't get the response they expected and goes off whining "I'll just sue you ass to get what I want."

It will be a toss-up who's up against the wall first:  Politicians or Lawyers.  But, since so many of the former are also the latter I guess it will save a few rounds for more deserving souls. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top