Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2010 6:59:44 AM EDT
Thursday I got a root canal and a temporary crown on good ole #7.  Friday morning it popped off while eating oatmeal.  So my doc glued it back on, saying "I'm using the permanent glue, it'll be hell to get off when your permanent crown gets in from the lab, but it should stay on until then."  This glue was the stuff they use the ultra violet light to cure, I believe.

Well it popped off again this morning.  I can stick it back on and walk around looking normal, and pull it out to eat and sleep, but man that's a pain in my ass.  I just sneezed it out of my mouth a minute ago and scrambled around on the ground looking like I'd lost a contact.  I'm afraid I'm going to swallow or lose the thing at this rate.

There are no clearance issues, I can't figure out why it won't stay when glued.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Gorilla Glue!

You won't even need a permanent crown!
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#2]
call your dentist.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

call your dentist. Problem solved.

On Saturday?  

I can't go to the dentist to have this thing glued back on every morning.  Which is the pattern that's beginning to take place.  I don't mind just snapping it on, but I'm worried about the tooth stump beginning to decay between now and when the real crown comes in, if the temp one is just snapped on.  Seems like a great place for bacteria to collect.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

On Saturday?  

I can't go to the dentist to have this thing glued back on every morning.  Which is the pattern that's beginning to take place.  I don't mind just snapping it on, but I'm worried about the tooth stump beginning to decay between now and when the real crown comes in, if the temp one is just snapped on.  Seems like a great place for bacteria to collect.

Call the office.  They should have an after hours/emergency number they will give you.  Probably send you to a different doc. that's open on Sat.  I don't know what else you can do.  Sounds like the temp. crown isn't sized right.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Get it fixed, and get it fixed right. You don't want to mess with the temp to the point the permanent one won't seat right.

Implants are expensive.....trust me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Fire your dentist.  If he can't get a temp crown to work, how badly is he going to fuck up the real one?
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Use a blender to prepare your meals until Monday.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fire your dentist.  If he can't get a temp crown to work, how badly is he going to fuck up the real one?

Exactly....
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 9:08:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Happened at my house last week. Dentist advised Polident. It worked, but keep it with you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#11]
That isn't an error. The temp crown is purposely glued with weak adhesive.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly....

Link Posted: 3/20/2010 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On Saturday?  

That is precisely why you call your dentist on a Saturday.  I'm willing to bet the molar mechanic will bend over backwards to find a workable solution.  Give them a call.

Link Posted: 3/20/2010 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Answering machine, no weekend number.  I left a voicemail.  I'm not concerned with the real crown and whether that will be workable or not, I have one that's a year old now that I've had zero problems with.  I'm also not firing this dentist as he's the first dentist I've ever been to who I'm happy with.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2010 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Is there a Sears Dental near you?  They might take you as a walk-in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Sears Dental...really?

Link Posted: 3/20/2010 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought some stuff at the drugstore one time, I can't remember what it was called but it was a temporary patch to put in if you lost a filling or crown.  It was basically just for use in a situation like yours, to get you by until you can get to the dentist.  I *think* this is what it was:  http://www.amazon.com/Dentemp-O-S-Step-Filling-Material/dp/B000052Y8Z/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_b
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#17]
JB Weld
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#18]
the local CVS/Rite aid/Walgreens etc should have dentemp or temparin MAX in the dental section that should hold it normally till you can get in to see him I have used it and it holds good for atleast a couple of days ––and I chew alot of gum since I quit smoking a few tears back. Keep it with you and if it pops back off you can put it right back on.  I have a permanent that seems to come off every few years this is the fix till I get in to the dentist to have it redone.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top