Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2002 6:37:47 PM EDT
Has anyone else read this book?  I read the book and it gives a pretty good amount of background information about Tim McVeigh and his motivations.  There is also a lot of information about how he made and setup the bomb.  

The most disturbing thing to me is that I have a pretty hard time rationalizing away some of this.  If you demonize Tim McVeigh for intentionally killing civilians, then many of our military actions in the last 50 years look pretty bad too.

What is the difference between blowing up a building to kill federal agents knowing that you are going to kill civilians and dropping a bomb on a military target that you know contains civilians?

Magic
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I read this book and thought it was pretty good. While I dont condone in any way the disgusting act commited by McVeigh, I can actually say I agree with alot of his philosophies and opinions regarding Government.
It also surprised me in that the book was fair and balanced for both McVeigh and the victims of Waco, Ruby Ridge and OKC.
I would reccomend it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
that's simple, it's ok when it's done in the name of national security by the US government but it's not ok for anyone else. It's called the they have more guns and might makes right principal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I avoid anything with a title that includes "American" and then a job (loosely) description after being subject to:

[i]American Ninja
American Ninja II
American Ninja III
American Samurai
American Yakuza
American Kickboxer
American Iron Chef[/i]

Actually, anything with "American" in the title generally sucks with the exceptions [i]American History X[/i] and [i]American Pie[/i] (first one) proving the rule.

In fact, I think that all crappy movies/books should be retroactively prefixed with "American" in order to weed out the truly heinous from good entertainment, so you would easily make wise entertainment choices.  For example:

[i]American Dude Where's My Car?
American Iron Eagle III
American Eddie and the Cruisers
American Ghost Dad
American Highlander II
American Highlander III
American Slackers
American Spice World
American Johnny Be Good[/i]

For variety, "American" can also be put elsewhere in the title.

[i]Stop! Or My American Mom Will Shoot!
The Good American Son
Jaws the American Revenge
Can't Buy Me American Love
Erik the American Viking[/i] (actually, I liked this one, but its still a bad movie)[i]
The American Flinstones in Viva Rock Vegas[/i]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top