Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2002 11:50:01 AM EDT
I have a scoped single shot bolt action .22 rifle.  I have heard that free-floating the barrel increases the potentiol accuracy, is this true?  If so, should I bother with this on a .22 and how do I do it?
Thanks,
Justin out
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
A .22RF does not create the kind of vibes that a center fire has, so there would be little change unless you have either a very thin barrel or a warped stock putting uneven, inconsistent pressure some where.

In general don't free-float a barrel unless it is a heavy barrel. A sporter weight barrel is best with a defined pressure point some near the end of the forend. Even better would be a V-block pressure point.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
The rule of thumb for .22's is that you bed the barrel, not float it. Check out all the custom 10/22's w/heavy bbls and you'll see that they are all bedded.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:15:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:03:17 AM EDT
[#6]
ok so I guess I should change my question to: What is bedding? Is it when the barrel contacts with the stock at all places?  If so how do I do this , also how do I free float the action?
Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok I just measured the barrel if it makes a difference.  The barrel is about 1/2 inch in diameter at the muzzle and is tapered slightly.  The barrel is 22 inches long.  I am using Federal American Eagle Ammo which costs about $20 for 500 rounds up here in Canada.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top