Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2002 9:30:56 AM EDT
and they arrest.....THE DEALER?!?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-000018969mar15.story

March 15, 2002
Dealer Who Sold Guns to Police Is Felony Suspect
Weapons: Figure in a probe of possible illegal buys by L.A. officers already faces charges.
By SCOTT GLOVER and MATT LAIT, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A gun dealing dentist from Burbank who already faces felony weapons
charges stands at the center of an investigation into potentially illegal
purchases of assault weapons by Los Angeles police officers, according to
documents and interviews.

LAPD detectives are investigating "the illegal purchase of at least 20 assault
weapons by LAPD personnel" from dentist Lawrence Wolff, according to
an investigative report from the state Department of Justice. The precise
number of officers whose actions are being investigated is unclear.

Wolff, a licensed dealer of machine guns and assault rifles, was charged last
month in Orange County with a number of weapons violations, including
conspiracy to offer an assault weapon for sale. Charged with Wolff was Los
Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Kresimir Kovac, who was seeking to
become a federally licensed law enforcement gun dealer like Wolff. Both
men have denied any wrongdoing. An attorney for Wolff said that the Los
Angeles Police Department is out to get his client.

The men were charged in Orange County because Kovac lives in Fountain
Valley.

The charges against Wolff and Kovac stem from an undercover operation by the state Department of
Justice in which an informant was recruited to buy illegal assault weapons from Wolff.

As part of a multi-agency probe into Wolff's gun business, agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco
and Firearms in December seized hundreds of documents from Wolff's home detailing sales of assault
rifles to police officers. Wolff lives in Burbank and his dental office is in Encino. Like many gun dealers,
Wolff sells firearms as a sideline business. Some of those documents are suspected of having been
fraudulently prepared by LAPD officers in order to illegally buy assault rifles.

LAPD officials said they have been investigating gun transactions by officers since last June. State law
forbids the sale of assault weapons, but has an exception for any police officer "authorized by his or her
employer to possess or receive the assault weapon."

To meet the requirements of the law, an officer must present a letter on the letterhead of his or her
department giving approval to purchase the weapon. The letter must be signed by a superior.

Any officer who faked a letter to obtain an assault weapon could be guilty of a felony and face LAPD
discipline, according to state laws and Police Department guidelines.

Wolff's attorney, Robert Walters, said his client had no idea that documents offered by LAPD officers
may have been altered.

Walters added that he is suspicious about the timing of the criminal charges against his client, who could
become a witness against any LAPD officer who might have illegally purchased an assault weapon from
him. "They're trying to muddy up my client," Walters said. "The LAPD is trying to make someone else
the bad guy."

According to documents, state investigators enlisted an informant to buy illegal assault rifles from Wolff.
The informant had been arrested for selling illegal handguns during another sting operation.

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
When the informant made contact, Wolff refused to deal with him, officials said. The informant
persisted, phoning Wolff several times to convince Wolff to give him a contact who would sell him an
assault rifle, officials said.

Finally, Wolff told the informant that he knew someone who could do so. That someone, according to
documents, was Kovac.

Prosecutors alleged that Kovac initially made the transaction but then backed out of it after becoming
suspicious of the informant.

Kovac, who has pleaded not guilty, has been relieved of duty without pay pending the outcome of the
investigation, said his lawyer, Melvyn Sacks. Sacks said his client was working for Wolff and was misled
by his boss into believing that the weapons were properly registered and legal.

Kovac, a recent nominee for the Sheriff's Department's Medal of Valor with seven years on the force, is
charged with one count of conspiracy to offer an assault weapon for sale, one count of illegally offering
for sale or selling assault weapons and 18 counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon.

Like Kovac and the officers he sold to, Wolff had ties to law enforcement. Although he lives and works
in Los Angeles County, he has served as a reserve officer for the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
Wolff was dismissed from the department Dec. 11, one day after the raid on his home, said agency
spokesman Jim Amormino. Amormino declined to say what caused his dismissal.

Wolff's reserve position did not allow him to make arrests or carry a gun. He was, however, given a
special reserve badge emblazoned with the county's insignia.

Wolff sat on a panel of volunteers that reviewed the Sheriff's Department's firearms policies and was in
charge of developing a class for the public in gun safety.

Times staff writers Jack Leonard and Beth Shuster contributed to this report.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#2]
LAPD assault weapon purchases probed
Published 3/14/2002 4:46 PM

LOS ANGELES, March 14 (UPI) -- The Los Angeles Police Department confirmed Thursday that a number of its officers as well as officers from other Southern California law enforcement agencies were under investigation for possibly using forged paperwork to purchase assault weapons.

The department said in a statement that it was cooperating with an investigation being conducted by the California Department of Justice that media reports said was aimed at the alleged use of forged documents by officers who bought assault rifles from gun dealers.

"It was determined that police officers from several California law enforcement agencies, including the LAPD, may have possible involvement in the case," the LAPD statement said.

The Los Angeles Times Thursday said the investigation, which also involves the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, had turned up as many as 40 letters provided to a single gun dealer authorizing police officers to buy an assault weapon.

State law used to allow police officers to purchase such weapons provided the officer gave the dealer a written authorization signed by their commander, though the Times said it was not clear if it meant that Police Chief Bernard Parks had to sign the documents or if another ranking officer could sign them.

The law has since been rescinded and assault weapons have been totally banned in California.

The letters in question appeared to have been used during a last-minute rush by officers to buy one of the weapons before the ban took effect.

Investigators told the newspaper that many of the questionable letters had signatures that appeared to be forged or had names of supervisors that were inaccurate.

"If the letters were forged, that's not a good thing," said Lawrence Wolff, an Encino gun dealer whose records were seized in the investigation. "It's like any other forgery. It's pretty rotten."

Forging paperwork could result in a felony charge against the officer.

The LAPD stated that police detectives came upon the questionable documents prior to June 2001 during a routine audit of the sales made by gun dealers in the city. While digging further, the detectives discovered the state's criminal investigation.

Copyright © 2002 United Press International
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#3]
doesn't this just pi$$ you off???
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#4]
this whole thing is horse shit because none of these weapons should be restricted in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I have dealt with Dr. Wolff and he was a good guy to talk to. This is a damn shame. Just showss how ridiculous the laws in Cali are, even the cops don;t agree with them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have dealt with Dr. Wolff and he was a good guy to talk to. This is a damn shame. Just showss how ridiculous the laws in Cali are, even the cops don;t agree with them.
View Quote

And yet, they hand no trouble finding officers willing to arrest the good Dr.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#7]
SOP today.

Victimize the victim, reward the criminals.

Wow, the LAPD guys could [i]"face LAPD
discipline"[/i].  Whatever that means.

The Elites -vs- The Plebes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Well not only will the doctor probably loose his medical license, he will be denied any FFL renewal of any kind and as a result ALL of his 4473s for the past 10 years (and older ones if he didn't destroy them) will be turned over to the ATF.

I personally could NOT care about the officers. They commited a felony. Drug laws aren't popular either but would you support officers who sold drugs on the side? The part the burns my ass is the COPS broke the law and they arrested the dealer.

I'd love to believe this is a situation unique to the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, but in reality this could happen anywhere. In all 50 states post 94 Assault Weapons are ONLY available to LE/Government use. In any of the 50 states officers could have done the same thing to unsuspecting dealers who took the time, trouble, effort and expense to become Certified LE Dealers.

All this because some LE officers felt themselves unique and entitled to more than civilian legal weapons.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you think that "LAPD discipline" is going to be anything like the anus pounding the good DR is going to face in prison?
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
...yet after the government committed countless atrocities in blatant violation of the Constitution, the people passively stood by and watched. Some even cheered...

-page 17 of the "The Kalifornia Archipeligo"
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I know Dr. Wolff and he's a straight up guy. And I know he would not do anything illegal.  I find it hard to believe he would risk his extremely difficult to obtain Class III license just to make a few bucks on an "assault weapon".

Why the $#)*$# is he being prosecuted when the cops who bought the gun faked the letters?  What's he supposed to do, call Dionne Warwick at the Psychic Friend's Hotline to make sure they're real.

He took these dumb#$@# at their word at he gets the short end of the stick.  I bet these #$#)*$ DOJ a$$holes are going after him because he's a Class III dealer.  Can't have regular people possessing automatic weapons you know.

Makes me $#)*$)#$ sick.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a clear indication that even police, police in California, and even police in Los Angeles think the AW ban is a load of crap that should never have happened.

I'd be perfectly happy about it if all involved agencies declined to prosecute and just said 'the heck with it' but obviously that's not the case.

Some of you guys say 'Well, the law's the law and they broke it so they should pay'  but I see it more like this:   It's not a crime to break a law that is itself an invalid law that violates the letter and the intent of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.    I approve of such acts of civil disobedience against laws that are illegal in and of themselves.

That doesn't mean I'd do it myself, though.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
[b]This is a clear indication that even police, police in California, and even police in Los Angeles think the AW ban is a load of crap that should never have happened.[/b]

I can't believe the "brothers in arms" attitude being extended to these LE officers by some of the members here. These POS are NOT your fellow RKBA enthusiast. They felt above the law, after all ONLY THEY were entitled to RESTRICTED WEAPONS. Real "Brother in Arms" officers would have had grandfathered in PREBANS. But rather than go through the proper channels to secure a letterhead that allows them to have MORE RIGHTS THAN YOU, they forged some.

THEY BROKE THE LAW. The same people who would put YOU in jail for less. The same people who might shoot YOU serving a warrant if YOU committed a similar crime. These guys are NOT your brother and they are NOT fellow enthusiasts. They are guys who got around the law they believe applies ONLY TO YOU.

The ONLY "BROTHER IN ARMS" is Dr. Wolff. And some of you have a real "Fuck em' for dealing with the devil" attitude. Larry is a DOCTOR and I guarantee you doesn't need the pitiful income generated by a FFL. Even worse as a LE dealer he probably makes a whole $15.00 on sales of LE rifles. Cops are as cheap/broke as they come. CLEARLY Dr. Wolff only did this as a firearm enthusiast. In that shithole state called the PRK it is the only way to touch some of these guns.

Here is where some of you will say "Move out of that hell hole." Sure, take your successful practice out of the lucrative state of Kali and go to Bumfuck, Tenn. somewhere and try and make ends meet. No offense to Tenn. Anyone who knows anything about doctors knows you don't move a successful practice.

So what are the TRUTHS?

Dr. Wolff is one of US. He got shafted by some crooked cops and it probably ain't over. And the attitudes of "some" gun owners guarantee his demise.

The officers involved are CRIMINALS. They are such complete shitbag criminals they are willing to fuck over anyone to get what they want. Even a doctor in good standing in the community. Luckily these officers can depend on a few of you to see them as PRO GUN HEROS.

And finally, Kali and the DOJ will destroy this man. No matter what truths come out, no matter what evidence is presented, won't even matter if the cops give 100% accurate signed confessions and admit to coersion. Dr. Wolff is toast. His life is for all practical purposes over. The DOJ will target him, and him alone. He may very well be a convicted felon doing hard time in the near future.

The only thing that sickens me more than this situation is "some" of the attitudes here about the situation.

Editted to add, many of the pro LE officers and anti Dr. Wolff comments are on the other thread of the same topic started by HKocher.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I am inferring alot from the above articles,  but it appears that the MAIN accusation against Dr. Wolff is that he MAY have helped facilitate a sale of an CALI defined "assault weapon" by reccomending Kovac to the informant.

[b]The informant MAY have NOT been an LEO[/b]

Since Cali defined AWs are no longer xferable to non LEO/GOV entitys/individuals he MAY be charged w/ conspiracy.  

So it APPEARS the law violated was state law not fed law.

I am sure the ultimate aim of this exercise is to put Dr. Wolff out of the gun business.

I hope he beats the rap, but if him and others like him would not sell these "special" items to "special" people maybe we can convert some to be real "Brothers in Arms"

He probably did the sales and schmoozing to help him get demo letters for the goodies he wanted.

Just my .02

Biggame223 in Az

Out
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Once again, sounds like many lives and careers will be ruined for no good reason.  When is enough, enough
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I bet the police officers get slaps on the wrist and re-assigned. The good doctor will do time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow - is this the same Larry Wolff that posts on HKPRO?

Rocko
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Jury nullification is necessary. We need to get the word out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I have to say it:  I often question the motives of people who choose to become police officers. The job is dangerous and doesn't pay much. That by itself ensures that it isn't a job that draws the cream of society to try to get the job.

I think there are a lot of genuinely good people who chose this career because they want to do some genuine good for the cities and towns they work in, despite the dangers and poor compensation, but I also think that there are a lot of cops out there who are nothing but thugs with badges who are there because it allows them to be a gun-toting bully and kick a few asses.

I have all the respect in the world for the first type, and none at all for the second type.

I believe that our entire law enforcement system needs to be totally overhauled.  Becoming an officer should require a background check of the same magnitude that applies to people who are up for consideration for jobs that require a security clearance (Interviews with neighbors included),  and the candidate should be required to meet a minimum standard for intelligence and his decision making process should be carefully evaluated as well.

Only quality people should be allowed to wear a badge.

And, the pay and benefits should be substantially improved for those who meet the higher standards.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:34:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#22]
cmjohnson,

Backgrounds investigations of that type are already in place, but the consistancy and thoroughness varies from dept. to dept.

As for intelligence standards,  those were challanged unsuccessfully by an applicant in a NE state,  thay said he was TOO SMART for the job and the courts upheld it.

I am gonna research that one and post a link as I it has been awhile and I need a good laugh.

Biggame223

Out

Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have to say it:  I often question the motives of people who choose to become police officers. The job is dangerous and doesn't pay much. That by itself ensures that it isn't a job that draws the cream of society to try to get the job.
View Quote

The starting wage for a police officer over here is about 40k a year and requiring nothing more than a high school diploma.  Being a police officer can be a rewording job, if you go in with the mentality of trying to help other people.  Although that environment can bread corruption and abuses of power, there was a whole chapter about it in my Administrations of Justice class .  
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Federal appeals court affirms the rejection of a police applicant who scored too high on the Wonderlic entry exam.

A Connecticut corrections officer, who is a college graduate, was rejected for police employment because he scored 33 points on the Wonderlic Personnel Test and Scholastic Level Exam, revealing an equivalent IQ of 120-125. 27 others were disqualified for the same reason.

The applicant sued in federal court, and gained national media attention after a CBS 60 Minutes vignette. Last year, the judge dismissed the action because the plaintiff failed to prove he was a member of a protected class or "suspect group." The plaintiff "may have been disqualified unwisely, but he was not denied equal protection."

Moreover, the judge noted that "a body of professional literature concludes that hiring overqualified applicants leads to subsequent job dissatisfaction and turnover." The city used a professionally constructed test and followed the test provider's instructions.

In affirming, a three-judge appellate panel said, "Plaintiff presented some evidence that high scorers do not actually experience more job dissatisfaction, but that evidence does not create a factual issue, because it matters not whether the city's decision was correct so long as it was rational."

The "Fourteenth Amendment gives the federal courts no power to impose upon the States their views of what constitutes wise economic or social policy." Jordan v. City of New London, 2000 U.S. App. Lexis 22195 (1st Cir. 8/23/2000), affirming 1999 U.S.Dist. Lexis 14289, 15 IER Cases (BNA) 919 (D. Conn. 1999). Text: .

» Research Note: A prior law enforcement challenge to the Wonderlic and similar tests was rejected in Reynolds v. Arizona, # 91-16189, 1993 U.S. App. Lexis 9915 (9th Cir.).

Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Jury nullification is necessary. We need to get the word out.
View Quote

Sorry. Last year your kaliban state supreme court ruled that jurors that are found to be using jury nullification- deemed illegal in kalifornia- are subject to dismissal.

Your kaliban state supreme court had also ruled earlier in the year that the 2nd Amendment is NOT an individual right.

How much more will you people take?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry. Last year your kaliban state supreme court ruled that jurors that are found to be using jury nullification- deemed illegal in kalifornia- are subject to dismissal.
View Quote

I guess jury nullification in the present climate has to be exercised in total secrecy, never even hinting as to your reason.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
SOP today.

Victimize the victim, reward the criminals.

Wow, the LAPD guys could [i]"face LAPD
discipline"[/i].  Whatever that means.

The Elites -vs- The Plebes.
View Quote

Wow the LAPD guys "could be guilty of a felony".
Whatever that means.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's the latest info I have right now regarding this mess from a friend with the LAPD.

The officers involved in this mess apparently used the letters not to get the weapons, but to bypass the 10 day waiting period.

As for Dr. Wolff, the charges against him from the so-called "illegal" AW deal will be dropped.  I haven't talked to Dr. Wolff myself, he's probably busy enough right now having to deal with this mess.

Anyway, one final bit of info.  Since the ATF are not pressing charges, all paperwork for the Dr. should be returned, but it appears that the CA DOJ has all of the forms and are holding on to them.  Now their in a tiff with the ATF because the forms they took are ATF forms and therefore Federal records, and the ATF's official position is that CA DOJ has no authority to hold on to the paperwork.  As of right now they are still trying to work this out.

Bottom line, the CA DOJ is playing games and this whole affair might take a year or two to resolve itself.  I'm gonna catch up with a friend from CA DOJ this weekend and see if I could get some more info on this sordid affair.

F$#)#$ing Bill Lockyer.  I hope he catches a nasty incurable disease.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I hope they find the officers guilty of Forgery but not guilty on the violation of the unconstitutional gun laws.

PS..
This is another example of the type of cops you get when you deliberately exclude certain classes of applicants and lower the standards for others.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have to say it:  I often question the motives of people who choose to become police officers. The job is dangerous and doesn't pay much.
View Quote

What you call "dangerous", I call fun and exciting. plus I make over $34.00 an hour.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top