Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2002 12:46:44 PM EDT
Lets say your 18 and you use a firearm in self defense which is justifiable, obviously you can get sued for anything but could they get money out of your parents if you don't have much money? I say no because once your an adult you are on you own what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say no.  If you were within the boundaries of the law, and say, shot someone in self defense, as defined by the law, then there is no civil liability.

M@

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Lets say your 18 and you use a firearm in self defense which is justifiable, obviously you can get sued for anything but could they get money out of your parents if you don't have much money? I say no because once your an adult you are on you own what do you guys think?
View Quote

Been there...done that!
They can't get anything from your parents if you are above the age of 18, unless your parents contributed to the act in some way.

You can be sued for all sorts of things, whether you've been vindicated or not by the criminal system. Things like excessive force, killing rather than wounding or disabling the person. Lawyers are always coming up with new and unique methods of extracting money from people who are not criminally liable. It all comes down to a matter of whether the jury agrees with your justification and level of force.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
So just get your own guns and you will be ok I wouldn't want some scumbag going after my parents stuff that would be bad but I don't have any thing worth money like a house or buiseness.  How about if it was in your parents house with there guns?  also couldn't you counter sue the criminal for emotional damages for making you shoot him?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Now there is an idea sue for emotional damages. It has most likely been tried. I am going to research that and see. I would say your parents couldn’t be sued. Unless it was one of their guns I guess.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was 18 my dad was so paranoid that if I got in a car accident that he would get sued that he wouldn't even let me be on the same policy as him and my mom. He said that as long as I still lived at home it didn't matter that I was over 18 someone, could still sue him for an accident I had. Even after I turned 21 he would still bitch once in a while that he'd get sued if I ever had an accident. I don't know if he was just being a paranoid old man or what.

Now if you use your parents guns to defend yourself then hell yeah they will sue your parents, even if you are 25 or 30. They are gonna sue deep pockets.

Sure you could counter sue but its highly unlikely that the asshole you shot is gonna have a pot to piss in.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah parents are scared of getting sued.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sure you could counter sue but its highly unlikely that the asshole you shot is gonna have a pot to piss in.
View Quote

Countersue the lawyer (is that possible?)
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Countersue the lawyer (is that possible?)
View Quote

No. You can't sue the guy's lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]
There should be a law that says you cannot sue someone for something that happened while you were commiting a felony.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#10]
You're better off burying the body. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top