Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2002 11:59:54 AM EDT
Sorry to jump in with something like this, but I just found out we are going to have to have our oldest dog (14 yrs.) put down. It is the best thing for her, but it still sucks!! I just had to share this with someone, and there ain't many folks in my life right now. Got about an hour left with her so I gotta go for now.

Stephen
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
That certainly sucks.

[img]http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/warcouncil.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got back. The really hard part is seeing the other two right now. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
USP40C,

The decision to put down a family pet is always easier than the act of holding or petting him/her as the vet administers the injection to end the suffering.  

I've had to do it and I know the feeling.  There comes a time when a pet ceases to be just an animal and becomes a part of the family.

The following is a poem that was given to me some time ago. Don't know who the author is, though.

[b]If it should be...[/b]

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.
You will be sad - I understand,
But don't let grief stay your hand,
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love and friendship stands the test.
We've had so many happy years,
What is to come should hold no fears.
Take me where my needs they'll tend,
Only stay with me until the end
And hold me close and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you too will see
It is a kindness that you do for me
Although my tail it's last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.
Don't grieve so that it must be you
Who has decided this thing to do
We've been so close we two these years
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I know the feeling. I've had dogs my whole life. I lost one to a car and one got sick and had to be put down. Each time I swore I'd not have another. Then somebody brought a box of pups to the office or the folks from the shelter set up outside the grocery store.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Had to put down my 13yr. old lab 1 1/2 years ago. Cried for two days. Now I have a beautiful black lab about to turn two. Had to have him sedated last month to fix a bad claw. Almost cried right there but I knew he was coming back up. But that day will come again and so will the pain. I'll probably say no more dogs again, but will renig on that again. They are worth the pain of loss, they make my day brighter. Again there only fault is they don't live long enough.
You'll feel like crap for awhile, but when you see that new puppy climb on you and lick your face, you will know what to do.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to take a moment to thank you guys who posted in response to this. There truely is no joy like that of a good dog, and no sorrow like losing that best friend. We still have 2, although I know that one of them is not far behind her sister. That will be the really hard one, she is mine. L.B. was the family pet, with a big emphasis on mom. I will never decide to give up on dogs, the joy they bring simply outweighs the sadness of them leaving, always too soon. Thank you again for the moments of your time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
we had to do it a few months ago. tattoo was 17. she was in great healt upto 15, then started to slip. it was very sad. i dread the day i have to put my shorthair jaxon down. she is just 2, but someday, well, anyway................
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#10]
My heart goes out to you. I went through this last May with my best friend and companion for 12 years, my chocolate lab Hershey. I had the vet come to the house so he could be at home in the end, he always hated going for a ride, which he knew was to the vet. I held him in my arms as he went to sleep, and I buried him in the yard with all his favorite chew toys. Just have faith and we will all see our friends again when we leave this earth. This helped me through my time of pain, www.hotlabrescue.org/General/Memorial.html
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#11]
[>(]  Very sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#12]
We had to put down one of our German Shepherds a week before Christmas. He was 8Yrs old. He had Degenerative Myelopathy. No matter how old, it is never easy to lose a Dog.

[blue]"If you bury him in this spot,
he will come to you when you call....

over the grim, dim frontiers of death,
and down the well remembered path and
to your side again.

And though you call a dozen living dogs
to heel, they shall not growl at him,
nor resent his coming,
for he is yours and he belongs there.

The best place to bury a Good Dog
is in your Heart."[/blue]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to hear of your loss [b]USP40C[/b]!

Yes, it is never easy to part with a good and faithful friend.

My 13 year old beagle, Scooter, is still in pretty good shape, considering his age.

When his time comes, as all of our times must come, I have already picked out his final resting place.

I have a farm in the Panhandle that was bought by my great, great granddaddy Hun in 1885.

The foundation of the old homestead that he built is still standing, and next to it is a storm cellar that was built in 1943, by my grandfather and dad.

It will be next to this cellar, which already holds a sacred place in my heart, that Scooter will find his final resting place.

And there he will rest until I am able to come and whistle for him, and he, ever obedient to his master, will joyfully bound to my side, as we walk down the familiar dirt roads in search of excitement and game.

That's how my Heaven will be!

And his, as well.

Eric The(Misty-Eyed)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:21:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Check yer mail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top