Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2010 9:32:44 AM EDT
This woman is deranged! Rep. John Conyers wife...

Ex-Detroit Councilwoman Monica Conyers files appeal in wake of prison sentence

By Jonathan Oosting | MLive.com

March 11, 2010, 6:13AM

"I'm not going to be made a scapegoat," Monica Conyers said yesterday –– her voice raised –– as U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn prepared to hand down a 37-month prison sentence for her role in the Synagro bribery scandal.

After months of relative silence following her plea deal, the former Detroit City Councilwoman let fly a string of excuses and requests Wednesday, asking Cohn to set aside her guilty plea and consider her children and aging husband, U.S. Rep. John Conyers.

"I don't feel I should go to jail for something I didn't do," she told Cohn. "And it's been said that you're going to make an example of me, and the news media is pressuring you to put me to jail, and I just don't feel that's appropriate."

She also vowed an appeal, a promise she made good on later in the day.

The Detroit Free Press reports Conyers filed a notice of appeal Wednesday afternoon and was appointed representation by the Federal Defender's Office.  Her attorney, Steve Fishman, told the newspaper he would not represent her in the appeal.

Her appeal is a long shot however, as the plea deal she signed in June indicates that if she receives a sentence of five years or less she "waives any right to appeal her conviction or sentence."

Conyers resigned from the Detroit City Council in June after admitting she accepted cash from Houston-based Synagro Technologies in exchange for her vote on a sludge-hauling contract with the city in 2007.

"I may be guilty of extortion, but I never took a bribe," she told Cohn.

Barring a successful appeal, Conyers is scheduled to report to prison on July 1.

Watch her debate a grade schooler...

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds smart enough to represent the people of Detroit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
She is scum. I can't stand her.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So is her husband.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So is her husband.  

exaclty, they are both crooked as hell.

J-

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I am sure her HUSBAND the Congressman is as pure as can be!!!

never got his hands dirty with bribes or extortion etc or any thing else crooked
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The video of her debating 6th graders on what appropriate behavior for an adult was

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#8]
How is it that someone like this gets put into this kind of position.  She sounds and acts like any other hood rat I've ever run across, so how does she end up where she is?
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#9]
How the fuck do these retards get elected to public office?
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ask BHO.  COC prevents the real answer.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask her husband...

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask her husband...  

translation: The big words make me hurt on top. I aint be liking to read, I just love Obama and will be voting for all his shit. Fuck America and the Constitution. –– end translation

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow she's pretty ghetto and that 8th grader destroyed her.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I am shocked, shocked I tell you!  
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Wow she's pretty ghetto and that 8th grader destroyed her.

If that young lady didn't have to be polite, it would have been a massacre!

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#16]
The people of Detroit deserve these fucks.

They keep voting for them and keeping them in office.

They think a black crook/thug is better then having a white person in office.

The last honest mayor fled after one term.  He just couldnt stand the crap any longer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds smart enough to represent the people of Detroit.

her and sheila jackson lee, two turds in a pod

now she's in jail.

bwahahahah

TXL
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Dumbass waived her right to an appeal.

She should let it go and do her time because if they rescind her appeal waiver, it opens her up to new charges.

What a fucking dumbass POS.

But like I said the more stupid factor in this are the dumbass citizens of Detroit that keep electing these asses.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm sure we're not done with the crooks down there. Kwame resigned as Mayor, is still in court over having to pay his $1 million dollar fine, and may do some more time.
Sam Riddle was Monica's right hand man, he's had one hung jury and is scheduled for retrial sometime or another.
So why is anyone surprised at the corruption? We all know it's the same in every big city, it's just so far the other dem crooks have hidden their tracks a bit better.
I say let loose the FBI through all their personal bank records, let them wiretap their car, phones, blackberries, offices and homes and any other place they want.
We'd run out of dems to run for office if the above happened. No great loss.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Baseball bat to body - repeat until motionless.

just sayin'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top