Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2002 11:10:47 AM EDT
Do you think it's inappropriate for me to wear my knife at work?

It's one of those "tactical openers", and I wear it on a clip on my belt.

I just have a regular office job, as a software engineer at a small startup company in CA.

The actual blade on the knife is 3.5 inches long.    When opened, the entire knife is 8.5" long.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry a Stainless Spyderco Police clipped inside my front pocket.  I work in the satellite industry in a setting close to yours.  Its quite obvious that I have a knife in my pocket.  I also work in a Dept that only two of the people in it dont own guns.  The minority of them also dont have ccw permits.  Anyway, I dont know if I would put it on my belt.  Front pocket for sure.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry a folder in my back pocket at work.  The actual knife is in my pocket, and the clip and tip of the knife stick out.  It's a computer/telephone company, and noone has ever said anything to me about it!  What can they really say though?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Office environment here, mostly computer work, database and website design and manglement, plus hardware maintenance. That, and my little freelance computer ambulance business :)
I've got a Leatherman on my belt at all times, and nobody ever said anything, neither at the office, nor at customer sites.

Does this count as a knife?

[img]http://www.polarcraft.net/leatherman/leath_pst_tiedostot/pst.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I work for CNN and I cary my AR15.com tactical folder with me, clip and end sticking out.  I've used it to gently straighten the pins on broken DB-15 connectors.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope-- perfectly okay in my book-- but check with them.

I know at my work, they do not allow some people to have knives or weapons, but others can... go figure-- its discrimination. I am not allowed to carry one, according to my manager, but I know for a fact that other people carry them since I have seen them...
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in a high tech setting, never without a knife, and I usually carry my Gerber AF Covert. Even though it's the smallest folder I own, I'm sad to say that I'm always embarrased when someone asks to borrow it. I carry in my back pocket and it remains fairly innocuous there, but the 3.5" blade always freaks people out.

Sometimes I carry my SOG PEII. I never let anyone borrow that, most of them would have a stroke when they opened it.

We won't even talk about the SIFU...
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry a Gerber 3 inch folder in my frost pocket, clipped on the edge.  I am a manager at a research firm.  I have never been hassled about it.  I’d say wear it until someone says no.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a computer geek, and there are a couple of guys with folders at work.  Only the clip is exposed.  My old boss has a Gerber/Leatherman tool.  Nobody seems to care much.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The only thing I worry about is someone says they felt intimidated by you and you had a knife.  Especialy if you are a supervisor. Seems like BS but it is a possibility.  There are jackasses everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I work for a church and I always carry my Benchmade mini-AFCK on my waistband (3.25" blade, all black teflon coating and serrations).  The clip sticks out just a little bit under my belt, but everyone here is used to it.  Unless your company has a  clearly stated policy against it, I'd say don't worry (and don't ask permission!  Why give them something to consider?).  Just wear it and forget about it.  Better to ask forgiveness than permission, especially since there is no policy you're aware of to violate.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm surprised anyone has a problem with it anywhere except for buildings with metal detectors.  I was attending a few courses at a community college here awhile back and I carried my Smith & Wesson SWAT with me every day.  It was in my front pocket with the clip and top of the handle sticking out.  I even used it on several occasions to strip wire, never a word from the instructors.  Mostly around here, if you aren't carrying a knife you are looked at funny.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
If I put it in my pocket with the clip on the outside, then wouldn't that be considered a concealed weapon?  That's why I wore it on the outside of my belt buckle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I put it in my pocket with the clip on the outside, then wouldn't that be considered a concealed weapon?  That's why I wore it on the outside of my belt buckle.
View Quote

Usually, no, unless your clothing covers up the rest of the exposed knife.  Besides, most states have a law on the length of a knife that cannot be concealed.  In Louisiana, a knife with a blade over 4" could not be carried concealed.  Here in Nebraska, a knife with a blade over 3.5" cannot be concealed (which is why I carry my mini-AFCK instead of my Axis lock knife w/a  3.9" blade).  IOW, if the blade is under that length you can carry it concealed if you feel like it.  

Check your state and local laws by going to the sherrif's office and asking for a copy of the laws pertaining to carrying a knife.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry my Leatherman "Wave" openly where I teach......a high school.  At first, some of the kids said that isn't fair.  Now, before you start agreeing with them, I am an art teacher, and use the different tools as well as the knives every day in class.  We are a zero tolerance school, but 0 is now going to, "as long as it stays out of sight and is under 3 1/2" in length."  Many students now have permission to carry, because they use them in my class for projects.  Other teachers are also packing leatherman style tools, openly.  The LEO that works at the school, said I always was kind of stupid, "How many times do I have to tell you, don't bring a knife to a gun fight."  There is some very dark humored truth to that statement.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#15]
This is what I carry at my workplace: Leatherman Wave, Geber EZ out, and Kershaw Black Out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I wear a CRKT ApacheII and a Leatherman sideclip.  I'm a Systems Engineer so I need them for opening boxes, unscrewing something, pulling up carpet etc.  

Wore them both today clipped to my jeans and walked right infront of the White House.  Did it without being arrested too. [rolleyes]

I'd say its fine for you to 'open carry' your knife.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry a Leatherman Wave on my belt, and a parent at a school saw me and flipped out. Went to the building principal. Nothing he could do since I am an administrator. Parent went to the School Board. They gave her the "We will talk with him" speech.

We all laughed about it afterwards over a beer.

I hate parents.

Still carry the Wave around. Tough to cut Cat-5 with your teeth.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Office geeks with bladed instruments?

If that isn't a workman's comp claim waiting to be filed, I don't know what is.

[:)]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
We recently had a drug screen at work, and had to empty our pockets. Between 10 employees there were 27 knives, and two  don't carry.[D:]
the joys of working with your hands...fullclip
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#21]
The easiest way to answer this question (without asking your HR rep) is to look at your copy of the documents you signed when you accepted employment.  This will undoubtedly contain any references to weapons not being allowed on the property.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL....ok, i'm a computer geek too...for a SCHOOL.  Nobody ever says anything about my knife, although I got kind of a strange look when I was using my Benchmade AFCK to open boxes with the Superintendent.  It is the one with the pretty green and black aluminum handles though, I call it my PC knife.  (for Public Consumption)..:-)  Wonder if I could carry my 1911 in my pocket with one of those clip draw things and have folks THINK it was a knife?   Hmmmm...

[bounce]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#24]
If someone new at work gets freaked out by my Gerber folder and it's 4" blade, I always offer to show them my pistol. A Keltec P40.

That makes their eyes go wide! I love my job.
[:)]

-elliott
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#25]
As for parents and board members that don't like you carrying a knife in school....let them eat, uhmm cake..lol.  Sorry, but I'm not a student, and zero tolerance sucks anyway, except for total stupidity, too bad zero tolerance laws don't work on that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I carry a CRKT M16 12LE at work....of course I also carry a 40cal.Baretta,ASP baton,OC spray and handcuffs. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I carry a Mini AFCK clipped inside my right front pocket for over 20 years at The State Credit Union where I work. I'm the Data Processing MGR. and open boxes of computer forms all day throughout the building and need it! For a long time I got crazy looks and remarks but now even the boss will ask me if I have my little pocket knive he can borrow to open a package so he won't have to walk around the building to find the correct instrument to do the job. Although now anytime I go into a state office building I have to leave it in the car because they all have metal detectors which won't allow them, period.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#28]
A knife is a necessary tool in so may jobs.  It is a necessary SAFETY DEVICE... don't believe it?  There is one packed in every lifeboat on every ship (along with other stuff).  

A knife is considered a weapon in some states only if the blade is more than X inches.  But, in many of those state, you can carry the knife in a holster on your belt, you just cannot carry it in your pocket (in which case it is a concealed weapon).  This all varies from state to state.

But it is not uncommon where I live to see commercial fishermen with large folders in holsters on their belts.

And any type of technician-- a Leatherman type tool is just that... a TOOL to do YOUR JOB.  

I have told people, when anything was said about my knife... fine, if I can't use the necessary tools for me to do my job, you will have to call someone else... goodbye.  I hope your downtime does not cost you more than a few hundred thousand bucks.  And I start packing.  That usually stops the BS.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I carry a little Swiss Army Knife at my high school.  I use it for miscellaneous purposes and would never consider it a weapon.  I've never gotten any complaints but I have had some dirty looks when I use it to cut something in class!  Up here in Canada schools are not so uptight about knifes as long as it is not longer than about 3 inches.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#30]
It's so sad to live in a time when we need to ASK if it is OK to carry a knive.

Hell I remember when every boy in grade school had a pocketknife on them and nobody said a word!

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I carry my little buddy, an Emerson CQC7, clipped to the inside ofmy right front pants pocket every day-as well as a Spyderco Ladybug on my keychain. No negative comments yet-just co-workers who can't believe I spent $70 on a knife[:D]. Of course, their cheap Chinese POS $3.99 knives are all crap, so I usually end up cutting whatever needs to be cut, boxes, twine, photographic paper(yeah).

No asking permission, of course-why make them think about it, and give them a reason to say no?

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I carry a small butterknife. I never know when I am going to be threatened by hunger pains. Don't laugh!.... I bet I put that sucker to use in spreading the mayo more times than anything you alls carry.
... and the best thing is nobody feels threatened by it.

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I have to add, if it's a folder with a clip, I tend to not use the clip.  Had too many incidents of accidentally bumping it off.  I just keep mine in the pocket.

If I have a sheath, I'll wear that openly.  Drives the liberals bonkers (though that's a short drive)
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I carry a Boker HK folder.

[center][img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40%2Fhecklerkochknife%2Ejpg[/img][/center]

It has a 3.5" blade.  I have had a couple of women make comments that it's a "lethal weapon".  I usually pick up the box cutter sitting on the counter and say "and this isn't?".  No one seriously complains.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top