Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2010 5:04:40 PM EDT
I bought a 4 1/2" angle grinder from harbor freight the other day to do some polishing with.  I'm using gator polishing pads, and a gator backing plate that came with a replacement nut for the threaded head on the angle grinder.  What I didn't realize at the time I was putting the backing plate and polishing pad on is that the holes in the new nut are further apart than the wrench that came with the angle grinder, and the wrench is essentially useless to aid in removal at this point.  It's torqued on there pretty damned tight at this point and I can't get the freakin' thing off.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't you just use a pair of vice grips or a plier?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep,

Put the pad in a vise, push in the lock pin and use the leverage of the grinder body to get it loose.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I once used a couple punches and a crescent wrench when I couldn't find the wrench. One punch in each hole, then the crescent over both punches as close to the nut as possible and turn.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I know you said studs on wrench wouldn't fit but you coul try putting one stud in one hole and letting other stud rest against outside of nut for leverage. this may slip, but it might do the trick.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Drill a new hole in the nut that fits your wrench.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I know you said studs on wrench wouldn't fit but you coul try putting one stud in one hole and letting other stud rest against outside of nut for leverage. this may slip, but it might do the trick.

Yeah, tried that...it's freakin stuck.  It probably heated up a lot due to me using it continuously for too long and might be "glued" on now.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, tried that...it's freakin stuck.  It probably heated up a lot due to me using it continuously for too long and might be "glued" on now.

then my next attempt would be to find way to hold and lock it, so you could use hammer and a (center) punch/chisel
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I'm missing something, but what would I use a center punch for?  I have a vice, put it in there and tried to turn it with a couple objects that would fit in the wrench holes, didn't work well.  

I guess it was on sale for $20 and I could get another one.  
kidding
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Best plan for it here
Quoted:
Yep,

Put the pad in a vise, push in the lock pin and use the leverage of the grinder body to get it loose.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
the punch is to dirct the force into one of the holes to try to knock it loose. gives you a better bite when you hit/tap with hammer.  (screw driver could work just as good.)
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Those things spin at like 8 billion rpm.  I wouldn't go tempting fate by throwing it out of balance.  if I did this, i wouldn't be using the nut again.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Those things spin at like 8 billion rpm.  I wouldn't go tempting fate by throwing it out of balance.  if I did this, i wouldn't be using the nut again.  

Hmm...good point.

Quoted:

Best plan for it here

Quoted:

Yep,

Definitely going to try this....just as soon as I figure out where that lock pin thing is.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never done more then hand tighten anything in an angle grinder and I've never had anything stick in one.  Try the vise idea using the entire grinder as leverage.

Oh.. and look around for a quick nut for the spindle.  I forgot that I always throw away the nut that comes with them and put on a quick nut if it didn't already come with one.  The Metabo's I've been buying all come from the factory with them now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I bought a 4 1/2" angle grinder from harbor freight the other day to do some polishing with.  I'm using gator polishing pads, and a gator backing plate that came with a replacement nut for the threaded head on the angle grinder.  What I didn't realize at the time I was putting the backing plate and polishing pad on is that the holes in the new nut are further apart than the wrench that came with the angle grinder, and the wrench is essentially useless to aid in removal at this point.  It's torqued on there pretty damned tight at this point and I can't get the freakin' thing off.

Thoughts?

I think I found your problem.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those things spin at like 8 billion rpm. I wouldn't go tempting fate by throwing it out of balance. if I did this, i wouldn't be using the nut again.

Meh,the nut is right at the center it's not going to throw it off by that much. If the idea bothers you that much drill 2 equally spaced holes .

Then you have a tool that can take the thing off next time.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm...good point.

Quoted:

Best plan for it here

Quoted:

Yep,

Definitely going to try this....just as soon as I figure out where that lock pin thing is.  

See the yellow button?  Yours should be in a similar location.  you have to push the button, and turn the pad to align the pin.  just push, and turn till it locks in place.  

Since you didn't know it had one, i'm assuming you haven't tried using it
.  just lock it and you can probably turn the pad off just by reefing on it by hand.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#17]
This is what I do when the plunger wont lock the wheel on a 9" grinder.  Take a piece of wood and give it a sharp blow on the wheel in the direction to loosen.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#18]
As a guy who stocks his shop with grinders....If you don't want to buy new....haunt the pawn shops.....look for Metabo, Ridgid, DeWalt....one of the bigger name brands.

I bought a couple from HF.....should have been tipped off when they came with extra brushes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I once used a couple punches and a crescent wrench when I couldn't find the wrench. One punch in each hole, then the crescent over both punches as close to the nut as possible and turn.

This. I used 2 allen wrenches with a screw driver between them after i lost the tool once
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Depress the stop (lock pin) grab the wheel and turn it counter clockwise. I never use wrenches to change grinder wheels just grip and twist. If it has a shield on it your going to have to remove it first in order to get a good grip. Shields are for noobs anyway.

ETA yea see hawken50 above.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Get a new grinder and an adjustable pin wrench.  Use one grinder for grinding and cutting, and the other for polishers, wire brushes, flap wheels, and the like.  Not only will this solve your current problem, it'll save you a lot of trouble having to swap wheels in the middle of something.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Harbor freight sells an adjustable pin wrench for a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm...good point.

Quoted:

Best plan for it here

Quoted:

Yep,

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/IMG_4413.jpg  

See the yellow button?  Yours should be in a similar location.  you have to push the button, and turn the pad to align the pin.  just push, and turn till it locks in place.  

Since you didn't know it had one, i'm assuming you haven't tried using it
.  just lock it and you can probably turn the pad off just by reefing on it by hand.

Some don't have the lock pins. I have an old makita that doesn't have one. I have to use a thin wrench right on the arbor to hold it. That is if I can find it.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#24]
So since the OP hasn't returned I'm just going to assume he fired it through a window and went to sleep.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Nah, I'm still here.  Unfortunately, I got suckered into remoting into work and taking care of more BS.  

Throwing the grinder through the window is still on the table...we'll see what happens when I have more time to mess with it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top