Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 4:07:41 PM EDT
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/

Look at the ring pattern that seems to be forming over the CONUS, but mostly look at all the little shakes in California.

Sure seems like a lot.

ETA:  Well, this will sure fuck up all the land surveys.

Chile earthquake  moved town 10 feet.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=7319954

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
that's pretty normal, I mean don't quakes have to be over 3.0 to even be felt?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF!

I was in OK City yesterday and I could have sworn I felt the truck cab rocking and there was no wind!  Sheesh!  I was in the earthquake in shit-cago last month too!  go figure
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
BRB, I am going to go jump up and down on the NV/CA border.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
WTF!

I was in OK City yesterday and I could have sworn I felt the truck cab rocking and there was no wind!  Sheesh!  I was in the earthquake in shit-cago last month too!  go figure

stop eating the beans, man.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The Pacific rim has been active....Cali is next for the big one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
There's hope for Kalifornia...???

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I dunno.. the way I ken it, lots of little quakes means that the plates are easing past each other, as opposed to building up pressure and force for a big release.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Pacific Rim, "Ring of Fire" has ALWAYS been active, and will always continue to be active.

Our history of witnessed earthquakes is QUITE young.

Our exploration of ancient earthquakes proves that they can be A LOT worse than anything witnessed and recorded.

The Richter Scale goes to "10", but I can guarantee that it is possible to go above that.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno.. the way I ken it, lots of little quakes means that the plates are easing past each other, as opposed to building up pressure and force for a big release.

Absolutely. Better to have a metric shit-ton of fives through sevens, than to have nearly no activity and then a few large ones.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WTF!

So you admit you're toting around a portable Halliburton earthquake machine!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, 4 quakes in California since i posted the thread, one of em a 3.5.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like at least 664 quakes in the last 30 days, and counting:

Recent EQs, USGS

data data data
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF!

Well my truck seems to have a very small fuel capacity given its dual 125 gallon tanks... hmmmm

Seriously though it's quite odd.  It feels like someone is hanging on the side of the cab and trying to bounce it up and down.  My cab has an air suspension under it for those of you that are like huh...

Anyhoo... both quakes occurred while I was laying in the sleeper of the truck.  Both times I was jolted to full wakefulness as the movement I felt usually indicates someone is trying to get into the cab...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard that there is a major fault line under the Mississippi that is due for a major shift and the results would be catastrophic. I can't verify that, someone was talking my ear off about it. Has anyone heard anything similar that can shed some light on it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF!

Well my truck seems to have a very small fuel capacity given its dual 125 gallon tanks... hmmmm

Seriously though it's quite odd.  It feels like someone is hanging on the side of the cab and trying to bounce it up and down.  My cab has an air suspension under it for those of you that are like huh...

Anyhoo... both quakes occurred while I was laying in the sleeper of the truck.  Both times I was jolted to full wakefulness as the movement I felt usually indicates someone is trying to get into the cab...
I am sure it was just a Lot Lizard trolling for business.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I heard that there is a major fault line under the Mississippi that is due for a major shift and the results would be catastrophic. I can't verify that, someone was talking my ear off about it. Has anyone heard anything similar that can shed some light on it?

The New Madrid Seismic Zone.  It is centered near Cap Girardeau, MO.  Last time it had a major shake was in 1814.  It was estimated to be several orders of magnitude worse than the 1906 san fag quake.  If it struck today the predominantly brick cities nearby would be decimated.  Memphis is very close to ground zero.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The New Madrid Seismic Zone.  It is centered near Cap Girardeau, MO.  Last time it had a major shake was in 1814.  It was estimated to be several orders of magnitude worse than the 1906 san fag quake.  If it struck today the predominantly brick cities nearby would be decimated.  Memphis is very close to ground zero.

Not only that but last time she popped  it rattled dishes off the wall in Boston and collapsed buildings as far away as Kentucky. The Soil composition of the eastern U.S. is MUCH differnent then California and much better for transmitting shakes alot further ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NMSZ_Vergleich.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF!

I am sure it was just a Lot Lizard trolling for business.  

Naw... I'm too ugly even for them...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top