Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 1:05:22 PM EDT
I am in the Air Force and i've been trying to PCS to germany and supposidly right now, as a first term airman, my chances may be fairly good. Though there is one problem, i have an AR-15 and was wondering if I would be able to bring that with me? Nobody i know here has any experience with that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If memory serves me right , a ar15 type firearm will be a no go (or extremely expensive).

22s are much easier to get in Germany compared to anything else ,might want to try that route.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you have someone you trust to watch your guns.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to the euro board under HTF's. not as bad as one might think. Suppressors are mandatory in many cases.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Yes, eventually. You cannot PCS with them though.

You have to get a German gun licence FIRST, then can apply to import your stuff from the States.

If you go to a large installation, you can go through the American gunclub, so its not too bad..

Honestly though, its more of a PITA then its worth; Going to a German civilian range is boring. Fixed distance, prone/bench, bullseye targets, etc..

ARs are legal (though you will be exempt anyways).

I was there from 98-07.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes, eventually. You cannot PCS with them though.

You have to get a German gun licence FIRST, then can apply to import your stuff from the States.

If you go to a large installation, you can go through the American gunclub, so its not too bad..

Honestly though, its more of a PITA then its worth; Going to a German civilian range is boring. Fixed distance, prone/bench, bullseye targets, etc..

ARs are legal (though you will be exempt anyways).

I was there from 98-07.

But if you LOVE to shoot, it would be worth it. Make some new friends.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Dunno what the new laws are, but back in the 80's my father's friend was stationed in Germany and bought several handguns he brought back to the US.  He said the gunshops he went to were well stocked.  If you can't bring your AR-15 with you, then look into buying a couple of guns while you're there.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#8]
have fun dont forget to explore europe...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Applying for gun ownership in Germany is ridiculous.

You have to apply for either a hunter's license or a collector's, there are total limits and you have to show that you are qualified to own them, which means 24 or so certified trips to a range.  You have to have a German approved safe for them if you are living off-base.

And there is no-way in hell you will be able to justify shooting a person with with one, short of a gang of Neo-Nazi's burning your children in your oven.

Also if you buy any "Assault-rifles" or such you won't be able to import them when you return.  So if you buy an American Colt AR, you will have to leave it over there.

I left everything I have at home in Montana when I was at Ramstein and just concentrated on buying everything else.  Which I can find more than enough so, I didn't really miss them in the two years I was there.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
When I left Germany in 2006 Army personnel could not have personal firearms.

I doubt anything has changed.  If the regs allow it, it will be up to your chain of command.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I left Germany in 2006 Army personnel could not have personal firearms.

I doubt anything has changed.  If the regs allow it, it will be up to your chain of command.

Army rules don't apply to AF.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
ALL MILITARY are allowed personal firearms; Its just a matter of jumping through the hoops. I was there for 9 years, Army and owned guns.

And you can RE-import your AR. You just have to provide proof that you brought it from the States. There are several different ways, like a sales receipt, Shipping documents, or a US customs form. I took over an AR and M1A, and brought them back with no issues.

I ended up giving up on my last three years; WHen you shoot with the Army, and then go to shoot bullseyes at a fixed distance with a 5rd mag in your pistol, it seems like a waste of .50 cent a round ammo.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top