Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 2:17:44 AM EDT
I'm leaving this here because I'm not sure how many people know this and it's a great way to support the Girl Scouts and brighten the troops' day.  

One of my girlfriends is a troop leader and I bought and plowed through some boxes of cookies last year.  

After rousing from my sugar coma I told her this year I would pay her NOT to give me cookies.  She said that I could buy cookies and they will send them to the troops overseas.  WIN-WIN-WIN!!!!

So if anyone else is wanting to support the Girl Scouts without having to buy bigger pants this is a great option.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:46:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm leaving this here because I'm not sure how many people know this and it's a great way to support the Girl Scouts and brighten the troops' day.  

One of my girlfriends is a troop leader and I bought and plowed through some boxes of cookies last year.  

After rousing from my sugar coma I told her this year I would pay her NOT to give me cookies.  She said that I could buy cookies and they will send them to the troops overseas.  WIN-WIN-WIN!!!!

So if anyone else is wanting to support the Girl Scouts without having to buy bigger pants this is a great option.  

Good idea, and I'm sure the troops love them, but...

Every FOB I visited while I was deployed to Afgh was simply awash in GS cookies.  Soldiers weren't eating them, there were so many.  It got so bad on my FOB, that I ran a humanitarian aid mission to a local Afghan community just to get rid of them.  If I never see another Thin Mint, it'll be too soon.

Thanks for your support of soldiers, whatever you decide to do!

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Boy, you're gonna hate me for this, but too much of the money goes to the cookie manufacturer (30% according to the Natl Organization).  The local troop keeps 12%-17% of the balance, the rest goes to the national troop.

I always write a check to a friend's girl scout troop so they get 100% of my money, then go online and give the same amount to the boy scouts.

Although I DO love me some Thin Mints.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]

That's where my cookie money went this year.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd venture to say that any act of charity has it's drawbacks.  I just focus on the positives.

Thank you for dispersing those cookies to local children.  I don't know a child anywhere that doesn't light up when they get cookies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top