Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2010 12:57:38 AM EDT
SO I was just thinking, let's say shit has hit the fan, only not everyone is dead (let's say just half the nation or something), and things are really bad, BUT law enforcement and the "system" does not fall apart.  Let's also say in this situation there's displaced people across the board.  Reason doesn't matter, fallout, invasion, for some reason there's a lot of good people like you and me that no longer have a home, and can't even return to the area you're from.

Ignoring the simple fact that uh "some" of us are out of weight and just couldn't practically ruck it cross country, what would the legalities of travelling armed with some semblance of law, perhaps martial law in some areas be?  What would likely happen to an individual or small group (3-5) hiking cross country fully armed, rifle, pistol, backpack, etc.  

tl;dr:  Would our arsenals be of any use in a post-apocalyptic world where the police turn militant on the populace to maintain control in a SHTF situation?  Realistically, would we be quickly disarmed or disarmed eventually?  To compare this idea, what would the legality of a homeless man be walking cross country with a loaded rifle and pistol?

Just some random ideas for conversation.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:05:57 AM EDT
[#1]
The police turn militant on the populace, and you want to know if it's "legal" to carry?  I don't think it would matter.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:06:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Assuming the legal systems of the states remain intact, it would depend upon which state you are in.  If martial law, all bets are off––whatever is declared illegal is illegal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
If I had to walk cross-country where I live I would drop dead in about 10 minutes from climbing over fences every 100 feet.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
You'd be summarily shot.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:49:59 AM EDT
[#6]
It is hard to say. IMHO depends on what you mean by battle ready. If you're geared up in Multicam BDUs with chest rig and have an EBR slinged, pistol in drop leg rig, then I think you'll be up shits creek. You probably wouldn't even make it a few miles before LEO or Mil get ya DRT. You would be considered a threat. IMHO you should stay low profile and travel light and stay out of sight. You would most likely want to blend in with the rest of the sheeple. If a group of people who decided to ban together to loot or rob people, the more gear you have may make you a target. If you look like some JAFA most likely you'll be left alone.

IMHO and YMMV. A shopping cart full of trash and dressing like a bum may be the best way to go. You can hide your firearms and ammo under all the trash and you'll most likely fly under the radar of the mobs and thugs out looting from the people trying to evacuate the area.

In any post Katrina type SHTF or other event that goes 3WSH ( 3rd world shit hole ) You can almost bet that firearms will be taken away from the civilians, regardless of any laws that say they will not.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:50:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I would go back to mommy's basement and continue watching Hogan's Heroes reruns while dreaming up other nihilistic fantasies.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The police turn militant on the populace, and you want to know if it's "legal" to carry?  I don't think it would matter.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:20:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would go back to mommy's basement and continue watching Hogan's Heroes reruns while dreaming up other nihilistic fantasies.

Never go full retard.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:24:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ignoring the simple fact that uh "some" of us are out of weight and just couldn't practically ruck it cross country, what would the legalities of travelling armed with some semblance of law, perhaps martial law in some areas be?  What would likely happen to an individual or small group (3-5) hiking cross country fully armed, rifle, pistol, backpack, etc.  

tl;dr:  Would our arsenals be of any use in a post-apocalyptic world where the police turn militant on the populace to maintain control in a SHTF situation?  Realistically, would we be quickly disarmed or disarmed eventually?  To compare this idea, what would the legality of a homeless man be walking cross country with a loaded rifle and pistol?

Your best bet would be to keep a low profile at all times, whether there was still a semblance of order or not.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:27:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Trench coat. Preferably a dirty one so you look like a bum like stonerriflefan said.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Take to the sea and become a pirate.

As long as I chose a boat that could make it into International waters faster than they could I would be all set except for periodic plundering and pillaging raids.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take to the sea and become a pirate.

As long as I chose a boat that could make it into International waters faster than they could I would be all set except for periodic plundering and pillaging raids.

Sea seems like a BAD idea.  I mean if you can't get the technological equipment together to travel in a car, how are you going to keep a boat seaworthy and active?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top