Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 6:46:45 PM EDT
I have a TA01-NSN on top of my AR, and I was testing the BAC with it. Obviously, the reticle only lights up at night, so during the day, what I would see was almost like an EOTech or an AIMpoint showing a black crosshair, like the crosshair would overlay what I was looking at. It reminded me of having both eyes open for an RDS/holosight.

Now, my question is, if I have an ACOG that illuminates during the day, like a TA-31F, and I use the BAC (provided I "train" my eye(s) for it), will the ACOG reticle behave like an RDS/holosight if I'm always shooting with both eyes open?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Short answer..yes
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty much what the BAC is.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I wanted to make sure I understood it right. Holosight vs. ACOG debates always end up in a stalemate in my mind, so if I can use an ACOG for both, I'm down with that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the TA01 wasnt a BAC optic...
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's all I got, so I tested it out while it was light out with the crosshairs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I couldn't do it without a fiber optic reticle.  I have a TA11, and I have to use a lens cap in order to do it.  If the lens is uncapped, I subconsciously focus on the magnified image rather than the donut.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
The TA01 is not a BAC optic.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay, I wanted to make sure I understood it right. Holosight vs. ACOG debates always end up in a stalemate in my mind, so if I can use an ACOG for both, I'm down with that.

The 1:1 red dot is still going to be faster and better suited for close in type stuff.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's not.  TA31F is.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 1:1 red dot is still going to be faster and better suited for close in type stuff.

I agree, but I don't think anyone is arguing it is.  It's simply a way to engage short range targets the fastest and most accurate way you can using your medium range optic.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but I don't think anyone is arguing it is.  It's simply a way to engage short range targets the fastest and most accurate way you can using your medium range optic.  

Throw a Trijicon or Dr Optic micro optic on the top of that magnified scope and you have a winning combo.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been thinking about doing just that I'm just worried about their durability, and I'm not dropping the money for an H1 on a Larue offset mount for what amounts to a backup sight.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Throw a Trijicon or Dr Optic micro optic on the top of that magnified scope and you have a winning combo.

I already have my one AR set up like that, with the Doc sight on a 45 mount so I can keep my cheek weld:

(The dot isn't off center, it's just the angle I took the picture at)

This BAC question was an effort at solving a "one or the other" type of choice for future builds.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#14]
^^What he said.  Putting the red dot on top of the acog requires you to raise your head or cheek weld, which you don't want to do.  With the optic at the 1 or 1:30 you simply turn the rifle slightly and your eye can rotate from acog to red dot with the least amount of effort and head movement.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#15]
What caps are those bob?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#16]
BTT for further input.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I love that setup!

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I like ACOGs, but I can't get BAC to work reliable for me under stress.  I just have to put up with slower times on target at closer ranges.  That's why for my go-to guns I use a T-1, and if I need maginification, I use a 3X Aimpoint magnifier.  

I'm still working with the ACOG though... maybe BAC will "click" at some point.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got a PA T-1 on my A4 as well:

Quoted:

^^What he said.  Putting the red dot on top of the acog requires you to raise your head or cheek weld, which you don't want to do.  With the optic at the 1 or 1:30 you simply turn the rifle slightly and your eye can rotate from acog to red dot with the least amount of effort and head movement.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/bobweaver/Bushy004.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/bobweaver/trijiconar15030.jpg

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay,
I wanted to make sure I understood it right. Holosight vs. ACOG debates
always end up in a stalemate in my mind, so if I can use an ACOG for
both, I'm down with that.

I
agree, but I don't think anyone is arguing it is. It's simply a way to
engage short range targets the fastest and most accurate way you can
using your medium range optic.

I already have my one AR set up like that, with the Doc sight on a 45 mount so I can keep my cheek weld:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/SnakeMGS4/M4c3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/SnakeMGS4/M4c2.jpg

(The dot isn't off center, it's just the angle I took the picture at)

This BAC question was an effort at solving a "one or the other" type of choice for future builds.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top