Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2002 5:49:51 AM EDT
I've got an osteochondroma (osteocartilaginous exostosis) in my left femur, near the knee that I may have removed by surgery.  Since this qualifies as "Bone or joint surgery", the USMC recruitment manual says it "may be permanently disqualifying".

Can anyone give me an idea of if I will be disqualified or not?  This condition is common, and the surgery shouldn't impair me in any way.  Assuming WW3 doesn't start any time soon, I won't be enlisting until several years after my surgery, so I will be completely healed.

If I don't get the surgery, I'll probably develop bursitis, and lose mobility in my left knee, which is [b]always[/b] disqualifying.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
::bump::

(1 of 1)
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I am sure thr Canadian Army has lower standards than the US.  you should have no problem.

[:o)]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#4]
First of all, I'd never join the Canadian Armed Forces.  The individual soldiers are fine men, but the organization and leadership is one enormous cockup.

Second of all, I don't think I could ever meet the weight requirements of the Canadian Forces, due to my body structure.  Max weight for the USMC for my height is 215lbs, and for the Canadian Armed Forces, it's 170lbs.  I'm currently 202lbs, and at 170, I'd be a dead ringer for a bulemic ethopean.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#5]
There is no way to tell what will happen until you go down and have the MEPS doctors look at you. If they say no then you can ask for a waiver and have your doctor give you an evaluation of what he thinks of your status and if you would be ok to serve in the military.
GOOD LUCK AND SEMPER FI FUTURE DEVIL DOG.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top