Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2010 11:58:27 AM EDT
ford

if i have a friend in europe buy the vehicle and ship the damn thing to the usa is it legal to register and drive?

not saying this is what i want, but being that my vehicle has a 3.8li supercharged engine and it has better fuel economy (32-34MPH highway) than a good amount of compact cars out there i cant justify buying a car that gets less MPG for a commuter car...(no fun...)
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
ford

if i have a friend in europe buy the vehicle and ship the damn thing to the usa is it legal to register and drive?

not saying this is what i want, but being that my vehicle has a 3.8li supercharged engine and it has better fuel economy (32-34MPH highway) than a good amount of compact cars out there i cant justify buying a car that gets less MPG for a commuter car...(no fun...)

Most cars that are not sold/marketed in the US are not legal to import and/or register in the US. That is why you don't see a 76 MPG offering from Ford at your local dealership.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It's okay as long as you apply ALL the emissions and safety features required by the U.S. for imported vehicles.  Once you've done this, your awsome gas milage will go down and your wallet will be much lighter.

A friend of mines uncle was a VP of Mercedes some years ago (since retired).  He was given a new car every few years.  My buddy was going to purchase one of the uncles 'used' cars from him and have it shipped here.  However, when he found out the cost for all the stuff that needed to be re-worked (added/changed) and the shipping, he gave up.

We have the tree huggers damning car manufacturers for not making fuel efficient cars, which are already available in most parts of the world, because of the emissions crap they have to add to them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
REMEMBER... a gallon in the UK is bigger than a gallon in the US.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Fail.

1 gallon (U.S.) 231 cubic inches = 3.785 liters = 0.833 British gallon

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail.

Er?  He stated that a UK gallon is bigger than a US gallon.  Which is true.  

Oh crap.

I like my crow best served hot and BBQed, please!

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail.

LOL....oops
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail.

Er?  He stated that a UK gallon is bigger than a US gallon.  Which is true.  

AND he even should it in his equation.

lol
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Could someone explain to me why they don't drop an engine like that 1.6L diesel into vehicles here in the US?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Could someone explain to me why they don't drop an engine like that 1.6L diesel into vehicles here in the US?

Because it runs on the fuel of satan.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most cars that are not sold/marketed in the US are not legal to import and/or register in the US. That is why you don't see a 76 MPG offering from Ford at your local dealership.

WHY?

Not sure if serious.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's okay as long as you apply ALL the emissions and safety features required by the U.S. for imported vehicles.  Once you've done this, your awsome gas milage will go down and your wallet will be much lighter.

A friend of mines uncle was a VP of Mercedes some years ago (since retired).  He was given a new car every few years.  My buddy was going to purchase one of the uncles 'used' cars from him and have it shipped here.  However, when he found out the cost for all the stuff that needed to be re-worked (added/changed) and the shipping, he gave up.

We have the tree huggers damning car manufacturers for not making fuel efficient cars, which are already available in most parts of the world, because of the emissions crap they have to add to them.

Yes, because there ar no emmissions standards in Europe.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHY?

FMVSS, EPA

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I can get 70 miles to the gallon on this hog.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I got 60 MPH in my Geo Metro in 1995.

I fucking hate the EPA and the NHTSA.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHY?

FMVSS, EPA

So these cars are safe enough for Europe and get 76mpg, but they aren't safe in the US and are too dirty?

Got it.

You got it.  Mostly the latter (EPA) since particulate emissions have been called the worst by the "air lobbies".  Only the interstate cargo hauler lobbies have more power.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHY?

EPA/Safety bullshit.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your answer wins you 9000 internets.

America will never embrace the diesel. I'd own a rattle motor in everything I had given the chance.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

America will never embrace the diesel. I'd own a rattle motor in everything I had given the chance.

Where does this stigma come from?  At what point in our history did we say "ewww, diesel is nasty"?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#23]
It's compression not combustion.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

the wizzards of smart think nobody willl buy a diesel in the us - I seem to rember some diesel rangers that got silly good milage - in places like south africa
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

WHY?

Diesel emission laws iirc
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#26]
The top 3 issues are weight, speed and comfort.  The econo cars are lighter because there are less safety requirements overseas.  Also those diesels are slooooowwwww.  Maybe producing 75 hp or so.  Americans would not put up with that low of power.  Finally comfort.  Many cars to save weight and increase mpg, skimp on comfort features that add weight such as, power locks, windows, floor carpeting, sunroofs, leather interior, power seats, safety glass yada yada yada...  

A second close reason we don't import cars that get great mileage is Evil Dick Cheney and his ties to Halliburton and their "No Bid" contracts.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I believe a automobile has to be 25 years old to import.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHY?

FMVSS, EPA

So these cars are safe enough for Europe and get 76mpg, but they aren't safe in the US and are too dirty?

Got it.

Funny, Europe awitched to ULSD before the US, and has stricter pollution standards for diesels.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What does the compression cause?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHY?

FMVSS, EPA

Got it.

You got it.  Mostly the latter (EPA) since particulate emissions have been called the worst by the "air lobbies".  Only the interstate cargo hauler lobbies have more power.  

And the sniffers they used to check the air quality at the sides of the highways were mounted close to the surface...It wasnt so much diesel combustion particles they were detecting, but rather particles of carbon from the rubber tires from, all the trucks and cars...If that had been taken into consideration we'd probably be driving oil burners...

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So we have clean-air lobbies lobbying AGAINST more fuel efficient vehicles? Jeez....

No, just diesels.  And it is bull because most particulate emissions settle out rapidly because of electrostatic charge.  The majority of the particulate emissions are from tire/road wear, not exhaust.  This is part of the "road film" which causes traction issues when rain starts.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, they have emissions standards there, they just aren't the same as ours.

Had a friend spend the money to have a MB "Americanized" Had to change the glass, lights, and I forget what all else (this was ~30 years ago) to get the car here. For him, the cost was inconsequential, for someone like us, not so much so.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ignition

I was always told gas engine was combustion and diesel was compression but if I am wrong go easy, I'm from California.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The top 3 issues are weight, speed and comfort.  The econo cars are lighter because there are less safety requirements overseas.  Also those diesels are slooooowwwww.  Maybe producing 75 hp or so.  Americans would not put up with that low of power.  Finally comfort.  Many cars to save weight and increase mpg, skimp on comfort features that add weight such as, power locks, windows, floor carpeting, sunroofs, leather interior, power seats, safety glass yada yada yada...  

A second close reason we don't import cars that get great mileage is Evil Dick Cheney and his ties to Halliburton and their "No Bid" contracts.

Wrong. And wrong. And wrong.

Most even 1.6L diesel cars have more torque than most US consumer autos. The torque is higher, the acceleration is faster, and the top speed is the same. The HP measurement may be true, but it is a completely misleading number. You do realize that any vehicle that requires significant power IS a diesel engine vehicle, right?

The comfort argument is just silly and wrong. Yeah, those damn european cars, what uncomfortable cobbled together pieces of crap. Buy a GM instead!

In fact, your whole post is so ridiculous that I now feel I have wasted my time by replying to it. Good day sir.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So we have clean-air lobbies lobbying AGAINST more fuel efficient vehicles? Jeez....

Follow the money.

You're a lobbyist/policy group with ZERO equity or interest in technology.  The existence or emergence of more efficient vehicles won't make you a single dime.  Your paycheck comes from donations from hippies, carbon credit scemes or other scams, taxpayer dollars for "research" and perhaps a few individual philanthropists.

If the most cutting-edge, efficient technology is available and under continuous improvement at the maximum possible rate that industry can sustain...  do you even have a job?

The "problem" needs to exist in order for the eco-nazis to get paid.  Therefore, it is in the eco-nazis best interest to ensure that the "problem" continues.

See also: racism, the war on drugs, the two party system, et al.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where does this stigma come from?  At what point in our history did we say "ewww, diesel is nasty"?

Wish that I could answer that for you (remember, I'm a diesel fan) but Government Motors didn't help the issue with their converted gas 350 engines.

Had a buddy that hot rodded the diesel VW Rabbits with great sucess. We used to have a ball riding around in one of his sleepers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Oh, they have emissions standards there, they just aren't the same as ours.

Had a friend spend the money to have a MB "Americanized" Had to change the glass, lights, and I forget what all else (this was ~30 years ago) to get the car here. For him, the cost was inconsequential, for someone like us, not so much so.

The difference isn't that they don't have emisions standards, they have different emissions standards.

Yes, Euro-headlights have different specs, and probably a bunch of other things.

Just like if I get a car from the UK the rascals put the steering wheel on the wrong side.

The 76 mpg car lists as having a particulate filter, so it seems they have the same onerous standards we do.

I think the bigger issue is European govenrments see the diesel as more efficient, the US sees it as a smelly noisey undesirable thing. They regulate accordingly.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a 23mpg lifetime average in my 3/4 ton Diesel Truck.

Diesel has a stigma here in the states. But with a little more work and money I could easily be getting over 30mpg in a full sized pick up and it would actually have MORE power than stock.

/shrug

75mpg... man my wallet would love me!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Compression ignition.  What do you think happens to the air/fuel mixture when you compress it?

IT COMBUSTS.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, just diesels.  And it is bull because most particulate emissions settle out rapidly because of electrostatic charge.  The majority of the particulate emissions are from tire/road wear, not exhaust.  This is part of the "road film" which causes traction issues when rain starts.

I'm speechless...

You are speechless that government bureaucrats made idiotic choices?

Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The EPA won't allow them here.   They aren't "clean" enough.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignition

I was always told gas engine was combustion and diesel was compression but if I am wrong go easy, I'm from California.

Definitions are a little off but you're not entirely wrong.

Combustion is the rapid oxidation of a substance accompanied by the release of energy as heat; usually it carries the connotation that atmospheric air is used as an oxygen source.

Compression (in this case, adiabatic) is the increase of internal energy of a working fluid by means of a reduction in volume.

Both engine types utilize both compression and combustion in their respective cycles.  The main difference is in the means of ignition (and the subsequent expansion of the working fluid).

A gasoline engine compresses a fuel-air mixture (thus increasing its internal energy) without exceeding its autoignition point.  A spark is then delivered to ignite the fuel.  The energy in this spark pushes part of the fluid over the threshold of initial energy required for the reaction.  The fuel then burns, releasing energy as heat, which is then transferred to rotary motion by the other parts of the engine.

A diesel engine compresses atmospheric air only (increasing its internal energy) to a point that exceeds the autoignition conditions of a fuel-air mixture.  Fuel is then injected into the compressed air, mixes with it, and ignites without the need for any additional initial energy.  As before, the expansion of the working fluid is transmitted to rotary motion by the parts of the engine.

A better set of terms to use would be spark-ignition versus compression-ignition.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their standards are significantly different.   They don't force urea injection and particulate traps on small diesels.   The US does.   If you can find a place to put a two gallon urea tank on a subcompact car along with a particulate trap that runs at 900F and takes up 8 liters of space be my guest.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Their standards are significantly different.   They don't force urea injection and particulate traps on small diesels.   The US does.   If you can find a place to put a two gallon urea tank on a subcompact car along with a particulate trap that runs at 900F and takes up 8 liters of space be my guest.

Yeah they do. Look at the link, the 1.6 has a DPF on it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHY?

FMVSS, EPA

Got it.

Funny, Europe awitched to ULSD before the US, and has stricter pollution standards for diesels.

They don't actually have stricter standards - they switched fuels for the catalyst.   The particulate traps and urea injection we mandate are in addition to that.    Of course, the difference is like dividing nothing by zero but that's not enough for the EPA and CARB.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong. And wrong. And wrong.

Most even 1.6L diesel cars have more torque than most US consumer autos. The torque is higher, the acceleration is faster, and the top speed is the same. The HP measurement may be true, but it is a completely misleading number. You do realize that any vehicle that requires significant power IS a diesel engine vehicle, right?

The comfort argument is just silly and wrong. Yeah, those damn european cars, what uncomfortable cobbled together pieces of crap. Buy a GM instead!

In fact, your whole post is so ridiculous that I now feel I have wasted my time by replying to it. Good day sir.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#48]
65 mpg, with 90 hp and 155 ft lbs torque per wiki.

0-60 in 9.7.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Diesel Electric Conversions

Here are your slow diesels, with poor performance...

Baseline 500 HP, with options up to 800HP, mileage increases around 50% or more...

And he accomplishes all this with stuff that is more or less off the shelf GM parts.

Disgusting that :

1.) GM isnt building and selling these
2.) The govt doesnt do everything in its power in terms of repealing laws/ regulations to make sure these cars get to market.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Fuel economy is way overrated.

What you really need is more money.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top