BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2002 5:04:06 AM EDT
[url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=26816[/url]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm just guessing...

....but I'd say that he's probably a crappy soldier, WHO DOESN'T FOLLOW THE CHAIN OF COMMAND, and stabs his Commanding Officers in the back by leaping the chain, and then even going to the press, rather than through the proper channels.

Maybe THAT'S why his superiors have been unresponsive to his requests.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Major Murphy, Once again you prove yourself to be [b]wrong[/b]!  There is [b]NO language school[/b] at Ft. Huachuca!  This SOB probably can't even qualify for the needed clearance!

Thought you would know better than that!!!

DaMan
------------------------------------------------
WAR ON TERROR
Army Arabic linguist
stuck in postal job
Management rejects interpreter's request to help with intelligence

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: March 15, 2002
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Jon Dougherty
© 2002 WorldNetDaily.com

An Army linguist who claims he's fluent in Egyptian Arabic says he can't get reassigned to help interpret documents and other information gathered in the war against terror because the Army's "antiquated" personnel management system is keeping him in a postal delivery slot.

Shortly after Congress and the Bush administration began the war on terror – in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks – the Navy and Air Force issued instructions to each command "that all linguist-qualified members should contact certain offices to notify them of their existence and to prepare for deployment if needed," the soldier, who requested anonymity, told WorldNetDaily.

His current duty station also could not be revealed for fear of reprisal, he said.

Besides being a professional soldier, the linguist said, he is "a professional interrogator/debriefer and fluent in Egyptian Arabic, Croatian and Spanish." He said he holds a degree in modern languages and studied at the American University in Cairo, Egypt, for a year.

"You would probably think that with these qualifications – and the shortage of qualified military linguists – that I am busy occupied in the war on terror, maybe in Afghanistan or in Guantanamo Bay [Cuba]," the latter where scores of al-Qaida and Taliban fighters are currently imprisoned and awaiting debriefing and interrogation, he said. "But no. I am [here] instead, working for the Defense Courier Service – in essence delivering official mail.".

The military's problem has at least partially been blamed on a chronic lack of funds, WorldNetDaily reported Saturday.

As early as January, sources told WND the Army's counterintelligence and [b]language school[/b] at Fort Huachuca, Ariz., was set to cut salaries of language school contractors, a move that risked the loss of nearly 50 percent of the school's instructors.

DaMan
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice editing job, DaMan; I was about to refer you to a recent thread. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=100832[/url]

[;)]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice editing job, DaMan; I was about to refer you to a recent thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=100832
[;)]
View Quote

What's your point, renamed?  My FACTS incorrect??!!!

DaMan
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice editing job, DaMan; I was about to refer you to a recent thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=100832
[;)]
View Quote

What's your point, renamed?  My facts incorrect??!!!

DaMan
View Quote

My point is that a day after you complained about someone violating Rule 7, you violated it yourself.  

By the way, what does the absence of a language school at Ft. Huachuca have to do with Cincinnatus' post?  His point was that any fault for the situation described in the story probably lay with the soldier, not the Army.  How does that differ from what you posted?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello everyone,
This is my first post:
I graduated from the year-long Korean Course at the Defense Language Institute, Monterey, CA in '92 and the four month CI Special Agent's Course at Huachuca in '92. I can tell you that the post-Desert Storm Army had Arab linguists coming out of their ears. Who knows, guy probably has pissed off a few people and got stuck in his current position. The Defense Courier Service requires a TS clearance in most jobs so he probably isn't an active security risk (although I just know his 201 file and his Defense Security Service investigative file have been passed around due to his travel and associations). He just might be one of the hyper-educated people no one can stand and got the shaft. Very unprofessional going to the media. That's a no-go.
And although Huachuca has many linguist duty positions, I don't believe it has anything more than refresher training.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
By the way, what does the absence of a language school at Ft. Huachuca have to do with Cincinnatus' post?
View Quote

It only shows he responds to BS articles he knows nothing about!

DaMan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top