Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2010 5:05:35 AM EDT
Check out this webpage:

http://www.afn.org/~guns/ayoob.html

Found the link on a blog I read, thought it was interesting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Ole Harry was a great guy and quite the character.  Last time I was up there the bullet holes were still in the front of the building, they gave it character too.

RIP Harry Beckwith.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In the second shootout, the gun dealer interrupted a felon about to drive off with guns he'd heisted from the store. Though not a Class III weapons dealer, Beckwith was federally licensed to possess such arms for his own use. When the thug raised a .45 auto pistol at Harry, Beckwith trumped his ace with a burst of full automatic fire from a Smith & Wesson Model 76 9mm submachine gun. Struck in the forehead, the gunman dropped his pistol and screamed, "I'm hit!"

"Get out of the car," Beckwith roared back. The man did, and realizing he was still alive despite a gunshot wound in the forehead, he ran. Once more, Beckwith held fire.

The man was captured later and treated for an ugly but minor head injury from a flattened- out 9mm hollowpoint round that had lost most of it's energy piercing the safety glass of the windshield.

never expect a round to perform.

murphy saved this idiots life.

great post
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

snip...

I agree, and the mental image of the criminal screaming "I'm hit" makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ole Harry was a great guy and quite the character.  Last time I was up there the bullet holes were still in the front of the building, they gave it character too.

http://i47.tinypic.com/4zxa9t.jpg

RIP Harry Beckwith.

Cool pic, does the family still own the shop?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#6]
balls of steel
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip...

I agree, and the mental image of the criminal screaming "I'm hit" makes me laugh.

Me too
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

In the second shootout, the gun dealer interrupted a felon about to drive off with guns he'd heisted from the store. Though not a Class III weapons dealer, Beckwith was federally licensed to possess such arms for his own use. When the thug raised a .45 auto pistol at Harry, Beckwith trumped his ace with a burst of full automatic fire from a Smith & Wesson Model 76 9mm submachine gun. Struck in the forehead, the gunman dropped his pistol and screamed, "I'm hit!"

"Get out of the car," Beckwith roared back. The man did, and realizing he was still alive despite a gunshot wound in the forehead, he ran. Once more, Beckwith held fire.

The man was captured later and treated for an ugly but minor head injury from a flattened- out 9mm hollowpoint round that had lost most of it's energy piercing the safety glass of the windshield.

With three sticks of Extreme Shock ammo, he could have cleaned out Detroit.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:46:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome story. Had he went out there with just the revolver he may not have survived the night.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i47.tinypic.com/4zxa9t.jpg

RIP Harry Beckwith.

Cool pic, does the family still own the shop?

No, it was bought by Pickett Weaponry in 2006.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip...

Me too

My first thought was paintball
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I recall reading a story about a HK employee in Virginia who was chased down by some armed biker gang types while out on a country drive with his girlfriend. They drove for their lives and were violently pursued back to the HK corporate office, were he retrieved a Ruger AC556 he had been testing in R&D. He fired a burst in the air to dissuade the attackers, however the bikers told him flat out, your gonna have to kill us.....which he did.

The sad part is that some worthless prosecutor tried to fry him because he dispatched the scum with an "automatic weapon".

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I recall reading a story about a HK employee in Virginia who was chased down by some armed biker gang types while out on a country drive with his girlfriend.

Gary Fadden, also covered by Ayoob
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:27:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I recall reading a story about a HK employee in Virginia who was chased down by some armed biker gang types while out on a country drive with his girlfriend. They drove for their lives and were violently pursued back to the HK corporate office, were he retrieved a Ruger AC556 he had been testing in R&D. He fired a burst in the air to dissuade the attackers, however the bikers told him flat out, your gonna have to kill us.....which he did.

The sad part is that some worthless prosecutor tried to fry him because he dispatched the scum with an "automatic weapon".

Yeah, but did he yell "Because you suck, and we hate you!"?

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recall reading a story about a HK employee in Virginia who was chased down by some armed biker gang types while out on a country drive with his girlfriend.

Gary Fadden, also covered by Ayoob

That was a great read, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#16]

I lived in Gainesville for 10 years, and visited Harry's store quite often.  Harry did not fuck around.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I lived in Gainesville for 10 years, and visited Harry's store quite often.  Harry did not fuck around.

Yep, that's for sure, he didn't take any shit.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#18]
This is as awesome as the thread on it yesterday, or last month, or....
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but the guy who attacked him (I think they were hicks in a pickup truck, not bikers) yelled "fuck you and your automatic rifle" just before he got stitched.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Anyone who hangs around when the MACHINEGUN FIRE starts, deserves their Darwin Award.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but the guy who attacked him (I think they were hicks in a pickup truck, not bikers) yelled "fuck you and your automatic rifle" just before he got stitched.

"Fuck you and your automatic rifle" makes top ten of the 'dumbest, yet inherently prophetic, last words ever said' list.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#22]
All I can say is that I knew Harry and heard this story a few times from his own mouth.  There's a few details left out, but the gist is all there from the link above.  I do miss chatting with him over a cold Coca Cola while the smell of cheap cigars made me smell like an ashtray all day.  Harry and the Pickett's were friendly and still run the shop in his name.

Oh, the stories I could tell.  But I will keep the few I know just between me and Harry.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:27:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to love to visit that place when I was in college.  Harry had a kick-ass single action strapped to his hip at all times and was a nice change of pace from dealing with the other students all of the time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Tag for home
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#25]
fwiw Richard Garriott (founder of Origin Systems - Ultima online, wing commander,etc.., used an Uzi in self defense once (well sort of).

An overzealous gamer broke into his home to finish the quest.  Richard called police and reported that there was an intruder downstairs.  The police essentially told him if he had a gun, firing it would probably scare the intruder off.  He said ok, and fired off a burst -  I bet the dispatcher soiled his paints (it was not the racking slide sound expected).  Anyway the police caught the guy.  The intruder passed away a few years latter - apparently running around naked in the winter in some Southern state (die of exposure).
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

same here

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#27]
cool stories first time i ahve gotten to read and self defense with class 3 goodies.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#28]
"Fuck you and your automatic rifle"

I hope somebody was holding his beer for him.

That is classic.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top