Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2010 10:17:10 PM EDT
Yeah, there is a 1911 forum, but GD will be more likely to give me a good answer.

I acquired a Colt M1911 slide that appears barely shot, but stored poorly.  Previous owner apparently tried to buff off the bad finish in an effort to restore or something.  Who knows what happened to the frame.  There is light pitting on the right side of the slide (likely sat on the right side somewhere for decades), but otherwise the slide is perfect.  I did fire it yesterday (with drop-in GI parts) and it went through light target loads and then regular ball just fine.  I inspected it before and after and could find no evidence of cracking.

I realize the heat-treat of older M1911 slides (this one is likely a 1919 or 1920) was not consistent, but assuming this is a good slide, should I worry about the pitting?  The pitting isn't deep, but there is a cluster of pitting near the muzzle end.

ETA: Wow, I don't know where my mind is tonight.  I am talking about the SLIDE, not the frame.  Edited to reflect that...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally wouldn't worry about the pitting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Pitting?  No, I wouldn't worry about it.  But if you're worried about it, I'll buy the whole thing from you for, say, $50.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Pitting?  No, I wouldn't worry about it.  But if you're worried about it, I'll buy the whole thing from you for, say, $50.  

Cheap ass...I'll give $75
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#4]
How do you know that it is barely used when it looks like it's been neglected?

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
No problems other than cosmetic.   Try ceracoat.  it tends to fill in the smaller pits.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
$100. final offer
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#7]
This does not have anything to do with your pitting issue, but speaking of the durability of the slide / frame, I recall an article I read one time regarding the theory that a light recoil spring caused damage to the frame / slide, and running a shock buff would ruduce that damage.  The gunsmith (I don't remember who, but it was a well known guy) put a frame and slide in a fixture, removed the spring assembly all together, then used a pneumatic actuator of some sort to replicate the slide recoiling as it would while firing.  If I remember correctly, he gave up after something like 50,000 cycles without failure and decided the spring weight didn't matter much.

I wouldn't worry about some pitting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah, there is a 1911 forum, but GD will be more likely to give me a good answer.

Are you sure you go to the same GD that I do?  If you want a knowledgable answer, go to the tech forums.  If you want a bunch of "+1", "87", "SIIHPAPP", or "Cool Story Bro" post it in GD.  I suppose it is up to you to decide which of those you consider "good answers"...

ETA: My response is a perfect example.  No relation to the OP, just a bunch of mouthing off of no help whatsoever.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, there is a 1911 forum, but GD will be more likely to give me a good answer.....

Damn, you failed right off the bat...
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How do you know that it is barely used when it looks like it's been neglected?

Internal wear is barely perceptible and the bluing is about 90% internally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top